Talking about Invisibility

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Talking about Invisibility

Post by assassingao » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:10 am

We need a new invisible-detecting item...

Discuss.

Information:
Right now, we need 8 factions for a 4 second invis-revealing item. And that's too hard to get when you're fuckpwnt by Atrius

My suggestion is, split the invis-detection ability in the optic amulet, to another item. (Maybe bring back "the eye") Because 4 second of invisible-reveal are too useless.

And heroes without AoE skills are simply fuxpwnt against invisible stuff.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Talking about Invisibility

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:44 pm

If it were my call, there wouldn't even be a detector item and I'd make all invisibilities breakable on dealing or taking damage. However, that would make for a lot of cries of havoc against Atrius and shit.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:If it were my call, there wouldn't even be a detector item and I'd make all invisibilities breakable on dealing or taking damage. However, that would make for a lot of cries of havoc against Atrius and shit.
Its not too hard to detect where Atrius is in a sandstorm. Hold alt tab and watch a creep's health bar is butt twinked in chunks. Not to mention AoE heroes like Kree can practically guess where he is and just spam his abilities in the center of the storm.

If he's getting nerfed he should get a buff to smooth things out amirite? Like every time he breaks invisibility by attacking he deals X extra damage. That sounds like a real strike from beyond.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:00 pm

You know...you might be able to guess which unit got damaged, but against a good Atrius, you just can't guess the direction of damage.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:45 pm

ReDSeX wrote: Its not too hard to detect where Atrius is in a sandstorm. Hold alt tab and watch a creep's health bar is butt fandangled in chunks. Not to mention AoE heroes like Kree can practically guess where he is and just spam his abilities in the center of the storm.
Doesn't always work against smart players ( yes I'm smart! ) as I'll hit a creep twice, move somewhere else. And I never stand in the sandstorm itself, that's where players think Atrius is always. I come up from behind to attack heroes like arro or stille, etc.. but then, that's just rewarding for being smart.
ReDSeX wrote:If he's getting nerfed he should get a buff to smooth things out amirite? Like every time he breaks invisibility by attacking he deals X extra damage. That sounds like a real strike from beyond.
That's actually a nice idea, should that happen. As one of the most atrius player ( wut? ) you'd think I'd cry if invis broke on attacks, but honestly, I've been all for change lately.

polishgangsta
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by polishgangsta » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:01 pm

i liked Morgana's style of invisibility (get too close and you lose invis). (just putting it out there, as it wouldn't really work for atrius)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Atrius is so ninja it's not even funny.

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:47 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:If it were my call, there wouldn't even be a detector item and I'd make all invisibilities breakable on dealing or taking damage. However, that would make for a lot of cries of havoc against Atrius and shit.
Agreed, invisibility should be breakable like it was always intended to be. Hmm, I just read something interesting about invisibility in a tabletop game that I used to play. In their version of invisibility, units with invisibility still leave footprints and can be "tracked" that way.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:59 am

There are two problems with that, Rectifier. The first being that some people play without footprints, and the second being that it's nearly unnoticeable by most in the heat of combat anyway. (Especially when he's in a cluster of units) this is all assuming he doesn't lay some special trail that's distinct.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

BD423
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by BD423 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 am

if u were to do the invisibilty nerf, would atrius break on attack then have a fade time before being invisible again? so hed pop out for 2 seconds to get a couple strikes in then go invisi again? sry if this is a nub question jsut dont realy understand why atrius needs a nerf ive never had a problem dealing with him.
I swear to drunk im not god.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:43 am

Illidan's footprints are fairly distinct.

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 am

Hell_Tempest wrote:Illidan's footprints are fairly distinct.
They're still impossible to see through an effect like sandstorm.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:48 pm

BD423 wrote:if u were to do the invisibilty nerf, would atrius break on attack then have a fade time before being invisible again? so hed pop out for 2 seconds to get a couple strikes in then go invisi again? sry if this is a nub question jsut dont realy understand why atrius needs a nerf ive never had a problem dealing with him.
I never have any problems with him, but apparently some people do, and the optic amulet is not good enough. Personally I'd like the eye over the amulet as that at least takes some micro.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Oh I never meant it necessarily for Atrius, but rather as an idea to think about in general.

Like, what else does invisibility not cover up besides footprints?

External Objects (including weapons, shields, spells, etc.)

Smell (remember some of the bane heroes aren't exactly "clean")

And at the same time you have to think of what invisibility does cover up:

Internal Objects (stuff in pockets, etc.)

Clothing touching the skin

If unbreakable invisibility really does become an issue for gameplay, then we, as in the community, will need to think of a clever idea that can allow us to figure out how to find an invisible hero, even if it is something as mundane as a windwalk sound effect or something clever and just as subtle.

Merlin
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Merlin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 pm

If you want to be all realistic, turning invisible makes you blind since no light hits your retina. Quake-inspired solution anyone?

Return to “Updates & Discussion”