Multiboard

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.

Which option do you like for multiboards?

A
38%
B
62%

Total votes: 13

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Multiboard

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Okay, so I have been consolidating fields on the multiboard to make the thing as small as possible while still being as descriptive as possible. I had a thought, though, that would severely shrink the multiboard at the possible cost of understandability. The thing is, though, that I believe the abbreviations I'd be using are standard enough across BNet that most people would know what is going on! I want your opinion so I don't do something you all hate, though.

A) The multiboard currently lists "Kills", "Assists", "Deaths", "Spree", and "Level". The first option is for these to remain unchanged. This is the most readable and the easiest for noobs to figure out, I guess.
B) The multiboard would list instead, "K", "A", "D", "S", and "L". I know for a fact that K, A, and D are standard enough that people would know what those are. S and L might be a bit obscure, but I don't know if the loss of readability makes up for the inches of space it'd save on-screen. I mean, with this change you might actually be able to leave the multiboard open all game without raging at how much space it takes.

So let me know what you think.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

HyperActive
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Re: Multiboard

Post by HyperActive » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:54 pm

If you are abbreviations, why not use icons instead?
For example:
- Kills: An ordinary sword, or weapons of any sort.
- Assists: Two weapons crossed, like the patrol icon.
- Deaths: Broken shield, maybe?
- Spree: Thinking...
- Level: Just use the standard ability icon, the red cross, or even the yellow one (maybe you can use the yellow one for spree).

I remember in that Nature Tower Defense by Darky, there were some custom made icons, low pixel size for lives, waves, but very distinct. You should check it out.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:15 pm

could use some screenshot examples, though I don't think that any leaderboard would have me keep it up, this info just isn't a thing you'd want to have your eyes on at all time

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Really don't care enough to make screenshots. I guess I will just leave it as is for now. Also, icons are less conventional than letters, HyperActive. If the user only sees icons, they need to learn what those icons mean. K, A, and D are standards, so they would already know what they mean.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Yeah, they've learnt from DotA for the K/A/D/L. But S, as you said, would be obscure.

I go for abbreviation.

Av3n
Noobite Warrior

Post by Av3n » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:11 pm

For level wouldn't it be better to use "Lvl" instead of "L"?

-Av3n

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Are K/A/D/S/L the order they're going to appear in-game? Because Level would both make more sense and look better as the first letter. Other than that, I think this would definitely be a good change. Voted for B. oO

Psiclone
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Location: As you can see from my avatar, I'm currently on the run from a--OH MY GOD!

Post by Psiclone » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:36 am

I voted for B simply because any player who would play it multiple times would eventually figure them out through trial and error.
Intellectuals are like the Mafia; they only kill their own.
-Woody Allen -
ImageImageImageImageImage

Soul_Reaver
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Soul_Reaver » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:36 pm

Voted for B.
It'd be a great change for 1.14b.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:49 pm

I honestly think it's fine as is. I wouldn't keep it open anyway, so I like it better as is, with the added clarity. I would, however, be an advocate of putting L first (so the order would be L, K, A, D, S) if you do change it.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:53 pm

I fail to see the reason why L being first is better than L being last.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:47 pm

It's more clear, as the first column would be glanced by players in first sight, and are more important compared to kills/death/assists.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:53 pm

That isn't a very good reason at all, actually.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:56 pm

I'd move the levels to the position near the icons. Easier to look what heroes are in which level, plus uncluttered by K/D/A/S.

You could use different color for S, though. It might be more clear if it's pink/red-tone, so people might know what it actually does.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 pm

assassingao wrote:I'd move the levels to the position near the icons. Easier to look what heroes are in which level, plus uncluttered by K/D/A/S.
This is actually a rather good idea, even if I don't replace "Level" of "L." I will probably remove the word "Level" or "L" altogether and just put the number next to the hero icon. People will be able to figure that out really easy since the number directly correlates to the hero.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”