Potions

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Potions

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Are potions really necessary to the map now? I've questioned their existence since the recent double whammy to the potions. (Doubled time, and doesn't work on bleed/burn) Condition pots aren't that fun either, as the never-touched Whitewater Purge stands alone, never seen and always forgotten. Removing it would emphasize the rings of vigor and vim, which would be a cooler touch to the map than potions.
Thus I propose the removal of potions completely, thoughts?
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Re: Potions

Post by Loki » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I thought you of all people would appreciate potions. lol

The way i see it, it's supposed to emphasize and encourage the use for purity potions.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:34 pm

But purity pots are pretty lame when there's whitewater purge. And that would make whitewater really cool, win win!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by VZManticoran » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:18 am

*Throws support behind* I've been playing, and I have to say, I totally agree. Potions always seemed to me to be moderately silly. You could buy healing and mana regeneration better than that of the fountain, and as long as you could avoid taking damage, you'd be fine. I've avoided the Purity potions just on principle, since they allow someone to completely ignore the long-term effects of heroes such as Rose. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to keep them in, besides the fact that they work as a way to simply outhealth and outmana your opponents, because unless they're also buying potions, they simply can't compete with the resources you're throwing at them. And that just seems fairly silly to me.
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 am

That's another thing, potions remove some actual skill in encounters, instead of having to go to the fountain (which you really should) you have birds bring in potions. Doesn't seem very elegant.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:26 am

I dislike the potion removing the planning part of assaults. Instead of searching for a party of heroes low on stats and going in for a planned, decisive strike, you get a couple bastards who heal completely and make planning for large battles pointless, because it's usually suicide even with attacker's advantage. And purity pots are just game-breaking. With enough of them several heroes' offensive plans can be almost completely nullified.

Remove!
Can you hear them?

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:12 am

Purity potions should depletes 50% of the conditions that the hero had, or even 80%, just to make sure that the length of conditions still remain.

Jirinal
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Jirinal » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:44 am

Hahaha, geez this reminds me of 3 rounds of doe i had yesterday...
People didnt even knewd what to do with their money and flamed the map because it had no good items to buy with money. So i told them to buy potions with statisfied them kinda...
Ofcourse i told them to buy creeps but they was like, wah creeps sucks theyre just feeding the enemy exp.
In the end our team won because i was the only one using my gold for spawns instead of potions.

But you people probably got more experience with harder and tougher matchups so you can argue with more background informations on it.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:57 pm

SetaSoujirou wrote:...as the never-touched Whitewater Purge stands alone, never seen and always forgotten.
SetaSoujirou wrote:But purity pots are pretty lame when there's whitewater purge. And that would make whitewater really cool, win win!
Uh. What? Unless I'm seeing this wrong, you are saying that you'd get WWP over purities just after when you said WWP is never used.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm saying it isn't used because purities already do more than what WWP does minus the little damage reduction and 8 faction cost. It'd actually have a CHANCE to be taken in the absence of purity potions.

Edit: So we tried a not pot game. It was terrible, maybe it was the pubbies, maybe it was the fact that we're all too reliant on pots. Whatever. Remove purity, make hp/mp pots heal less overall and cost more, like AotZ costs.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:45 pm

What made that game terrible?

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Everyone was playing defensively as hell, which made it lul.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Tupolev
Noobite Warrior

Post by Tupolev » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:26 pm

SetaSoujirou wrote:Everyone was playing defensively as hell, which made it lul.
Likely a result of not being able to heal quickly away from fountains.

Which is why mana and health pots in some form or another = a must.

I'm fine with purity pots being thrown out though. They just seem on the lame side of things.

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Cooldood » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:41 pm

How about an empty bottle that has survived through the ages. It can store healing water for up to 3 uses, each healing hitpoints and mana over X seconds.
Alternatively it can be used to capture magical runes for 2 minutes.

:roll:
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:20 pm

The problem with DoE is how easily you can pwn other people, this is why pots (particularly the condition cancelling pots) make it possible for you to stay out of base longer and survive some ganks.

No Dota Bottle, gtfo!

Return to “Updates & Discussion”