Haven

Follow VZ in their adventures in the post-apocalyptic Pokemon-filled continent of Karud! Delve deeper to find out more and hear their story.
Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Re: Haven

Post by Jericho Veronus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:49 pm

"Sorry 'm late, we got a couple new arrivals at the stagin' area an' we're a tad short-staffed. Brendan Creed's the name; what'd I miss?"

Terds turned when he heard a voice introduce itself behind him. A man stood there, hand out stretched and a houndoom of his own beside him. Straightening his coat, though it didn't need the adjustment, he then took the man's hand and returned the courtesy.

"Terds Fargo, hunter and trapper extraordinaire, if ever there was a pokemon that couldn't be stopped Terds Fargo has yet to meet it. And this is my faithful companion, Chauncey Esquire the Third."

Terds patted the back of Chauncey's neck as he introduced him to the stranger; and although such a gesture would seem playful in appearance, the pat was an unspoken notion, ensuring Chauncey remained poised being placed in such close proximity with another houndoom. Both the pokemon were roughly the same size, though their eye lines never exactly met. Chauncey's eyes remained motionless, staring straight ahead, not fixed on what was in front of him, but what was beyond.

"As far as what you've missed, you'll have to forgive me but I, myself, have only just arrived."
Last edited by Jericho Veronus on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Tobias felt like he was swindled into a bad deal after Fargo finished rambling. Tobias had known that the city is in a depression ever since the Green Mass went on the offensive, he didn't need Fargo to tell him that there was very little hope to cling on. Tobias shook his head and focused his attention again, he can't let the group see him like this. One weak part in the machine will result the whole machine to collapse. He looked at the group of trainers in front of him and started to count them down.

"Alright, before we start. Introduce yourselves to everyone so it will be easier to communicate during battle." Tobias looks at Fargo talking to another trainer. "And make it quick."
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Ingram dashed as fast as his human feet could take him. Weavile and Lucario were moving intentionally slow so that the trainer could keep up. Ingram was by no means slow, but his Pokemon were worlds faster than he. Weavile moved behind him traditionally, watching his back and zipping to and fro, ensuring that nothing caught them off guard. Lucario, as ever, spearheaded the charge. Lucario's aura sense allowed him to erect mental barriers as needed in front of them or fight back anything coming at them head on. It also meant that Lucario didn't ever have to turn around to feel his master's presence, a handy power.

"Master, you saw the beast? What is the plan?" Lucario's voice echoed in Ingram's mind.

"Yes, Lucario. I don't think it's hostile, but we can't let it just barrel into the city. Let's get there first and we'll see." Ingram's mind settled on his thoughts as Lucario nodded over his shoulder, never missing a step. There was a human rider on the creature, what appeared to be some kind of underground snake. He presumed it to be either a Steelix or an Onix, but... There was something off about its aura. It was large and imposing, even for what you'd expect it to be for that type of Pokemon. Ingram shook it off as he passed a guard that took an inquisitive look after him.

Ingram reached the edge of the city with his Pokemon and looked into the distance. Weavile took up a position at Ingram's left and Lucario at his right, each ready for war if it were to descend upon them this very instant. This was the exact section of the city the man would run into if he kept on a straight path. It was still too early to see him plainly, but Ingram knew that he could be sensed. "Lucario, find it."

Lucario's black almost-antenna perked up behind his head as he closed his eyes. For a few seconds there was no reaction, but then Lucario pointed directly ahead of them, as if the creature was indeed moving in a straight line.

"He will be visible shortly. Shall we engage, master?" Weavile clicked its claws together in anticipation.

"Be on your guards, both of you. If it makes no attempt to stop or signal friendliness, we will assume it hostile. Kill the trainer first if it gets to that point." They both nodded promptly. "Regardless, I will signal if we should attack or not. If it makes any attack against us or the city, you know what to do."

