Lore Discussion

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Re: Lore Discussion

Post by assassingao » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:41 am

Many (thousand) years ago, Elementals fought between themselves, creating a blast (explosions/boom) that (literally) splits the world into 2 parts. The Antivoid and the Void.

All elementals were split into halves, the antivoidwalker and the voidwalker. Some antivoidwalker died before being sent into the antivoid. Some voidwalker died before being sent into the void.

But Antivoidwalker/Voidwalker from same elemental will have opposite powers, and will gain absolute control over their own power if one was consumed by the other.

Quite brief, I know. Tell me if I misunderstood something.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:29 am

assassingao wrote:Many (thousand) years ago, Elementals fought between themselves, creating a blast (explosions/boom) that (literally) splits the world into 2 parts. The Antivoid and the Void.
No, they didn't fight among themselves, or atleast most of them didn't. They were keeping the balance of their world until the Cataclysm split the world in two dimensions and split the elementals into VWs and AVWs. Some elementals survived the Cataclysm ie Hollow and Dahaka.
But Antivoidwalker/Voidwalker from same elemental will have opposite powers, and will gain absolute control over their own power if one was consumed by the other.
I don't believe they get absolute control over their affinity. They just become stronger if they absorb their counterpart.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 am

assassingao wrote:Many (thousand) years ago, Elementals fought between themselves, creating a blast (explosions/boom) that (literally) splits the world into 2 parts. The Antivoid and the Void.
No, Elementals never fought amongst themselves. The cataclysm was brought about by the death of a star, elementals fighting would have nowhere near sufficient power for that.
assassingao wrote:But Antivoidwalker/Voidwalker from same elemental will have opposite powers, and will gain absolute control over their own power if one was consumed by the other.
Also untrue. They will never be as powerful as the elemental that spawned them, meaning they won't have 'absolute' power. They will, however, control exceedingly effectively whatever power they were deigned to wield. Certainly more powerful than any other still-living being.

Basically, Loki's right.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:52 am

Interesting, but I was hoping more for a pro-logue? :(

*Hint hint*
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:19 pm

When it's ready.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:15 am

Loki wrote: Some elementals survived the Cataclysm ie Hollow and Dahaka.
Dahaka sure, but isn't Hollow limbotian in same manner Grayl is?

How does a AVW/VW consumes another VW/AVW? Just killing it, right?
If they do just kill it to consume it is there some kind of freak storm a la Highlander.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

iblablaman
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by iblablaman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:51 am

I'm not sure they consume themselves by killing, but we don't know since basically all the AVWs are not participating in the battle directly
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageYes, an egg, just because I can

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:04 pm

Limbotian is a word Kaome made up that describes Grayl's predicament, it does not actually carry over to anything in the story. Grayl is a being that is neither alive nor dead because he is a leftover shell from what he was when the cataclysm struck. He is 'in limbo', hence Kaome's limbotian.

Hollow is a pure elemental. This is why he serves the balance.
Deschain wrote:How does a AVW/VW consumes another VW/AVW? Just killing it, right?
If they do just kill it to consume it is there some kind of freak storm a la Highlander.
When a VW/AVW dies, they leave behind their essence in the form of an item. The greater the power and purpose of the VW/AVW, the more pronounced the artifact left behind is. A lesser voidwalker, for instance, would likely leave behind a puddle of slime or a pile of dust. A voidwalker has a tendency to leave behind a stress-ball-esque orb of their essence. A greater voidwalker (and some upper end normal voidwalkers), upon death, can imbue an artifact they carried or that carried significance to them (such as the weapon that killed them) with their essence. This is, for instance, the case with the Black Lantern and Rikter's Damnation. If the greater voidwalker has nothing to imbue like that, they leave behind a concentrated, perfect sphere of radiating energy. Such spheres could potentially be used as energy sources for numerous things.

When a VW/AVW consumes an AVW/VW, it is by merging with the essence, not by 'killing' the other. A baneite could kill an AVW and then a VW could absorb it, for example. There is no giant storm, no great transformations, nothing of note; all that happens is that the VW/AVW that consumes unlocks potentials within itself that it can now wield. It takes time to get used to these powers, though, so their access is not immediate.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:30 pm

That AR's avatar is making me wonder. Does Arro Kree have a symbol of the eye or is it a real eye?

Also when you said he had to sacrifice his humanity was it a real ritual (chanting, making pentagrams and losing it over time) or more like a rite of passage (kinda like Lex Luthor from Smallville)?
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:14 pm

His third eye actually does exist; it's an actual eye.

The sacrificing of his humanity is a gradual thing. It was not by some ritual or rite of passage, but rather came about slowly and unnoticed as a result of his choices and decisions. He never notices his third eye, and those with mortal eyes can never see it. It is there only to the most keen, his closest acquaintances, or those to which he directs his wrath.

Akruta
Champion Noobite

Post by Akruta » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Does Sozen survive into AotZ or not? Also did he participate in AotZ?

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Akruta wrote:Does Sozen survive into AotZ or not? Also did he participate in AotZ?
You know, Dusk, I think it would almost save time to just make a list of who survives and who doesn't, although that would kill all the fun. Also, Akruta, if I had to guess, I'd say look to Zenith's Oblivion as to who survives and who doesn't, as Kaome seems to have a fair bit of insider knowledge about it. Judging by ZO, I'd say yes...
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:21 am

Yes, Sozen does.
And yeah, Death has a point. Kao has documentation of who lives and so forth, specifically for use with ZO.
TheDeathStalker wrote:You know, Dusk, I think it would almost save time to just make a list of who survives and who doesn't, although that would kill all the fun.
I like it when people ressurect this thread with questions. It makes me happy.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 am

His third eye actually does exist; it's an actual eye.

The sacrificing of his humanity is a gradual thing. It was not by some ritual or rite of passage, but rather came about slowly and unnoticed as a result of his choices and decisions. He never notices his third eye, and those with mortal eyes can never see it. It is there only to the most keen, his closest acquaintances, or those to which he directs his wrath.
Too much magick it seems.

:D

If it is an actual eye, does he have sight-beyond-sight like Kisrug does, or anything else?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:12 am

No, he doesn't get any special powers or whatever from it. It more or less is a physical deformity that comes about as a harbinger of his power growth in other regards. Its functionality only serves to enhance his own perception whenever it opens.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”