AH1N1: Getting shot or not?

A place to talk about serious "real life" stuff without having to place it in between a demand by Blankie for food and Logue's latest almost-pr0n thread.

Getting shot against AH1N1?

Yes, absolutely
33%
No way
50%
Don't know
8%
Already got it!
8%

Total votes: 12

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: AH1N1: Getting shot or not?

Post by Oxygen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:10 am

Smallpox is the only infectuous disease that is totally gone to this day, so unless your "sister" was born before the 1980's, cut that shit out paper.

In addition, nobody cares if you are a creationist, zionist or dumbass - your beliefs have very little to do with the essence of the thread: Ups and downs of getting vaccinated against AH1N1 strand of flu, and if you are getting vaccinated or not and why. This is exactly why asking stuff like that fails on forums, but being in little, misinformed / biased canada, I have very little when it comes to factual information. No more train wrecks, please.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:38 am

Deschain wrote:If you want to tell me I am wrong, in the face of a cousin (it is called sister of aunt from where I come from) that is mentally handicapped because they didn't vaccinate for smallpox sure go ahead but this is where I stand.
Does it legitimately surprise you that you can get autism in more than one way? Are you SERIOUSLY that ignorant or are you just being you and trying really hard to piss me off by mocking me?
Deschain wrote:Individual and even small samples don't prove the concept wrong.
No shit, but one instance in your life of it happening is enough for you to not negate the concept entirely. I don't care what studies say, because studies care about the "vast majority" (and most care about so insignificant a sample population that they're not representative of jack shit). There are cases of it happening, and if one of those cases is you or yours, you care. A lot.

It's a lot like, say, airplanes. The risk of dying in an airplane crash is lower than that of driving a car. However, if a family member of yours dies in a plane crash, you probably won't ever fly on a plane ever again because you're scared it'll happen, even if statistically it shouldn't.
Oxygen wrote:In addition, nobody cares if you are a creationist, zionist or dumbass - your beliefs have very little to do with the essence of the thread: Ups and downs of getting vaccinated against AH1N1 strand of flu, and if you are getting vaccinated or not and why. This is exactly why asking stuff like that fails on forums, but being in little, misinformed / biased canada, I have very little when it comes to factual information. No more train wrecks, please.
There probably are no downs, other than the infinitesimally small chance of actually contracting the virus from the vaccine that exists with any vaccine.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

paper tree
Champion Noobite

Post by paper tree » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:46 am

the main fear is that majority of people are going to be hit by 2 flus. both take a serious toll on the body and remove the person for about a week. the swine flu is killing less total(but is equally deadly to the normal flu) because those born in the 70's were exposed to a similar strain. this leads them to be semi-immune to it. the media is hyping on it because it is killing "younger" children instead of older. so if you think you can handle 2 flus this year and don't wanna get the shots, you don't have to.(prepare for the worst though and say you get them both in a row) if you can't handle it then get the shots. personally i'm wanting to get the shot because i don't want to be out for 2 weeks.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:44 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:
Deschain wrote:If you want to tell me I am wrong, in the face of a cousin (it is called sister of aunt from where I come from) that is mentally handicapped because they didn't vaccinate for smallpox sure go ahead but this is where I stand.
Does it legitimately surprise you that you can get autism in more than one way? Are you SERIOUSLY that ignorant or are you just being you and trying really hard to piss me off by mocking me?
Yes, I'm mocking you.
Vaccine prevent a far worse fate than autism. If by any chance there was an outbreak of disease X your cousin would be in a dilemma:
1) take vaccine X and avoid death at the risk of being mentally handicapped or
2) refuse to take vaccine X at the risk of dying or getting handicapped in some other way by the sickness on the remote chance you'll just come out unscratched.
A choice is never easy but at least number 1) is clearly the logical choice to make.
Rising_Dusk wrote: It's a lot like, say, airplanes. The risk of dying in an airplane crash is lower than that of driving a car. However, if a family member of yours dies in a plane crash, you probably won't ever fly on a plane ever again because you're scared it'll happen, even if statistically it shouldn't.
I once nearly chocked on an piece of orange. Did I stop eating oranges for all my life? No; After regaining normal breadth, I continued eating that orange.

I'm saying if you base the anti-vaccine opinion solely because someone in your family had a counter effect to a vaccine you are committing yourself to Gambler's fallacy. In your case it is slightly more justifiable but still it is a Gambler's fallacy.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:37 pm

The claim that a vaccine causes your cousin to become autistic and not getting the vaccination would have a different result is not just unlikely, it is completely implausible. The link is not just unproven, it does not have a mechanism that would make the connection theoretically possible, or even a shred of evidence.

Autism is an obvious condition to take advantage of, but equating it to having died in a plane crash or being stupid is an expert's touch. I hope that this proactive behavior does not go to waste, and when you need to crush your cousin's spirit the most, this strategy of yours succeeds. That's an excellent plan, and I really wish I came up with it.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:01 pm

You guys are such douchebags, really. I'm locking this. Your recent arguments aren't even valid, they're just mocking, insulting, and belligerent.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Serious Discussion”