Fall of Faility

This is where all discussion of WC3 mapmaking should be held. This forum exists particularly for mapmaking needs. If you have a question on how something works or have need for some code review, this is the place to put it.
pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Fall of Faility

Post by pandamanar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:16 pm

As some of you may remember, I've been aspiring to making a map for a while now. I was inspired by Dusk's suggestion to create an AoS based on a system of Morale where an armies achievements or failures would result in actual bonuses for every unit. Soon after finding a theme for my map, I grouped with some members of Clan OVRD to perhaps turn a small theory-craft into an actual map. For about a year we theorized and planned about this map, which we had code-named Fall of Trinity. (another suggestion of Dusk's) We crafted many ideas for heroes, items and other game-play aspects while having a lot of fun doing so. Recently (or maybe not so recently since we have been on a semi-hiatus as of late) our main coder came to the conclusion that our main theme, morale, would not work mathematically due to the wave-like nature of the units in an AoS. A system based on the death of a unit is useless when each unit's eventual fate is to die as they and their companions charge at their enemies like waves on a beach. Well now that Morale is not longer an option for the theme of our project, many of my clan-mates have been suggesting that we take all the aspects that we really enjoy about the AoTZ v2 series and combine those with what we believe to be necessary amendments to the games aspects.
So, why am I even posting this here? I presume its mainly out of disappointment that a project, which I was so proud of, subtly died due to the nature of the map's genre clashing with our project's theme. In a sad attempt to make this thread seem less like a venting of frustration and disappointment, why don't you guys post you're opinions or suggestions on the matter.
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Fall of Faility

Post by andriejj » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 am

There are many other ways of making an original AoS, don't give up. You can have a grid of capture points, which would make the creep pathing more dynamic (along with a set of rules (for creep movement), maybe influence from players). Make a battlefield and no lanes at all + give heroes commander skills, which would influence creeps (example - for some archer, makes up to X nearby ranged units attack the target for up to Y seconds. Taunts, scarrying off cries would work too. Several heroes could share the same commander skill). You can make a third, neutral team (fighting both sides), some demons or whatever-the-twink in the middle, introducing king of the hill elements (KotHAoS, haha, awesome abbreviation xD).

Conclusion: don't copy. I don't see a point of making another AotZ 2.xx. You already have AotZ for that.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:39 am

We need an AoS that is played like a real life battle. Soldiers attack, random battle plans are generated, and generals (You) are charged with carrying them out however possible, maybe in a wooded area where real army tactics can be used like staggered advances. Troops should be commanded like in life, using verbal/hand signals, with chances for failure/misunderstanding, and morale should still be a factor, since now they won't be waves on a beach, they'll be spears hoping to find the lucky gap.
Can you hear them?

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Sounds like you want to make an AoS to make an AoS.
Your move.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:13 pm

...Sure?
Can you hear them?

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Vinnam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Cold Phoenix wrote:Sounds like you want to make an AoS to make an AoS.
Buff the Coder, nerf the Modeler, make the C/D on Make Sand shorter.
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Vchip
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Vchip » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh the shame you've brought upon the good OVRD name manar, the shame.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm

It had a name to begin with?
Can you hear them?

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:38 pm

OVRD is our clan's name. They are great people, but quite socially awkward. Ignore V.

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Cooldood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 am

Grapevine!

Edit: oh yeah, if i can help in anyway (which is probably just along the lines of coming up with stupid pointless ideas) I'd really like to o.O

Do you plan on keeping it as an AoS?
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Indeed I we do. The AoS genre really fits the team-based Hero map we are looking to make.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:16 pm

Ideas and support... Is there a site for this?
Can you hear them?

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:20 pm

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Override/in ... 4a&act=idx
is clan OVRD's forum with a place for map-smithery.

Here-b-Trollz
Noobite Warrior

Post by Here-b-Trollz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:56 pm

Sounds to me like you were able to hit the [FAIL] button pretty hard. If you'd get on xfire some time, I could discuss what Doom and I have been talking about.. with you.... Essentially, since we like AotZ because of it's epicness, the goal for the AoS would be to create a feeling of epawesmicness. So we (by which I mean Doom) thought a lot, and we came up with a pretty good theme, as well as some ideas worth attempting. JUST GET ON XFIRE SOME TIME (nub)

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Now that's a shock. Didn't think I'd see Trollzies here helping. You shouldn't squander that, Panda.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Custom Map Creation”