Mother

A place to talk about serious "real life" stuff without having to place it in between a demand by Blankie for food and Logue's latest almost-pr0n thread.
Vchip
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Mother

Post by Vchip » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Mainly, I lurk around these forums, don't do much posting as my post count shows. But recently, I've had a run in with a huge problem and I'm hoping the brighter minds of Vz can help me. Normaly, I wouldn't lower myself to posting my problems on the webs (I'm a little bit more reserved than that), but most of my friends are gone and my family handles the situation in a way I don't really agree with.

Three weeks ago, I received a call that my mother was in the hospital, for trying to take her own life.

Now, through out my life my mother has been... well, a little diffrent than other mothers. She has a sever case of boarderline personality disorder and to top it off shes bipolar. Double win, right? In the early stages of my life she ran away with some man and started another family, she's done this three times now. Three different lives in three different states.
I happen to be the second life.

Latter on, she moved back here and started stablizing a bit. She got a degree, and seemed to be better off, untill this incident. So after her attempt she was hospitalized, and then sent to rehab for a week, she got out, and things seemed to be a bit better.
Untill three days ago, and she attempted to taker her life yet again. She refuses to go to rehab, and insist on driving around twinked up on her prescribed, and not prescribed death pills. Klonopin-xanax.
( She lives in another house than me, but I see her quite often) She burst into my room this morning at 8 a.m hystericaly crying about her medication. For some strange reason she thought I had her pills. After she found out that I didn't she left.

Now, I already know the obvious, this is a huge cry for attention, her parents even drove eight hours to see her for one day ( Which she greatly offended them and called them names) , but I do not know what to do. I do not know how to even begin to fix this. I know before anyone helps her she has to help herself, but at this rate, I'm not sure she's going to.

My family has given up on her, she lost her job, and most of her friends have stopped talking to her, but dammit, this is my mom! I can't just disown her.

Is there anything I can do?

Medivh.
Champion Noobite

Re: Mother

Post by Medivh. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Urgh, I know what it's like in a way. If I don't take my anti-depressants, I think about suicide all the time. I need them to feel numb, but they are a patch, because if I forget them, I go insane again.

Your mother probably didn't receive adequate care. If they just slammed her on pills, it'll just go worse. Did she ever get psychotherapy? She should go and get some real help, and not just pills, because like you said, if she forgets to take them, she goes insane, and she probably did for her to backfire and relapse so hard.

Try to see if you can find some sort of special hospital, or ask for specialized help. Guide her to the correct places. What she did in her life and everything is part of borderline. If she doesn't get support, she's toast. She needs more than pills, she needs people that listen to her and make her understand what she has and what to do to get a stable life.
Revenge of the thorny bum!

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Mother

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:44 pm

I really dun know Vchip, but I'd go with Medivh's suggestions. I really hope it works out, mate.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Return to “Serious Discussion”