The Scout Update

Play games other than VZ Clan games? XBox 360, PS3, Wii, General PC, Browser-based, all of the above and more are included here. Battle it out with others to see which is the best, or just talk about your favorite games; this is the place to do it.
Psiclone
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Location: As you can see from my avatar, I'm currently on the run from a--OH MY GOD!

The Scout Update

Post by Psiclone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:46 pm

http://www.teamfortress.com/scoutupdate

Rawr. New achievements, weapons, maps. Enjoy, discuss.
Intellectuals are like the Mafia; they only kill their own.
-Woody Allen -
ImageImageImageImageImage

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Re: The Scout Update

Post by Loki » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:29 pm

Well, it's impossible to come across a server without any scouts. lol
I only got the FAN, Bonk and Sandman is still far away from my reach :<
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Zantetsuken
Noobite Warrior

Post by Zantetsuken » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Pfft. Farmed that crap. The atomic soda is pretty cool, though.

TheLegendReborn
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by TheLegendReborn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Waiting on the Sandman nerf to laugh at all the pitiful scouts :P Medic4life

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 pm

NO MEEET THE VIDEO!?
Blasphemy

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Already been done.
Meet the Scout
ImageImageImageImage

TheLegendReborn
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by TheLegendReborn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:45 pm

He meant no new meet the video. The last three are medic, spy and pyro. Also they hinted towards a new gamemode but unfortunately didn't release it. :(

Yeah this update has been kind of a slight let down

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah, the bonk depresses me as anything but a scout, and the Natascha is broken again.

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Force of Nature: Viable replacement. Can instagib lower health classes and the knockback provides a nice follow-up if you are good enough to hit them in midair. Replaces double jump when the Sandman is equipped. New places to get with double jump + this.

Sandman: Overpowered, but stun is going to be overpowered in an fps no matter what you do to it. Scouts do not rely on double jump, they rely on their speed. It's already strong, so I fear for the days when people are actually good with it.

Bonk!: Gimmick weapon like the Sandvich. The only uses I've found is a safe passage through Sniper land and the occasional sentry in the middle of the map. Not really worth losing the Pistol.

Arena Watchtower: Very bad map. It's extremely boring, open, and lacks detail overall. It doesn't seem much thought was put into the designing.

Junction: VERY small map. Dominated by Pyros, Soldiers, and Demomen. It is considered spammy in 6 vs 6, so I shudder to think how it will break in the 12v12's and 16v16's that dominate the server listings.

Egypt: I haven't played enough, but it seems -ok-.
Your move.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:55 pm

Yeah, I pretty much agree with Cold on the FAN.
I can't say much about Bonk and Sandman since I have yet to grab them yet but..
Cold Phoenix wrote:Scouts do not rely on double jump, they rely on their speed.
I disagree with that. The double jump > speed on so many levels. Especially with the scattershot's/FAN's hit-and-run mechanic.
And abusing TF2 physics in mid-air to dodge missiles = ownage.
Cold Phoenix wrote:Gimmick weapon like the Sandvich.
SANDVICH IS NOT GIMMICK. /rage
Not really worth losing the Pistol.
Nothing is worth losing the pistol. Period.
ImageImageImageImage

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Loki wrote:
Cold Phoenix wrote:Scouts do not rely on double jump, they rely on their speed.
I disagree with that. The double jump > speed on so many levels. Especially with the scattershot's/FAN's hit-and-run mechanic.
And abusing TF2 physics in mid-air to dodge missiles = ownage.
It is not the double jump that makes the Scout so potent. It is his speed. Set him to 100%, and you find that his double jump is not so powerful anymore. When you jump in the air, you may make less experience players miss, but someone who knows what they are doing can take hold of the situation and fire where you will land. (This is talking about rockets because hitscan cannot be dodged as long as you are skilled enough.)

If you are in the air your enemies can predict where you will land. If you are on the ground you are free to change direction at any moment. The #2 mistake Scouts make against me is using their double jump in midair, I can know where they will be and there's a free headshot. To further prove my point of double jump not affecting Scouts much, look at the Sandman. When I saw the update I too thought that the double jump removal may be too much. After an hour or so of using the Sandman I hadn't even noticed the lack of a double jump, it truly did not make me lose any fights I wouldn't normally have. My speed still allowed me to get up close and two or three shots later the opponent is dead. Nearly everyone I've seen uses the Sandman, so a single jump must not affect them much.

Sandman was also recently banned in CEVO.
Your move.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:31 pm

I've seen scouts get by with just double jump, I don't know who you play against but the jumping part makes up what the scout can do and can achieve so much more with the FAN.
Cold Phoenix wrote:The #2 mistake Scouts make against me is using their double jump in midair, I can know where they will be and there's a free headshot
Clearly they don't know how to crouch jumping then use the <- and -> keys to semi-surf. I don't wanna judge your sniping skills since I have never played against you. But I have played against snipers that are ridiculously good/better than me (I'd like to think that I'm good at sniping D:) and they have trouble trying to get me during my double jump antics.
Cold Phoenix wrote:To further prove my point of double jump not affecting Scouts much, look at the Sandman.
That doesn't prove anything since it FREAKING STUNS. You don't even have to run up to them, just freaking picked them off with the pistol.
Cold Phoenix wrote:Sandman was also recently banned in CEVO.
Ahaha.
ImageImageImageImage

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Loki wrote:
Cold Phoenix wrote:The #2 mistake Scouts make against me is using their double jump in midair, I can know where they will be and there's a free headshot
Clearly they don't know how to crouch jumping then use the <- and -> keys to semi-surf. I don't wanna judge your sniping skills since I have never played against you. But I have played against snipers that are ridiculously good/better than me (I'd like to think that I'm good at sniping D:) and they have trouble trying to get me during my double jump antics.
Oh yeah, air control is always useful when you're an easy target in midair. I make sure to air control whenever I'm playing BBall to make my trajectory harder to predict. Air control really does nothing for you in a double jump, you don't have enough momentum to change your path a substantial amount.

I'm not arguing that double jump doesn't help Scout quite a bit, I'm just thinking that with the power of the Sandman and the Scout's top speed he covers over his single jump weakness and possibly gains more strength.
Your move.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 pm

I don't even know why you bring up the sandman at all in the first place since the sandman is COMPLETELY retarded in all cases. lol
ImageImageImageImage

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

The Sandman is what removes the double jump yes?

What do you mean by the Sandman is retarded?
Your move.

Return to “General Gaming”