Study proves that college "dumbs kids down"

Everything social between absolutely anyone who can type a post. Although this is an open forum, avoid the typical bad forum conduct.
vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Study proves that college "dumbs kids down"

Post by vesuvan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4016232/coll ... l-spectrum

There may be some small benefits to college, such as socialization, but from a civics perspective, it's hard to justify.

The argument presented contains absolutely no logical fallacies. It's a cold and hard fact.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Study proves that college "dumbs kids down"

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Apparently the argument isn't that it dumbs kids down, but rather that it skews political beliefs. I'm quite sure that college doesn't dumb kids down, but I do think it probably does skew political belief a bit.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:46 pm

I don't know about you, but here in Canada, it's college or your hopes for a decent job are, well,... you shouldn't count on it so much at all.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Remember Dusk, this is Ves posting. The quick sum-up he gave was the intentional skewing of the story done by whoever that Fox News talking head was. The truth of it is just what you said though.

To be honest, I can't remember the specifics of the First Amendment, but then again, I'm a physicist, I just need to know that I have the right to unsecured nuclear materials. That's in there somewhere, right?
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:41 pm

The journalism practiced by Fox in this instance is incredibly dishonest. They apparently have one study that indicates many college graduates lack civics knowledge, according to the video itself. This lack of civics knowledge is being equated to damage done by colleges, which I find very odd because I cannot think of a better place to learn about civics than in an academic setting. The tagline claims that the study has more relevant information, but the tagline is either dishonest, or the writers utterly failed in the basic support of a thesis.

If it is the viewpoints of professors that are supposedly imposed on the students, which in turn causes them to become liberals if they do become instructors, what does increasing diversity entail? Employing uneducated educators?

The great irony is that since the writers failed to indicate that a university education actively damages students, the obvious corollary is that a lack of education skews one's political beliefs to be conservative.
Last edited by vesuvan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm

No kids left behind!

Let's cut down recess time for more class hours, this way, we'll meet the quotas.

You know, I know exactly why kids become "liberals" (or is that just a way of expressing that someone disagrees with the conservative?) as they learn; that's because they become smarter. Duh.

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:21 am

Oxygen wrote:No kids left behind!
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic since the "No Kids Left Behind" act was actually a horrible plan.

But about the so called cold hard facts of this study. There is no correlation present between college and the whole "dumbing down of civic literacy" since they never tested these individuals PRIOR to college, so it's most likely that they were simply idiots BEFORE entering college. Same with their political reviews, liberal or otherwise. They did a very large study but only at one point of time. There is no way of telling what the political views were prior to the college. All this study does is show what percentage of students may be leaning towards the liberal side, though it in no way shows that college is the reason behind this.

The guy explaining the study didn't actually know himself how it was even carried out, all he even knew was a few bullets given to him. Especially when asked if there were any flaws in it.

Based on how this study was conducted and results portrayed, if I managed to ask 14,000 foreigners visiting the United States what their favorite flavor ice cream is and most say Vanilla, then I could say that it's fact that the U.S. makes people only like vanilla ice cream
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 am

Jericho Veronus wrote:
Oxygen wrote:No kids left behind!
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic since the "No Kids Left Behind" act was actually a horrible plan.
If I seem to put emphasis on something such as this, and especially by using exclamation marks, that's probably me being cynical / sarcastic.

I mean, let's have a tl;dr here:

This piece of shitty journalism features

- Bad use of and / or lying with statistics
- A reporter with little to no clue as to what he's talking about (and no charisma)
- Fox news (and that by itself should scream "nuff' said")
- The sacking of liberalism... seriously? The country that has been criticized over and over beyond and above all the rest having one of its main news chain deliberately spitting on liberalism? oh man! I'll tell you what's dumbing down this society, if anything, and that's my bullet #3.

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Oxygen wrote:I'll tell you what's dumbing down this society, if anything, and that's my bullet #3.
No argument with that
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Laggiest website ever

Return to “The Social Experiment”