Heroes

Everything social between absolutely anyone who can type a post. Although this is an open forum, avoid the typical bad forum conduct.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Heroes

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:37 pm

You know, I read a lot of news on the internet about rapists, murderers, a shitty economy, and so forth... But the only news that honestly brings a tear to my eyes are the articles that dignify absolute sacrifice and risk for someone else; heroes do not get enough credit, and I hope to God that given the chance you all would do the same for people you love.
The Associated Press wrote:SEATTLE — A hiker who lost his life on Mount Rainier lay down in the snow and used his body's warmth to protect his wife and a friend from the 70-mph winds of a freak June blizzard, national park officials said.

When it became obvious the trio could not find their way back to base camp in whiteout conditions, they dug a snow trench with their hands. Eduard Burceag, 31, lay down in the snow while his wife and friend lay on top of him. Later, when they begged him to switch places, Burceag refused, saying he was OK.

"In doing so, he probably saved their lives," park spokesman Kevin Bacher said Thursday.

Mariana Burceag, also 31, survived the storm, as did the couple's friend, Daniel Vlad, 34.

Eduard Burceag was just one of the heroes.

When the call came at 3:30 a.m. Tuesday to the Camp Muir base camp, saying three hikers were missing in a blizzard, the National Park Service ranger in charge of rescue operations had little hope they would survive the night.

Kevin Hammonds, 28, described the storm as the worst he had ever seen during his years of hiking and mountain climbing: wind blowing hard enough to knock you off your feet and zero visibility, making it impossible to see your hand in front of your face.

"The fact that any of them made it is noteworthy," Hammonds said Thursday.

His lack of optimism didn't stop Hammonds and a fellow ranger, Joe Franklin, from preparing a search party to head out at first light.

Around 5:30 a.m., Franklin was checking the horizon for any clues to the location of the missing hikers, all natives of Romania who were living in Bellevue, a Seattle suburb.

He saw what looked like a boulder in an unusual spot on the snowfield, then took a closer look with binoculars and realized the shape was moving.

Hammonds grabbed two mountain guides who had stayed the night at Camp Muir, about 10,000 feet up the 14,410-foot mountain, and headed out toward Vlad. Walking through knee-deep, blowing snow, it took about 10 minutes to meet him halfway.

Bacher called Vlad a hero, for his determination to get help.

"It wasn't that he had the physical stamina to do it, but he had the mental will," Bacher said.

One guide helped Vlad back to Camp Muir after directing Hammonds and Eben Reckord of International Mountain Guides toward the Burceags.

"We were able to, more or less, find them right away because he had given us such a good description," Hammonds said. "They would have actually been hard for us to find without his guidance. Where they were definitely was not in eyeshot of camp."

Mariana Burceag was conscious but not coherent, said Hammonds, a trained emergency medical technician. Eduard Burceag was unconscious; they couldn't find a pulse.

"The two of us had to make a decision that she needed our immediate attention," Hammonds said. "It was obvious to us, that ... if left there much longer, she would probably be in the same shape he was."

Hammonds' training told him they had to focus on the person most likely to survive.

They put a second down jacket on Mariana Burceag, placed her in a sleeping bag and onto a sleeping pad, covered her with a small tent and started to drag the whole package toward Camp Muir.

They got about 100 feet closer to the camp before Hammonds and Reckord realized they needed more help. Four more guides answered their call with oxygen, another sleeping bag and a sled. It took another hour for six people to get Mariana Burceag to shelter.

Then the rescuers went back for Eduard Burceag. Perhaps another hour passed before they got him to shelter; attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

Hammonds said the three were experienced hikers — both Eduard Burceag and Vlad had summited Rainier in the past — and were dressed properly for a spring hike in warm winter jackets, wool hats and gloves, and sturdy boots.

Thick clouds prevented a helicopter evacuation that day. An Army chopper rescued Mariana Burceag and Vlad from the peak Wednesday morning. They were treated for frostbite at a Seattle hospital and released. Eduard Burceag's body was brought down the mountain on a sled Wednesday afternoon.

The Pierce County medical examiner's office confirmed Thursday night that he died of hypothermia.

Reached by telephone in Romania, Eduard Burceag's brother, Cristian, told The Seattle Times his older brother moved to the United States eight years ago and fell in love with Seattle, its mountains, its opportunities.

Cristian Burceag said his mother was visiting his brother and was watching their two young sons while Eduard and Mariana hiked to Camp Muir.

He said he was not surprised his brother died shielding his wife from the blizzard.

"He was a hero for us," the younger Burceag said. "I'm sure he would do that. He knew very well that his children needed a lot of their mother and that was the main thing in his life."
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Heroes

Post by Hydrolisk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:17 pm

And so the Light hath given that man the courage to save the family and friends of he.

Praise be with the dead and living.

Psiclone
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Location: As you can see from my avatar, I'm currently on the run from a--OH MY GOD!

Post by Psiclone » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:16 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:...heroes do not get enough credit, and I hope to God that given the chance you all would do the same for people you love.
Amen, brother.
Intellectuals are like the Mafia; they only kill their own.
-Woody Allen -
ImageImageImageImageImage

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:01 pm

I personally am not impressed with choices like these...

So he saved the lives of their children's mother only to rob them of a father... Atleast the act is noble.

Dunno why but this story reminds me of a story I read long ago about Jesus going around "saving people" and "performing miracles" while in fact he just fucks up their lives (he saves a woman from a leper but causes her to become even more isolated since now both the leper colony and her hometown shun her).

Vchip
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Vchip » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Deschain wrote:I personally am not impressed with choices like these... )
If a man using his own body warmth to save his wife and friends is not impressive then I dont know what is. It's called self-lessness, and I dont think it twinked up their lives in anyway. It saved them from death.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:43 am

Vchip wrote:
Deschain wrote:I personally am not impressed with choices like these... )
If a man using his own body warmth to save his wife and friends is not impressive then I dont know what is. It's called self-lessness, and I dont think it fandangled up their lives in anyway. It saved them from death.
A friend that used his own body warmth to save his friend and his wife from dying or a man that suffered grievous frostbites to save his wife and friend.

The only reason people sacrifice/kill themselves is that because they are either stupidified or have less self-worth than others.
Personally if it came down to me I know that I would do the same... But I have no illusions why I would have done this.

What would really bring tears to my eyes is superhuman effort man does to survive rather than to just give up to death or chaos.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:32 am

I won't bother arguing with Deschain.

Definitely a touching story. I like these as well, but in my town, they simply don't happen as often >.<
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Actually...it doesn't have to be either stupidity (or whatever) or less self-worth. In his case, he was protecting his family. Haven't you ever heard the stories of parents who go to all ends of the earth to protect their children? Animals have high survival instincts, yet many of them will die for their young. I don't think dying protecting your family is a lack of self-worth or being in a stupidified state, more like doing the most you can to save those you would rather die for than let die for you.

There is more to life than just making sure you survive.

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:06 am

I see what you are getting at. Still that is lower self-worth... Not lower self-worth as in someone depressed or emo. Just someone who puts others needs before his own.

In his shoes I would do the same. But I don't consider that an impressive feat. I think I agree with Patriot discusion with me ain't the wisest course of action.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Return to “The Social Experiment”