Upgraded Item Glows

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.

Which one is better?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Glow A
42%
Glow B
58%

Total votes: 19

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Upgraded Item Glows

Post by Hell_Tempest » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:44 pm

The recolors are more win than anything else.

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:53 pm

What I'm trying to say in the previous post is...

Unupgraded.

Upgraded. (Borders should be gray <_<)

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Recolors scream "Dusk was too lame to get the help of an artist that can make new icons."
assassingao wrote:I think that the basic items should be recolored to something along the lines of "gray", to make it looks bland.
God no, that would be wretched, especially after having seen your example. The world is full of colors, why should things be gray scaled simply to indicate some silly qualification therein?

The most intuitive icon set we can pick is one with the cool glow, logically. I mean, if we change the icons themselves, people will need to learn what those 10 new icons mean. On the flip side, if we keep the icons the same and just introduce a cool glow to each, people have to learn only what one glow means, not what ten icons mean. (See the difference there?)

I think the golden glows look kind of cool, to be honest, but I'd like to see them on the standard BTN border.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:59 pm

There, updated the first page with golden glows.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:11 pm

How about making golden glows from the item, instead of golden glow on the border?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Oh shit, Glow B is super sexy with the standard borders.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:30 pm

IMO, the borders should all start out sand-colored (kind of golden, but duller, since it's the color of the desert), then change as the item gets upgraded. Or have the non-upgradeable items be golden, and have the upgradeable ones change.]

for the record, I like the combination icons that Storm posted. They are sexy beasts.
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:37 pm

assassingao wrote:How about making golden glows from the item, instead of golden glow on the border?
Dusk wants the glow on the border. :P
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Return to “Updates & Discussion”