WC3 Patch 1.23b

A location for the administration to post any important announcements the public needs to see.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

WC3 Patch 1.23b

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Patch Notes (View Thread to View This)

Vexorian wrote:http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... 7730193178
Battle.net Map Making PTR

Following our temporary fix to address the recently identified Warcraft III exploit, we have begun preparations to implement a permanent resolution of the issue on Battle.net. As a consequence of this fix (which prevents the possibility of malicious software being spread through Warcraft III maps), we do anticipate that some functionality in current maps will need to be adjusted before it will work properly. Before deploying the fix, we’ll be working closely with the makers of some of the most popular maps to ensure that their maps continue to stay playable on Battle.net with little to no interruption. In the meantime, we’ll be hosting a Public Test Realm (PTR) for map makers to test their maps beginning on June 9th, 2009. We will also be hosting online guides to help map makers make the transition into the new patch during this process. Throughout this process we’ll keep everyone posted on any updates leading up to the release of the patch.

FAQ
Will I be able to play my favorite custom maps online on Battle.net?
We’ll be working closely with the map creators of many popular custom maps on Battle.net to ensure that they’re consistently playable online throughout this process.

Will my computer catch a virus while playing on Battle.net right now?
Our temporary fix has addressed the immediate issues that have been identified on Battle.net, but we still recommend that players avoid downloading maps from unofficial sources or websites they do not trust -- be aware that corrupted maps may share the same name as other popular maps.

How do I know if my map will work with the new patch?
The PTR will be going live on June 9th, 2009 and you will be able to test your maps there.

How do I fix my map if it does not work properly on the PTR?
A guide will be up on Battle.net shortly giving more technical details on how to fix many of the issues that may cause certain features on the map to malfunction. A link to that guide will also be updated in this forum thread as well when available.

For Map Makers - Transition Guide into v1.23b
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... 7730193178
Basically, they removed the return bug as it could have been exploited to add trojans to maps. Now we have countless of new natives meant to replace the return bug. Primarily GetHandleId, and GetStringHash, the rest are mostly a native version of "Kattana's handle vars".

Discussion about the patch : http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=106305

Update: Although most of the 'hashtable' natives are of uncertain usefulness, some good few of them are excellent news, take a look at Table 3.0 for an example, these bring all the good about gamecache, without the bad...
This means a lot of things for WC3 and AotZ, DoE, and OD. All new versions of these maps are going to require patch 1.23b or higher to play and will not be backwards compatible with previous versions of the game. This comes about because of the return bug exploit being fixed by Blizzard in the patch that is currently linked to the Westfall beta testing server.

I will maintain a presence on the USEast server with my bot, account name 'Dusk', but I will no longer be able to play on the USEast server until the 1.23b patch goes live. I will be playing on Westfall using the account name 'Dusk', testing and making adjustments to AotZ, DoE, and OD so that they will be playable the instant the new patch goes live. This is critical to do so that there is no downtime inbetween when the maps are playable. Furthermore, this means that there will be another version of the AotZ 2.XX series. Maybe that's exciting, maybe it isn't, but that means that anything you want to see fixed you should report them in this thread.

DoE 1.12b and OD 0.10u will both be released under the 1.23b patch as well for your own edification, although I suspect OD 0.10u won't have all of the cool new stuff in it that I would like. I'd rather have it playable than not playable at all, so the cool new stuff might only appear in OD 0.10v later on.

If you have any questions regarding the patch, its impact on WC3, what I know about it, and what you can do with your maps to make them compatible, please post them in this thread. Thanks for bearing with me through this earthshattering age of WC3 modding.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Announcements”