Items: Round 2

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Items: Round 2

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:58 am

So, I've been eyeballing those booster 3 faction items at the top left panda with a bit of disdain. Now that we've got upgraded items (which are awesome, by the way), no one except those whoring certain condition durations actually buys them. So I got to thinking that maybe we could whip up some kind of fun and games for those 8 item slots.

One thing I was thinking of bringing back -- don't hate me for it -- is the Crystalline Band:

Crystalline Band
  • Teleport to target point and then suffer from Mute and Cripple for 6 seconds.
I'm trying to work conditions back into things across the board and give some more functionality therein. Blink is only bad because it entirely nullifies how certain things can work. Do you think it's so bad I should keep it out or give this a shot to bring it back in -- at a big cost to the user.

And I was looking into some other effects I liked...

<Some cool item name thingy>
  • Adds 100 max mana and physical damage you deal burns 8 mana from the struck foe.
I'd also like to investigate any other neat effects you think could interact with stuff, so don't hesitate to post! :)
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Items: Round 2

Post by 2-P » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:49 am

Go away with Crystalline Band. >: I dunno, the "big cost to the user" would have to be so big (to balance it) that the item would be too unappealing.

I like the 3 fac items for their... simplicity. But yeah, they're not very popular since the introduction of the new 8 fac items. It's just that most of the 8 fac items are so much more useful for certain heroes than 3 fac items.
So I'd rather like to see the current 3 fac items buffed than removed.

What about that? Make it possible to use the upgrade kit on them, so they can go up to 40% increase/50% decrease or whatever.
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:53 am

2P pretty much nailed it for me.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:07 am

I don't like any of those ideas, you could pretty much ruin an entire game with AoE mana-burning (like ATRIUS, gosh.)

And by adding in penalty after blinking, it's pretty much encouraged to flee with blink. So nah.

My suggestion is, within X seconds after blinking (or while blink is on cooldown), the user will receive 100% more duration time for each condition, so it would be a tad harder to run with it, but not impossible. Plus, you can be potentially devastating to the blinking player at the right time.

My suggestions:

Sacrificing gloves
Deal X damage to the hero, and heals surrounding units for Y hp.

Mooneater
Whilst holding this item at night, the hero is half-transparent and had no collision with other units. (Trees, destructibles still blocks the hero.)

Silence Ward
Mutes the hero and surrounding enemies by X seconds.

Preserverer
Magickal damage done to the hero will be converted into physical damage. Can be clicked to convert physical damage into magickal damage instead.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:34 am

Infinate Napsack
  • Allows the user to store up to X potions within this bag.
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:49 pm

I am more interested in condition interaction than allowing users to subvert the 6 item limit. Trust me, that limit is there for a good reason.
assassingao wrote:I don't like any of those ideas, you could pretty much ruin an entire game with AoE mana-burning (like ATRIUS, gosh.)
If you stand in Sandstorms for kicks, you're probably not the brightest light on the runway anyways. I am still convinced that a feedback-on-physical item would be awesome.

I see what you're both saying about the crystalline band thing, though. I just really love the diversity in building that blink provides; it seems a tragedy to remove it entirely, but your points really are infallible.
assassingao wrote:My suggestions:
Your suggestions in the first few don't have anything to do with the map and in the last two really don't have an overwhelming benefit. I could potentially see the Muting Ward being awesome, though, so I'll think about that one. The "Preserverer" really doesn't draw my attention, though, since it would mean you could funnel all damage from anything on the map into a single damage type. That would permit too successful of tanking for a majority of heroes.

Merlin
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Merlin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Vitality Band: Flasks of Healing and Greater Healing are x% more effective.
Meditative Brooch: Flasks of Refreshing and Greater Refreshing are x% more effective.
Guardian Pendant: Flasks of Purity and Greater Purity render you immune to conditions for x seconds.

gief poshuns sum luv

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:42 pm

Because potions are not great enough as is.
I would get the crystalline band, just I'd switch my build to include either a condition pot or WWPurge.
<33 to you crystalline band.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Bonder Shackles: For X seconds, all conditions the target unit (allied or enemy) receives are applied to the Hero, and vice versa.

Astronomical: Incoming magickal damage has an X% chance to cause the attacker to suffer from extended: Burn during the day; Mute during the night. Extends by Y seconds.

My TWO cents. Get it!?

-

As an afterthought...
The 3 faction upgrades should cost 100 gold and 2 faction instead. I personally find it hard to get the third faction, and even when I do have it, I would probably save it for an 8F item.

And, Crystalline Band might be balanced if it debuffs you by causing the CASTER to be vulnerable to physical-feedback damage for a short time. Or, even better, the vulnerability is PERMANENT.

-

It would be interesting for a permanent item to upgrade the Condition remover potion to also cause all conditions to be transfered to nearby enemies.
And then have a separate item that upgrades both mana and health potions to make them heal you faster, or something.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Bloodlord's Essence: Whenever you deal magical damage to an enemy, heals you for X life per condition on that enemy.
Axe of the Berserker: Use: Cripples and Ruins the caster, but makes them immune to Mute, Blind, and Maim for X seconds.

Crevax
Server Owner/Manager

Post by Crevax » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm very wary about the Crystalline Band. Having some sort of iteration with conditions (in a negative way, of course) sounds like it might work on paper; but I honestly wouldn't know for sure.

I'm thinking that, if anything, have it Ruin, Mute, Blind, or a combination of the three; or the user for X seconds, or extend all conditions inflicted on the user by X% for Y seconds. Personally, ruin sounds like the best possible choice; but mute and blind are considerations (even if only a small one).
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Hydroplisk wrote:The 3 faction upgrades should cost 100 gold and 2 faction instead. I personally find it hard to get the third faction, and even when I do have it, I would probably save it for an 8F item.
I was actually thinking something similar, to be perfectly honest. I'll think about it a bit more, though.
Phox wrote:Bloodlord's Essence: Whenever you deal magical damage to an enemy, heals you for X life per condition on that enemy.
That reminds me that I need to update the Bleeder to work on physical damage, not attacks.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:27 pm

I'm with 2P on this one. I'd rather see upgrades be applied to 3 faction items than adding new items.
I don't think you can really replace those items with something better. They were like bread. Edible just not too great on its own.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:04 pm

I still think they really don't have any potential for seeing use even if they can be upgraded. I mean, 50% more cripple/mute is ridiculous, 66% stun reduction may as well be immunity with Crown. I see some... Issues, in that way of thinking.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Really now, upgrading the current ones makes them either OP or they stay about the same as earlier.
Do people really extend bleed or blind?
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”