Tristan, v1.09

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Tristan, v1.09

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:08 am

My waiter's name was Tristan last night! I had to resist yelling "I'm going to play as you!"
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:06 am

TheIrishPatriot wrote:My waiter's name was Tristan last night! I had to resist yelling "I'm going to play as you!"
No you didn't...

-1 rep.

Interesting that your art design for a magical/fantasy era is so heavily influenced by Sc2, maybe some steampunk artwork in the future :twisted: ?

Wufei
Champion Noobite

Post by Wufei » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:48 am

What I hate about all the non-archer Neutral heroes is that they're either A. really hard to modify (Tinker), B. have permanent effects that can't be removed(Dark Archer) or C. look freakin' ugly, to the point of being unable to modify without making it uglier (Alchemist... seriously, are there even any Alchemist skins?)

I'm curious though, there's only one creep-based hero skin currently in 1.08, right?(The Warlock guy... sorry, haven't played DoE in Aegis... might host today.)

dmaargke
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by dmaargke » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:53 am

I'm pretty sure atrius and skittle are both creep skins. I don't skin or do anything in word editor som I'm not certain but I think they are.
~Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.~

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Yes, they use the regular skins of the Crypt Fiend and the Ghoul, with Skittle beign a bit greener. But whatever, if a skin fits perfectly the hero you wanted to make, why would you waste your time trying to find a better one?

THE_END
Noobite Warrior

Post by THE_END » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:08 pm

The only good Firelord reskin would require his particles to be changed
The wrap itself truly isn't that horrid, just requires some work like all skin wraps ;)
And the Tinker..yea not much that can be done
I think Erwt did the most when he did that little gnome thing he made a WHILE ago
And the Alchemist can be made into a few things
Erwt's skin is yet another example of that
The ogre that the goblin rides can be made into an assortment of creatures
Here's an idea off the top of my head, gorilla ridden by a chimp, boom there ya go
Though..theres no need for monkeys in DoE :P
For the Legion

HyperActive
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by HyperActive » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Actually if you're thinking on that Fire Memphit from B&B, it was done by Hueter. Jeez I remember seeing it for the first time at wc3sear.ch, I was so hypnotized. Such a good concept. Nirvana_87 also did a bitching skin on the same model.

Each time I see a skin as good as this (and all skins in DoE are ;) ) I promise myself to work hard and learn to texture myself. Each time I lie...
Ingame pic plz?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 pm

I'm curious though, there's only one creep-based hero skin currently in 1.08, right?(The Warlock guy... sorry, haven't played DoE in Aegis... might host today.)
Skittel - Crypt Fiend
Atrius - Ghoul
Kassar - Myrmidon
Fahren Kaa - Troll Berserker
Parhelios - Spellbreaker

I prefer to use hero models, but oftentimes there just aren't enough good ones. I wish I had access to a modeller that cared about my work enough to do stuff for it, it would allow me to do a lot of my cooler concept heroes.
The only good Firelord reskin would require his particles to be changed
The wrap itself truly isn't that horrid, just requires some work like all skin wraps ;)
And the Tinker..yea not much that can be done
I think Erwt did the most when he did that little gnome thing he made a WHILE ago
And the Alchemist can be made into a few things
Erwt's skin is yet another example of that
The ogre that the goblin rides can be made into an assortment of creatures
Here's an idea off the top of my head, gorilla ridden by a chimp, boom there ya go
Though..theres no need for monkeys in DoE
Yeah, but the problem isn't the skin, it's the skills. What skills would you give a monkey riding a gorilla? Banana throw? Come on now. The only two Alchem skins I've seen that didn't fail were Nirvana's Snowman skin and the Oven/Imp combo in B&B by Hueter, otherwise they all fail miserably. Maybe there's still some room for innovation, but I'd need a damned good theme and skillset in advance.

The firelord needs particle replacements and the model to reimport is too large to merit such a goal. Besides, there's not much can be done with it except a hero elemental creature, it's too flowy to be anything else. The tinker is tough too because of minimal options, but again it's all in the skills. He's got all of these mechanical looking animations, so it would be weird to use anything other than mechanical looking spells. I have some ideas, but it would require some good texturing.
Ingame pic plz?
Sure, when I get home in 12 hours. He looks really epic scary, it's great.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

HyperActive
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by HyperActive » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:56 pm

When I see thinker I think of an squid-man, with those mechanical arms.
Doc Ok, hehehe.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:00 pm

For the alchemist?

I could really see Scamp that enslaved an ogre or whatever the hell he wanted to. He could have a skill to ride off of it, to make him breathe fire, send itself as a suicide bomber...

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

And then make it fly...

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:41 pm

THAT'S WHAT IT IS!
There was a phrase running through my head when I saw him, but I couldn't form it.
Now however, it came rushing back to me.
I fear only Dusk will get the jest though....

"Do you have a castle? NO YOU DON'T!"
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”