It was a risk facing it alone, especially with a trainer at his back. There was no telling what other Pokemon it might have in reserve, and Ingram ran a very serious risk of being overwhelmed and taken down here. He had his radio, he could call for other guards, but... A full battle-ready guard would be nerve-wracking and frightening for these already petrified men and women - Especially if this man was indeed friendly. He was a man riding a Pokemon, so he mustn't be feral... Must he?

Ingram's second guessing himself could cost him his life or his city's morale, but he reacted immediately, deciding for at least a few more trainers than just the sparse guard and himself. Better safe than sorry. He moved up his radio and pressed the talk button.

*KKKRRRRRKKK* "This is Ingram. I need a small squad of trainers at the northwest corner of the city, directly up Rallis Street. This is not an emergency." *KKRRRRR*

...or was it?
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Haven

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Shekershek-a Haven, Outlands (Military Outpost Haven, Outskirts)

Crux let the golden ring in his hand drop once, a long ring echoing through the stone.
Slowly the earth shifted, the head of Sutekh rising upward groaning a query.
"Slow, we approach." Crux stated loud enough to be heard over grinding rock and churning earth.
A long note, a sigh almost, in response as Sutekh lowered his head once again, reducing the speed in which he clove through the earth. The dust clouds settled down to almost nothing and Crux took a moment to lean out once again. His sharps eyes caught three figures awaiting him at the edge of the outpost. Moments passed before he rose the golden ring skyward, knocking it thrice against the sandstone fin.
Slowly the great fin sank beneath the ground.
Crux timed his jump to coincide with the disappearance of his mount, landing a few feet away from the man and his pokemon that stood before him. He eyed the Lucario and the Weavile from within his Merciless Mask warily, fingering the hilt of his Spider sword with one hand. Slowly he stood to his full height and adopted a nonthreatening stance. Hands open out to his sides, palm up, fingers wide.

"Kadja Walc." Crux began, his voice husky because of the desert garb.
"I am a wanderer of the Great Ocean of Fire and I seek the heads of Haven, bearing dire news of the approaching mass."
Crux swept his Kefka off with a shrug off his shoulders, the clothing swaying behind him now that it was free.
"I have precious little time to squander..." he stated, taking in the situation with a careful touch of directness and non-hostility.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:20 pm

He had encountered desert bandits in the past, before the era of the green feral mass' takeover of the dunes. He had thought most of them had either given up and gone elsewhere or been taken down. This was certainly not what Ingram was expecting. Furthermore, the man said that he carried information of the mass? Did we know him? Ingram felt not, for surely he would know the raspy voice by heart had he. He did not look threatening, though, especially with how he presented himself. At worst, hearing him out would do Ingram no harm.

Ingram cocked his head to the side a bit and grinned before speaking. "Sparing the pleasantries, any enemy of my enemy is my friend. It is convenient, as I, Ingram, am the foremost trainer in charge here." Was he really? There were others he considered his equal, yet for some reason he had somehow gravitated to the leader's position. He didn't like being in charge, but it was a job he was willing to do for the good of others. He wouldn't let anyone else suffer before himself ever again.

Ingram looked at Weavile directly and he returned the glance with his peripheral vision, never taking an eye off of the desert man. "Stand down." Weavile, reluctantly, obeyed. He leaped backwards many times in a criss-cross, diagonal fashion, catching onto the side of the nearest building and propelling himself upwards to the top of it. Weavile loomed at the top of the building, overlooking the precedings. If anything happened that he didn't like, he'd be on top of the man in a flash, of that Ingram had no doubt.

Lucario, unlike Weavile, simply opened his eyes and adopted a non-hostile stance in response to the man. He bowed and then simply looked and listened on.

