Tooltip Adjustments

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Tooltip Adjustments

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:25 am

Alright, opinion time.
That's how it looks currently.

This is the 1.09 version that I've toiled with to come to terms with the colors and such. Does that look atrocious? Will you cry rivers because I shorten the tooltips' lengths by a sentence and remove the lore that's build into it? Do you like how I explained it? Is it intuitive to you that structures are immune to conditions and thus cannot be knocked down?

It's really hard for me to try to guess how people with react to it. I, for one, like the new method, but I don't know about you all. Comments?
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Tooltip Adjustments

Post by Soul_Reaver » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:15 am

*Does that look atrocious?
I find it fine. Tooltips could use the color change ever 10 versions. Doesn't become boring. :)
*Will you cry rivers because I shorten the tooltips' lengths by a sentence and remove the lore that's build into it?
Has no gameplay modifications, no.
*Do you like how I explained it?
It's similiar to the previos one, and at least you will see what it does, instead of having to read the lore.
* Is it intuitive to you that structures are immune to conditions and thus cannot be knocked down?
In most games, structures are immune to most spells.

Fledermaus
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Fledermaus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:16 am

I like it with the "lore" but I could deal with them the new way.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:59 am

Shorter = Better
This is the 1.09 version that I've toiled with to come to terms with the colors and such.
Blue looks better, green looked weird.

But for the tooltip that lists damage, I think the whole "deals X magical damage" should be labeled. Not just the damage type.
Also, the conditions/stun/knockdown should uses a color that differs from white, maybe like gray.

Does that look atrocious?
It looked good. Just change the colors plz.
Will you cry rivers because I shorten the tooltips' lengths by a sentence and remove the lore that's build into it?
Nope, the spell acts the same as it usually did, so why should I care? It's easier for newbies to understand the skill, so I won't cry rivers longing for the lost lore. But crying that "you made it easier to understand for newb yesyesyes!"

Do you like how I explained it?
Kinda yeah, but DoE has no spell that damages the tower and doesn't damage the units, so maybe removing "units and structures" and replace it with "also affects structures" at the end of the tooltip.
Is it intuitive to you that structures are immune to conditions and thus cannot be knocked down?
It's kinda the same thing as "poison doesn't affect towers", "Stuns doesn't affect towers" or whatever. I don't think it's the important topic. Because in every other AoSes, structures doesn't fall down and rise after a few seconds because it is a structure.

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:17 am

Personally I find that if it has a little bit of lore it adds to the spell, otherwise everything ends up bland and "Deals X damage, does X condition. End."

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Cooldood » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:51 am

Personally I think you should keep the targets feild... For some spells it is obvious, but on a few it isnt. I like the colour and the other changes though :)
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

Merlin
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Merlin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:56 am

All units and structures in the target area take 120
magickal damage per second. Units are knocked down
for 1 second every 3 seconds.
Lasts 15 seconds.

It isn't intuitive that buildings can't be knocked down, just like it isn't intuitive that maim affects your arms, and cripple; your legs.

I think it's quite pretty in that it's minimalistic and simplistic, and the colors are suitable too.

Fledermaus
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Fledermaus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:35 am

Would it be possible to have cooldown being last again? It just looks so weird with the short line (Range) Before the spell description. Maybe it's just me?

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:23 am

Magick is spelled magic. And armageddon's CD is supposed to be 120, and its currently 60 in game

EDIT: Also, the spell type isn't a channeled aoe indicator, that's the targeting system. Perhaps indicate the aoe on some spells, like fireball, corrosion or taint

dmaargke
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by dmaargke » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:52 am

The magick vs magic thing was discussed in an earlier topic.

I like the new style but that green is kinda ugly. Not a big deal and overall I'd say it's an improvement.
~Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.~

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:09 am

I like it, and I like how it specifies if it is physical or magical. About the whole magickal thing: I don't mind, but some Bnetters will. Loudly.

I miss the lore, because it looks bland, and the lore gives you a sense of the aesthetics on a new hero, but it is unnecesary, and it is better shorter.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:52 am

Magick is spelled magic.
Purely dialect. I spell magick with a k, and no matter how many English teachers and people on the internet complain about it I'm not going to change it.

Also, the reason I chose green was because blue/red are being used for 'PHYSICAL' or 'MAGICKAL' damage type inclusions. If they are standardly blue, the 'MAGICKAL' line will blur in and look weird. (I already tried it) I've worked with every single other color in the visible light spectrum and all of them look ridiculous. (Be glad I didn't post the purple or orange ones...) Also, I have to change it away from Blue because Cassiel won't shut up about how he thinks I copied ToB.
All units and structures in the target area take 120
magickal damage per second. Units are knocked down
for 1 second every 3 seconds.
Lasts 15 seconds.
I give BNet too much credit, ultimately you are correct. What's intuitive for me isn't for most people.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Just playing around. I think the cooldown field looks better coming after range, personally. Thought on this color scheme?

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:51 pm

I like it.

Clean, explained well enough for noobs and pros alike.

Excellent colors to highlight important numbers.

Perhaps one thing, turn damage numbers into a different color, such as yellow?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:08 pm

It looks too overcolored that way, I did try that too.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”