Playable Terrain Feedback

This is where all discussion of WC3 mapmaking should be held. This forum exists particularly for mapmaking needs. If you have a question on how something works or have need for some code review, this is the place to put it.
Phox
Letter Linguist

Playable Terrain Feedback

Post by Phox » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Hey guys,
So a while back I did some terrain for a project that Dusk and Erwt were briefly working on called Elemental Wars. The project died pretty quickly, but I figured I might as well do something with the terrain so I've been adapting it into an AoS.

Red = Mechanists Guild Base (Includes towers, main building, and 2 shops)
Green = Wildfolk Base (Includes towers, main building, and 2 shops)
Black = Lanes
White = Waygates
Yellow = Fountains of Health
Blue = Graveyards

A few quick notes for understanding things:
–Instead of automatically respawning, players will be given a ghost when they die, which regenerates to 30 mana, at which point it can be revived at around 60% health and 0 mana. If the ghost revives the hero in a graveyard, he comes back with full health and mana.
-There is also no need for fountains of mana, as hero mana regenerates very quickly in the map.

I've been debating about several aspects of it:
-The center is very open. Having not actually played a full game on the map yet, its hard to say exactly how this will affect things, but I'm considering adding more trees/buildings to create more possibilities for ambush. On the other hand, these possibilities already exist around the edges of the map and the middle is open for larger team battles along the edges of lanes.
-The fountain placement. I don't actually remember why I placed the fountains so far from the bases; I suspect it was to create conflict over them and to prevent the defenders of the relatively small bases from having even more of a defensive advantage; I want games to be short and quick.
-I'm also considering removing the waygates, as the map isn't particularly large anyway.

Anyway, I know there's hardly anyone here anymore, but it'd be nice to get some feedback from people who actually know what they're talking about. Thanks!

Return to “Custom Map Creation”