Ingram spoke after taking a rather casual and nonchalant stance himself. "You must pardon my companion." Ingram motioned behind him at Weavile. "He has a hard time with people." This man could be an assassin, but that wouldn't even make any sense. Perhaps Ingram was just being paranoid. They had a common enemy. "If you would like to enter the city and have a glass of water, I'd be open to it. If, however, you'd prefer we speak here and now, that is also fair." Some guards ran over to him and looked over the desert man. Stupid trainers hadn't come quick enough, Ingram could have died ten times in the time it took them to get to him. "It's okay, trainers, I have this covered." Ingram spoke to them plainly. They looked on inquisitively while Ingram looked back at the desert man and awaited a response.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Haven

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:16 pm

"Sparing the pleasantries, any enemy of my enemy is my friend.
It is convenient, as I, Ingram, am the foremost trainer in charge here."

Crux kept his thoughts to himself, watching in silence as the man before him told his pokemon to stand down. The Weavile did not trust Crux as far as he could throw him, it was apparent. The Lucario at least remained civil to a point. He did not begrudge them harshly however, he was a bandit, and he would slit their throats if it came to it.
"If you would like to enter the city and have a glass of water, I'd be open to it.
If, however, you'd prefer we speak here and now, that is also fair."

Crux shifted his gaze to look at the mob of trainers, receiving glares, silent death threats, and not less than three fingering grasps for weapons. Crux let his left hand tighten on the sheath of his blade before returning his veiled gaze back toward Ingram.

"Ingram yes? I am Crux of the Asher-ban, known as Deathshed the Devil to your kind."
The desert bandit watched with some slight satisfaction as two of the men behind Ingram blanched at the name.
Even on the edge of the world, people still knew and feared his name.
"If you have prepared a defense watch for the city I would tell all, however, if you wish to keep the panic from spreading I will tell you here and now. Decide. Time is against us."
Cruor Vult

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 pm

"Alright, before we start. Introduce yourselves to everyone so it will be easier to communicate during battle."
"And make it quick."

"It would appear that we are now beginning."

Terds turned his attention from his new acquaintance as Tobias spoke up to address the entire group. Tipping his hat to Brendan, he proceeded walking the path he was previously on towards the westward wall, where a majority of the group had already settled. He took a seat against the wall itself, slightly detached from the grouping, though close enough to still remain a part of it. Chauncey sat beside the chair, the same monotone expression and solid stare controlling his face. Tobias had asked for each individual within the group to introduce themselves to the rest, though Terds had already done so often enough that he was willing to step aside and allow others the freedom to do so first.

Terds waited for only seconds before the silence was interrupted, though it was not by the voice of one of the trainers introducing themselves. Instead, the crackle of several radios within the crowd sounded and Ingram's voice spoke over the comm.

"This is Ingram. I need a small squad of trainers at the northwest corner of the city, directly up Rallis Street. This is not an emergency."

Terds thought the message to have been somewhat oddly rushed, calling for direct assistance though adding that it wasn't actually an emergency. What would be the meaning of a hurried call for other trainers to close on his location if he didn't actually need them? Terds was somewhat puzzled at the call; he turned to Chauncey, who in turn only nodded while still retaining his former position looking straight ahead.

"You seem to be somewhat out of practice my friend, others sensed something coming mere minutes after you."

At this remark Chauncey flared his nostrils and let out a deep snort. Terds simply smiled and leaned back in his chair to watch what would unfold.
Last edited by Jericho Veronus on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:21 pm

"Ingram yes? I am Crux of the Asher-ban, known as Deathshed the Devil to your kind."

'Oh my...' Ingram thought to himself. He made no visible movement at the name, but recognized it instantly. Ingram had thought this man dead many times, only to find him still raiding caravans in the days before the mass descended upon Haven and prevented all travel over the desert.

"If you have prepared a defense watch for the city I would tell all, however, if you wish to keep the panic from spreading I will tell you here and now. Decide. Time is against us."

Ingram wanted this man here no more than he needed to be. He had no desire to throw the man's life away, but this man had no desire to save anyone. What the hell he was doing trying to help Haven was beyond Ingram, as he showed no mercy to any of the people he'd killed in the past.

