Rematch is the bane of meh

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Echonian
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Rematch is the bane of meh

Post by Echonian » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:31 pm

Well, I was playing a game, 6v6 (or was it 5v5?) against surdan and a few others. Anyways, my team mostly left,and everyone wanted a rematch. I said no, they didn't all vote to rematch.

I distracted them in the mid, yelling out LEAVER CHARGE and things like that, which worked when my push on the bot without support killed their base, and my push on the top almost was going to.

But as soon as I destroyed the base, one of them typed rematch and it rematched. I was seriously pissed.

I PULLED OFF A PERFECTLY GOOD STRATEGY TO BEAT a 4v1 OR MORE TEAM AND YOU GUYS CHEATED ME! GAH. Ok, done venting rage, feel free to comment.

It was fun actually doing it and someone going WTF? though.

Edit: Would've posted somewhere else, but this was somewhat related to DoE, so I put it there. Didn't see a "complain about cheapskates" area anyway. ;)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Rematch is the bane of meh

Post by Cold Phoenix » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:52 pm

The only logical solution to this dilemma is get Dusk to make it so it's impossible to leave the game. If you alt+tab your computer explodes like in Die Hard. If you turn off your computer it tazers you.
Your move.

Echonian
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Echonian » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:58 pm

Or people who are in/connected to VZ could not be sore losers when I have them beat!

I will have my revenge!!! Mwuhahahhahaaaa *cough*...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:19 am

I've never liked rematches. I would rather leave and get more/new people, or even play it through, than start all over again with less.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:33 am

Lol, Echo. You would win anyway, so what the problem? You wanted to read the ending message for the 100th time? If there was some fancy scoreboard, like in AoM or DotA, I would understand :P It would be bad if they rematched straight after the leaving. But yes, sometimes rematches are annoying. But without them, it would be harder to get more DoE players.

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Wow, and I thought the dota-allstars crowd was spiteful of strictly positive features. I wish everybody would get over their irrational dislike of restarting the game instead of spending half an hour trying to get everybody together again. It's probably just psychological.

Oh, and echo, you wouldn't have won anything. Each of us had enough faction to buy dragons until you cracked, and any one of us would have been strong enough to hold off a lane indefinitely even when we lost a rax.

I happened to be the person who rematched just in time to snuff your attempts, and I rather enjoyed it. I saw your attacking and decided to let you on until you managed to take the rax.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Leprikhan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Leprikhan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Holy. Crap. What the HELL does it matter how the game turns out? It's a game, enjoy it as it goes, if you're just playing to "win" then you shouldn't be playing at all. Stop your goddamn whining. Complaining in game is bad enough, but making a THREAD DEVOTED to COMPLAINING?! Come ON.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK Jr.

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Elitists unite!z
Your move.

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:15 pm

Leprikhan wrote:Holy. Crap. What the HELL does it matter how the game turns out? It's a game, enjoy it as it goes, if you're just playing to "win" then you shouldn't be playing at all. Stop your goddamn whining. Complaining in game is bad enough, but making a THREAD DEVOTED to COMPLAINING?! Come ON.
Echonian wrote:It was fun actually doing it and someone going WTF? though.
Honestly guys, I don't think Echo is being that pissy with this whole thing, you guys are just taking it too far. He was having fun, you guys weren't so you -rm'd. Thats the end of it. Drop stupid shit and move on with life.

Leprikhan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Leprikhan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Discussing whether he would win or not is pointless, if something ends prematurely, there is no answer and there never will be. What bothers me is he says he feels "CHEATED", which implies he "deserved" something, and believes that to the point he posted it on the forums.

He said nothing about "Having fun". He's looking for e-peen boostage. THAT is what annoys me.

And note: I wasn't in that game.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK Jr.

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:25 pm

if you're just playing to "win" then you shouldn't be playing at all
I have already given this speech ingame dozens of times, so I will make this quick.

A game is a set of rules that players are allowed to interact with. the thing that makes games intense is the challenge, and in order to have challenge, you need a measure of success.

Without challenge, everything is arbitrary. All you do is go through random motions thinking you are having fun. This is exactly like an infant that randomly turns its plastic play-steering wheel, spitting all over itself as it makes the sound of a car. What is the difference between the human that is young enough to be outsmarted by a carrot, and a NASCAR driver?

the NASCAR driver is not interacting with a random internalized hallucination, the driver is on a road occupied with other drivers. the most advanced, powerful, and fantastic feature of our species is its module for interacting with other human beings, specifically competing and communicating.

The infant is in a state of nonreference, having no benchmarks to define its life. Essentially, the baby can act randomly because it has no experience to define things. Humans can define certain actions in a game as "winning" or "losing", essentially creating meaning for a players decisions.

Do you want to avoid challenge? Then play "flip the coin". Do you want to avoid reality? Then just imagine flipping a coin. Do you want to completely avoid meaning? Then don't even imagine doing anything, effectively making yourself a mental vegetable. But while you are doing that, I'm going to be playing games made for people to actually challenge themselves.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Leprikhan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Leprikhan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:33 pm

I can also determine what creates conflict and doesn't. You act as though human interaction is totally a "good". Winning and losing creates conflict if too much emphasis is put on it. I'll take my tax-free fun over that.

pandamanana
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by pandamanana » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:34 pm

arg... so much video game theory. My brain hurts.

Well I believe that the idea of "The point of the game is the fun, not the victory points!", but I do understand what you are saying. The idea isn't exaclty that is doesn't matter who wins, because there would be no point of playing if no one won, but there is no point in playing if you obsess about winning and miss the whole point of the game, which is to be entertained while winning. Dota players are exceptionally good at being these kind of 13 year old, "must always win", types.

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I understand what ves say, but I also understand why Echo is complaining. Although you should have fun playing the game, the ultimate goal is to win. And when you almost reach a goal, and then miss it, it's a bit annoying. I'm not saying I see it this way... but I think I understand what Echo is feeling.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”