Items

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Items

Post by ReDSeX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:46 pm

I like DoE. Its great. But I don't understand why some items are practically tailored for certain heroes. Bleeder for Anick? WWP/Condition Pots against Exuro? Optic Amulet against Atrius? I understand that these items are useful for any hero if used right, but one of the things I always like about DoE is how it wasn't item dependent. Or at least not too item dependent. A heroes' usefullness and abilities shouldn't be completely shot to the pooper because someone has the right items. That's pretty.... dota-esque.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Items

Post by Hell_Tempest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Sometimes I don't even get items and get like more kills than anybody else, so i don't really see what you're talking about.

Flameboy
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Flameboy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:33 pm

We always said DoE was not item dependant.
Why when I say ''Tristan's invulnerability is too spammable'' People answer ''Get amulet''
I thought dusk had once said that ''you shouldn't need to buy an item to counter a skill/hero
Also, talking about amulet, it seems to be the 4 seconds isn't enough. I can barelly hurt skittel when I use it and then he has all the time he want to use a potion or anything of the likes. His little circle is kinda hard to find.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:37 pm

I think a potion that granted true sight for a significant amount of time would be much better. I even made such suggestion.

I must say I agree with you. It seems some items combination are nearly unbeatable. That specially goes for the optic amulet.
I like how kass now isn't blind from his own condition but it turn that item completely ruins atrius and vert.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:48 pm

I really think it's useless to get an optic ammy JUST to screw over atrius/verte/skit (Waste of an item slot IMO). Truesight pots are equally as useless, except with charges and no dodge/immunity to blind tacked on.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Heroes which benefits from self-applying condition skills like Kassar, Dis and Dagurnott will benefits the most from items.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Hell_Tempest wrote:Sometimes I don't even get items and get like more kills than anybody else, so i don't really see what you're talking about.
You're a single person. Sadly, everyone isn't you.
SetaSoujirou wrote:I really think it's useless to get an optic ammy JUST to screw over atrius/verte/skit (Waste of an item slot IMO). Truesight pots are equally as useless, except with charges and no dodge/immunity to blind tacked on.
Then whats the point of the item?

It saves you from a 3 second stun from Vert. Makes an already low-HP atrius visible and more vulnerable to damage, and its the only item in the game that completely prevents a condition. If that isn't useful than I don't know what you're talking about. And if you somehow prove to me that optic amulet is pointless, than whats the point of having the item all together?

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:06 pm

I've died multiple times as Skittel when someone used an optic amulet.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Almost every hero (If not all) I play has some form of hitting atrius when he's invisible, and they're all quite predictable, most quite arrogant when they become invisible. It's not hard to dodge verte's ult with a crystalline band, which is also 8 faction, but has many, many more applications than just dodging (I can't recall a time I've been stunned by that and me dying). And WWP can make you "condition immune" to an extent. Atrius to me, is just a suicidal hero, he doesn't really do much in the IH games from what I've seen. From personal experience, being immune to blind is pretty negligible, as I can either avoid being blinded, or being blinded doesn't DO anything against me.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Thats just your play style. You don't need an optic amulet, but to some, it can be a great boon. I said it to Tempest: You're not everybody.

But you're right about WWP and Teleporter. They're amazing items. O-lawd the teleporter. You've hit the money on that one. Dis with teleporter... shudder. Janise with 2 blinks. Anick with 2 blinks. A sad Vela and her useless prison. The Band is practically an all round item counter.
WWP against exuro or Rikter? Bye bye 7 conditions. Cya 10 second cripple.
Those 2 items themselves easily counter many heroes and it all goes back to what I was saying originally. Why do some items alter or counter hero play styles? Wasn't DoE originally not item based?

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 pm

What gets me is everyone complains about the same thing.
It cracks me up. It fills me with such humor that while playing a game I can't help but to laugh.
Everyone focuses on the same thing.
How many people can they kill to show they have the biggest E-Peen.

I don't use pots.
I don't use faction items.
So I guess your count moves to three.

I don't focus only murdering every single player controlled thing that crosses my path because that isn't how you win.
If you played a game with me, or against/whatever, you would see that if I was on the losing side, I'd do my good ol' fashioned 'Charge up the middle' and four or five player controlled people would hop out of the woodwork all hungry to add one more to their kill counter.

Then they lose a base and wonder where everything went wrong with their perfect plan.
It happens every single time...one more reason why the map has lost its luster to me. People are getting predictable.
So what if I died 20+ times. So what if someone on the other team has 50+ kills four Rikters, a Amber Salvation, and Mighty Pythons Royal C*CK. They lost.

The items are a quirk.
A change of pace, a reward for people who are more self-serving than selfless. I don't mean that they don't hire pushes. They just do it AFTER they have +1bajillion to every stat.
How do you counter it?

You ignore them...charge up the 'center' and watch as your team annihilates some towers or a base while they chase you down. You should try it....it really is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:54 pm

It cracks me up. It fills me with such humor that while playing a game I can't help but to laugh.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Loki wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
/agree

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:25 pm

Heroes are the game. How much joy can you get from destroying a computer controlled base? Not too much. Its enjoyable, but what are you going to enjoy more? What are you going to talk about after a game as you sit in the clan channel? About how you fought for bottom lane? Nope. Its about how you pulled off that epic rikter EoD or that Vela trans into a sunder. Or how stupid everyone was and chased your hero around the map.

Destroying the base wins you the game. But hero killing and the epic skirmishes make the game.

But thats not what this topic is about. I'm talking about how certain items can completely make hero abilities moot.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:15 pm

Still, this game is just more item focused than before, doesn't mean you NEED those items. If you can sneak a skirmish in a lane, you can win, regardless of items.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”