"There is a defense watch, but I can relay any information to them as necessary." Ingram didn't hesitate or show any sign of even recognizing Crux. "Please, go ahead. What information do you have?" Ingram motioned a hand in front of himself invitingly.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:35 am

"Please, go ahead. What information do you have?"
"As you wish hassim." Crux took a seat cross-legged on the earthen floor and drew the story as he spoke.
It was a desert custom to do such things, even though he spoke quickly, his fingers danced, depicting things he said.

"I have traveled far in a short amount of time. My thread begins as I left the ruins of Wrest. Two days out by Onix back I snaked through the Dune Waste, harrowed by ferals on the outskirts of the mass..." Markings depicted the places he spoke of, symbols only the desert-kin or those who had studied the trade routes would understand. "...I began to harass them, winding around the mass as a coil snake strangling out the life from subdued prey. Sandstorms raged, unnatural, feral made, I taste such things in the wind." He ignored the scoffs of a nearby man, glancing up only to make sure Ingram followed his words.
"I used the storms to my advantage slipping behind their mangled lines, cutting down those in my way. A day in the dust proved to be worth a fortune, for I gained knowledge of what approaches. A doom of the olden times. With haste I made for Haven, crossing the Ocean of Fire and the Empty Quarter to slip through the Dante Gates."

Crux looked up at Ingram and made the sign of warding.
"Your foe...tis a dragon of the Earth...." he let the phrase hang for a moment.
"Tis a Garchomp." he spoke into the air.
Cruor Vult

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 pm

“Well, I was giving anyone else the opportunity to give the first general introduction, but if no one wishes to bear the burden, I have no problem in doing so myself.”

Terds stood, holding out his index and middle finger towards Chauncey, signifying for him to stay put while he roamed about. He had genuinely been giving the chance of the first introduction to others, but he began to grow somewhat impatient as no one chimed in. And he did of course enjoy the sound of his own voice.

“My name is Terds Fargo, hunter and trapper extraordinaire; named after my father and his father before him, though as tradition would place it, we adopt no suffix beyond our name. If I were to follow my family tree back as far as to the origin of Fargo, my best roughly estimated guess of my own suffix would be somewhere around the region of 18th. And with the name, comes the job, the pleasure, and the sense of duty that it being a hunter and trapper. To certain circles, the name Fargo is well known and respected, though for the general public, it is one not often heard of since there are a great number of authorities that would…frown upon, some of our actions.”

As Terds spoke, he walked about the roughly created ring of other trainers, using hand gestures and making a performance out of the introduction. Tobias had mentioned to keep the introductions short, so Terds decided not to go into full detail, but he knew that the comment couldn’t have been directed towards him specifically, so he continued with his ‘shortened’ introduction.

“I trapped my first of many pokemon by the time I reached the age of five years, hunted and attained my first ‘trophy’ by the age of eight. It was a Charmeleon who now rests on the wall above my manor’s fireplace surrounded by countless others. I have ridden wild Onyx through the Northern Mountains of Kanto and tamed them all. And this I did while tracking the genetically engineered subject known as Mewtwo, trailing the path of death and destruction it left in its wake barely escaping with my own life. I have braved the whirlpools surrounding Whirl Island in search of Lugia, and while I did see the creature I could do nothing more than be awed and amazed by the majestic creature, in that I let it go free. Though it was not a total loss for I was tossed off my ship into a whirl pool only to come out of the rough waters surfing upon a league of roped Seels. I single handedly put down the horde of nearly hundreds of feral Mightyena as they attempted to invade Lilycove City on the continent of Hoenn. In Sinnoh I came face to face with the legendary Dialga before it escaped through a rift in time. I’ve trekked through frozen tundras during the dead of winter, crossed barren deserts in the scorching heat of summer months, and now I arrive here to further my reputation on yet another continent.”

Terds turned and began to walk back towards his seat, turning to face the group once he reached it. It seemed that his long-winded, ‘short’ introduction had finally come to a close. However, rather than sitting down once he reached his chair, he simply took a deep breathe and regained composer before continuing speaking.

