Items

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Items

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:16 pm

What pisses me off is that stupid people assume that "items not being worthless to buy" suddenly equates to "items are a focus of the map." What makes them a focus of the map? The design? Of course not, the people do, you people do. You think that item with +33% condition duration on shit you use will make the difference? It might, and if you think it does then it motivates you to get it. Will it win the game? It might.

However, regardless of what items you get (Unless you're Kassar with that stupid Drakescale Armor, should've never made it), you can still rush a lane as Arro Kree, Aurea, Vert, Maltheron, Meridia, Dis, or whomever and win the game in one epic push of awesome. You think beating a computer controlled base is boring? Yeah, guess what, it is. You know what isn't boring? Beating that God damned base in the face of 6 kill hungry assholes that are going to whine and moan that you won the game. Yeah, I freakin' live for that shit.

So if you play for the items and for the kills, you can have your items, they're there so that you can have a little fun on the side while you focus on the more imperative goal of winning the game. If I wanted it to be a hero kill bonanza, it would be a hero arena and not an AoS. Regardless, I play for a far purer purpose than items and hero kills, I play for epicness.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 am

Ggaahhhhh
This threads become a "Why I play DoE" thread. I play for the fun of it. For the sake of winning, for the epic base pushes, and for the charred remains of fallen heroes that I leave in my wake. But you guys have perverted why I made this thread.

It was supposed to be a simple question really. I've always admired the hero designs and the condition interaction with DoE's heroes. But the item interaction can sometimes augment a heroes' design that it just perturbs me when you create something so hypocritical. DoE wasn't supposed to be item based. Its not, but you can't deny that they can have a pretty large impact on the gameplay.

Especially certain items *coughwhitewaterpurgeteleporteruncough*

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:42 pm

Hero > item dependant hero
Hero with items < item dependant hero with items

Skilled player > unskilled player

Rock > scissor > paper > rock

Team > no team

Using this diagram, figure out which hero ends up being the stronger

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Kassar
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:30 pm

RedSex wrote:But you guys have perverted why I made this thread.
No, seriously, stop thinking you're some saint gracing us with your posts because you're not. You started spewing shit about destroying a computer-controlled base being "not too much fun" and how hero killing is more fun. Yeah, if you're going to cry about the thread taking a sharp turn in direction you have no one to blame but yourself.
RedSex wrote:But the item interaction can sometimes augment a heroes' design that it just perturbs me when you create something so hypocritical.
Hypocritical? Do you even know what an item is supposed to do in ANY map? It's supposed to augment the hero, it's supposed to interact with the hero, it's supposed to make the hero better. It is not supposed to change the way the hero is played -- And none of the DoE items do that. They interact with the hero and open up new possibilities, but your hero is always very much your hero regardless of what items you get. I have never said anything other than that, which if anything makes me a man of my word and far from hypocritical.
RedSex wrote:Its not, but you can't deny that they can have a pretty large impact on the gameplay.
And they should, otherwise they shouldn't exist at all.

Anyways, because this is just going to go back and forth without end, I'm going to lock this.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Updates & Discussion”