First Time Skinning (Critiques)

All discussion relating to WC3 on the whole should be posted in this forum. If you are looking for beta testers or would like to advertise your map, do so here. All sub-forums created for specific maps over the duration of this website's existence are located in this forum.
GtGW
Champion Noobite

First Time Skinning (Critiques)

Post by GtGW » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm

Here is my first attempt at skinning:
Last edited by GtGW on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Re: First Time Skinning (Critiques)

Post by TheDeathstalker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:40 pm

You know, except for the offputting bright blue mouth, it looks pretty sweet.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

GtGW
Champion Noobite

Post by GtGW » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 pm

What would be a suitable modification do you think for the mouth? (Lore wise its body is actually a power well that is contained within the husk of a physical vessel hence the unusual appearance).

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 pm

I think you need to master the art of the screenshot a little better. Take shots at the portrait angle level, also take shots at the in-game level, also take shots that show all of the different (necessary) angles of the body and the level of detail and so forth. Very little of the actual model is visible in the screenshots you've provided. From what I can tell, though, it does look rather cool.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

GtGW
Champion Noobite

Post by GtGW » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:52 pm

Ah alrighty then: Oh and by the by is there another model viewer as my Warcraft 3 Viewer won't take screenies xD (I had to PRT SC and past in paint to do this).

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 pm

http://www.wc3c.net/pastebint.php?t=107 ... 793e104a6d

Need to be logged in to view. You will still need to print screen and paste it somewhere, but Magos' lets you view your texture wrapped much smoother.

GtGW
Champion Noobite

Post by GtGW » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks Dusk, I'll get on it so that next screenshot hopefully won't fail so hard XD

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:30 am

One more remark. That ribbon that covers his balls, it contrasts too much with the belt (or the belt is too dark, heh), shouldn't it be in the same tone?

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:36 am

Looking at the new pictures, it's still got a nice feel to it, but it really feels like said... feel ends with the cloak, and just devolves into this black muck that there's not really much of anything going on with... The face is cool (although the mouth still needs fixing, at least to put the energy-ness only inside of the teeth, and not having them just float amidst a bunch of blue), but I really feel the aesthetic needs to be completed for the whole hero, not just his shirt...
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm

First of all, no matter how you slice it, the model is ugly as sin. (Despite having some cool animations)
  • I feel like the weapons are a bit boring, could be more exciting and possibly tied into that blue in his mouth for more concept coherence.
  • Speaking of the colors, you can't just make one part of him a vastly different color without compensating the texture elsewhere. It's too overwhelming. You need a solid color scheme that really ties together the texture. Your white and black together are a bit too contrasting, they strike you in the eyeballs and you go "Ow."
  • The red bits on the elbows and the blue in the mouth are conflicting and out of place.
  • Your level of detail is a little bit high and will probably get lost at the in-game level and your shading could probably use to be shaded through with more colors. Here is a good tutorial on that.
  • Look at this for a good example of what properly detailed whites should be. Also notice the very clean color scheme there.

AnemicRoyalty
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by AnemicRoyalty » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 pm

The areas you've freehanded look fine in terms of quality, but the areas that have just been recoloured or left untouched stick out visually. The white areas definitely need more thought given to shading (besides the swirlies they're really just the same flat white all over). Consider where the light is coming from, where it reflects off and which areas are in the shade.

I know it's not the done thing to say about a first skin "it's pretty good for a beginner," but I've seen a lot worse (mine were nasty blobs of colour and CnP :P). Keep it up, you'll get there in no time :)

Return to “Generic Warcraft 3 Chat”