Upgraded Item Glows

This is where all random discussion about DoE goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.

Which one is better?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Glow A
42%
Glow B
58%

Total votes: 19

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Upgraded Item Glows

Post by shalnath » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:30 pm

Glow A
Image Image Image Image Image

Glow B
Image Image Image Image Image

Vote!
Last edited by shalnath on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Upgraded Item Glows

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:52 pm

WOAH. The items are getting glowy borders?

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:53 pm

They are when you upgrade them using the new kits. :D
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Sabertooth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:58 pm

Glow A!
Do they get new names like "Greater Ring of the Titans" or something? (I know it's lame but I had to ask!)

Szythe
Noobite Warrior

Post by Szythe » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 am

Personally I think the actual border of the icon should be changed from gray to blue or gold
Last edited by Szythe on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:03 am

I don't want to confuse users with weird borders. It's certainly not worth having some new icon border that users have to learn what it means when I can just change the icon itself to be a bit glowy and not add anything new to learn at all. Besides, the upgrading system is a far cry from complicated enough to merit the use of a new border color.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:43 am

Glow B. Looks more metalic and liquidy, whereas A just looks like 'ooo shiny'

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:14 am

Glow A if this change goes through, don't want to confuse anybody with a small border.

Merlin
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:29 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:I don't want to confuse users with weird borders. It's certainly not worth having some new icon border that users have to learn what it means when I can just change the icon itself to be a bit glowy and not add anything new to learn at all.
Good idea. Make the item sparkle or something.
Rising_Dusk wrote:Besides, the upgrading system is a far cry from complicated enough to merit the use of a new border color.
I don't think that's the point. It's sort of like the spawn counter at the barracks; looks more polished.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:36 am

I think new borders would only serve to confuse players unless there was some overwrought system that needed the distinction to be made. Having finished the code and implementation for it, I can definitely assure you that a totally new border would look pretty much exactly the opposite of polished. (ie. not at all) This really isn't some socketing system (Though it's probably the preliminary design for what's going to go into O, since O's hasn't been done yet)

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:51 am

Glow A if possible.

=w=

But I think that it's color should be changed to a color scheme, like red, blue, yellow or something.

AnemicRoyalty

Post by AnemicRoyalty » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:58 am

Why green?

/me agrees with Dusk, it'd look more awesome to have new, shinier unique icons for upgraded versions.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:05 am

You volunteering, AR? :p

(We picked green because it's the color of neutrality between the teams and the icons apply to both sides' shops. Similarly to how the tooltips are now green)

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:39 am

More importantly, it's the color of boogers...crap, 'A' looks like some sort of snot enchantment to me now...especially the last one...flaring nostrils.

Fulla
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Fulla » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:16 am

Current borders are grey, why not just make it gold/shiny?

Return to “Updates & Discussion”