1.09 and Beyond

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

1.09 and Beyond

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 am

So, you all mostly know already that 1.09 will be the last version of DoE for at least a few months (At the very least until summer), leaving room for us to finally get rolling in AotZ 3.00 and other projects. However, I want to emphasize that since DoE won't be getting updated for awhile, Nirvana and I are working to make it into the greatest shit since sliced bread.

More than half a dozen skins will be revised and enhanced in the 1.09 version release, including Rose, Janise, the new heroes, and so forth. DoE will also be seeing a huge hero update in 1.09, unleashing into the world 4 additional new heroes for you all to prance around and own ass with for a few months.

The heroes, for your benefit, will be the following:
  • Meridia, the Phantom Widowmaker (Dark Ranger)
  • Dagurnott, the Monolith Colossus (Pit Lord)
  • Parhelios, the Anima Annihilus (Spell Breaker)
  • ??? (Contest Winner)
If critical bugs occur, I'll of course release the necessary fixes, I won't leave them months to rot away at your brains. However, I'd request that if you have anything you'd like to see in .09 that is reasonable, tell me and I'll see to it! If you want a sample of some of the art being done for the version, check out my avatar! He's gotten really into it!

Rawr.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

RadON
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Re: 1.09 and Beyond

Post by RadON » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:45 am

Aesthetics are great and all, but what about balance between the four new heroes you're adding and the veterans?
1.09b, 1.09c, hell, maybe a 1.09d to get it right.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:07 am

Good to hear about the skins. I've never really liked Rose and Janise's skins. And in general I love Nirvana's skins and icons. I take it that the icon is Glasse?

Besides that, nothing to say but looking forward to it.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:09 am

I've never really liked Rose and Janise's skins
They're not being redone entirely, only updated. Personally, anyone that can't appreciate the quality of his work in DoE can go away and never come back for all I care.

And the balance shouldn't be too wretched. I'm not doing anything as drastic as Malth. :p

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:13 am

Thanks, Dusk. Maybe it came on a bit too strongly. They're good skins, and definitely far into the upper half of the skins made for maps, I just felt that his newer skins showed improvements over those two.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:30 am

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I agree. He's come a loooong way since he started working on DoE, and he's updating the faces in particular of his skins to make them prettier and the such. You also have to realize, a lot of the quality loss on those skins is the compression used to make the map filesize small. They're actually all absolutely incredible in the model editor.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 am

Ah, ok. That makes sense with the shrinking of quality. It was on the faces that I thought the contrast was particularly obvious. The faces on Janise and Rose are quite good, but they aren't like the gorgeous faces on Innert (I think he made Innert, right?) or Ztera. And all the icons are just awesome.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 am

Yeah, the faces get updated on both Rose and Janise, and you'll love Meridia's skin. :3
I must confess though, lurv Innert's skin. It's so stylized, it's great.

RadON
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by RadON » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:52 am

Skins like Vertejaune's are what make me proud of playing DoE and not DotA.

Blue.Frog
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Blue.Frog » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 am

However, I'd request that if you have anything you'd like to see in .09 that is reasonable
The treb upgrades.

Each of your trebs can be upgraded once per game. Upgrades cost faction (6-10ish), and make them significantly more powerful.

Examles:

Incendiary Boulders - 1.5 damage of original, + has the demolisher burning oil effect.

Corpses - (Actually a tactic used in warfare during medieval times) The trebs now throw rotten, diseased corpses instead of boulders. They do .5 damage and leave a disease cloud where they land that infects units inside of it.

Larger Boulders - 2.25 damage of original.

Steve
Revenent of the Replies
Location: Dropping lasers or meteors on some unfortunate bystander... what?

Post by Steve » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 am

Dagurnott and Parhelios are OWNAGE names. :D
The enemy are in disarray, ride them down as they run
Send them to their violent graves, don't spare anyone
Dead and wounded lie all around, see the pain in their eyes
Over the field an eerie sound, as we hear the raven's cry

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:12 am

You know, I've put off treb upgrades for a reason. They don't really add anything at all to the map, they take unnecessary work and for what? So your trebuchets can hit creeps with a new projectile? Most creeps die outright from them, and hitting heroes dead on is terribly scarce, so as a player I'd rather sell my faction for gold than invest it in the trebuchets.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:48 am

5 faction to siege a tower or base then?
Randomly selected of course.
I mean the 'test' at the start of the map on the upper Bane base leaves a noticeable chunk missing, so its not like they don't deal any damage to it. I'm not saying it's HUGE, but I'd pay for faction to demolish a tower or building we 'fail' to destroy then let some workers jack it back to full.

But thats just me, since I hardly use faction anyway.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:53 am

I see your point, but I'd feel that then workers would lose their entire use, since you'd just pummel the dang base to oblivion once it gets low enough. And it's more fun for me to charge randomly into a base against 6 heroes all defending, just to get that last hit on a tower.

Maybe, though. Let me think about that.

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:04 pm

I liked the idea of them being able to repair a tower back if you didnt press the issue. When you get a tower low and they get workers up there it forces you to keep pushing forward otherwise risk them repairing it to full health. wich you would do in a real battle. Someone pushes in and hurts your defence once your done defending it you repair the damages so that it isnt any easier for them to get in.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”