VOTE!

A place to talk about serious "real life" stuff without having to place it in between a demand by Blankie for food and Logue's latest almost-pr0n thread.
TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

VOTE!

Post by TheDeathstalker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:45 pm

If you haven't yet (and happen to be a US Citizen), do so asap. I don't even care who you vote for, just do it.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Re: VOTE!

Post by Pigger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Why?

EDIT: Sorry for so plain a question, but I've been having discussions all over the place with tons of viewpoints and I just don't see anything strongly for or against voting.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Well, basically... the potential that your vote could change the face of the nation, and in doing so, the face of the world. Yes, your vote could be meaningless, but then again, it could be the difference between one or another. 2000 was decided by 571 votes, so it can happen.

Also, because if you do, you can get a free ice cream from Ben and Jerrys/free coffee from Starbucks
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:56 pm

I think the election of 2000 proved why voting is useless. Gore won that election according to the popular vote, but you don't see him in office now do you? The electoral college makes voting useless in some states, such as my own New Jersey. Why bother voting if I know that my vote is going to get lost because my state will always vote democrat and I WOULD vote libertarian?

Now, I would vote if I could, but that is simply because I don't want people telling me I can't complain if I don't vote. I'd rather save myself the trouble :P.

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

Sabertooth
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Sabertooth » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:40 pm

VZBushkiller20 wrote:I think the election of 2000 proved why voting is useless. Gore won that election according to the popular vote, but you don't see him in office now do you? The electoral college makes voting useless in some states, such as my own New Jersey. Why bother voting if I know that my vote is going to get lost because my state will always vote democrat and I WOULD vote libertarian?

Now, I would vote if I could, but that is simply because I don't want people telling me I can't complain if I don't vote. I'd rather save myself the trouble :P.
YES YOU REALIZE NEW JERSEY SUCKS TOO!
I don't even get how the Electoral college works, shouldn't it really just work off of the popular vote...?

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Electoral college is designed so that states like Wisconsin aren't powerless, back when state power mattered. Now that all the states have given up pretty much all useful power, it is an outdated system.

Die_Dummy
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Die_Dummy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Internet: Fitness videogames might be able to keep players in shape--but not if they don't play them.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:17 pm

I voted.
Pigger wrote:Why?
Because to deny your one true right in this country is akin to admitting that you never existed at all. I want to leave a legacy, be it as small as one vote or not, it's something. That's enough for me, what about you?
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:46 pm

I WOULD vote simply because I feel it is a use it or lose it policy. That doesn't mean that I feel I am making an impact because of our republic system.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Sabertooth wrote:...shouldn't it really just work off of the popular vote...?
If only this were true...
Arnold would have been Presidnator a while ago and terrorists wouldn't DARE strike any US soil for fear of CHOPPAS and large muscular COMMANDOs striking them with Pulse laser carbines in da fo'ty watt range.

I've seen Demolition Man.
I will push the Amendment.

If leaving a legacy is what it is about, then I want to see the day that Arnold is in office.

~Exitus Acta Anhelo
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

T.s.e-kun
Noobite Warrior

Post by T.s.e-kun » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:59 am

How anyone could actually think that Arnold was qualified for the job as governor amazes me. Is it true that he wanted to remove the roof of office buildings, so people could smoke inside?
¡Yo voy a hacer picadillo!

Return to “Serious Discussion”