“Here on this continent I wish to not only save the good people through many heroic endeavors, but to also increase my enormously growing collection of trophies. I have been on countless expeditions, and I have always come back with something to show. Even Chauncey there is a prize from one of my many expeditions into the unknown mountains of Sinnoh’s northeastern island. I journeyed there in order to investigate rumors that had been circulating regarding an isolated monastery being attacked by what appeared to be Salamence, though of abnormal size and physical proportions. Upon arriving at the monasteries steps, I was greeted and welcomed with open arms, since one of the head monks happened to be an old acquaintance of my father during one of his many expeditions. It was then that I was able to hear the first hand accounts of the travesties that had struck."

"You see, the monks breed a very specialized type of Houndour and Houndoom, who guard the monastery temple. They are extremely disciplined and precise in their actions, wanting nothing and living only to serve and give their life in defense of the temple. The particular Houndoom who had been on duty, had been defeated by the abnormal Salamence, yet he still lived. To them that was a failure of one’s duty, and the Houndoom was stripped of his honorable title, cast out from the sanctity of the monastery, into the world alone. After hearing this story I promised them that I would not return until the creature had been dealt with.”
Last edited by Jericho Veronus on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Terds stopped and looked upward to the ceiling above his head. He breathed in deep and let out a sigh before closing his eyes. It seemed like he was recalling a memory that held some sort of emotional ties. After a few moments, he regained his composure and continued the story.

“It took us an entire week simply to find any sign of the beast’s existence and from there two more to track it to its domain. Three monks traveled with me to assist in carrying equipment, tracking, and even the killing of the Salamence. None of them returned alive. We approached the entrance to the cave under the shield of night, hoping to catch it unawares while it slumbered deep within, such was not the case. I don’t even know how long the first monk had been gone before, but we turned around only to see where his footsteps had ended. The next one, happened once we entered the cave, having decided to continue on, and darkness swept over us. At least this time, there was a scream, though it was very short lived, hopefully the monk was as well then. The scream was cut short as a gust of wind blew past us."

"Even with their deaths, we continued onward, making it all the way to the main cavern without any further casualties. The cavern, now that was a sight to behold. The walls seemed to illuminate the area, shimmering as though made of glass, possibly a reaction of the minerals and particles to the intense heat they’ve probably endured from the Salamence shaping its home. It was then that I saw it. At first it was but a black shadow, but a quickly growing bright light quickly shone its true form.”

Terds seemed to be starring off into space, most likely day dreaming and envisioning what he had seen that day, once again. Once he came back to the reality of present day he walked over to one of the side tables, which had glasses and a pitcher of water resting upon it. Pouring himself a glass, he took a long drink and then returned to his story.

“We starred at the figure, lost in it, unaware at first that the growing light was coming right at us. It was almost upon us when I realized what it was, just barely jumping out of the way in time. My last companion was not as lucky, and met with the same fate as his brothers. I shielded my eyes from the blast as it swept past, and when I looked again all that remained were piles of ashes where the equipment and the monk had once stood. I was all that was left, facing this Salamence. I looked around for it, no longer where I had seen the figure, but I saw nothing. But then I felt something, heavy breathing…down the back of my neck. I turned to find my face only inches away from its own. Closing my eyes, I prepared to face death. Something I had many times before, only this time I felt it would surely be the last."

"It was then that I heard a sound I wish to never hear again. It was a howl, but not just any howl. One that would have certainly shattered my ear drums had it gone on any longer than it had. I fell to the ground cupping my hands over my ears, as I felt a very slight trickle of blood drip down from the left one. Though I was not the only one to face the howl, the Salamence seemed to be suffering from the sound as well, confused of the source it grew irate, thrashing around within the enclosed cavern, slamming itself against the walls. That’s when the first rock fell. The whole cavern was caving in, and the Salamence blocked the only exit. My eyes still closed I didn’t realize what was happening to me until I was halfway towards the entrance, being dragged at a ludicrous speed until I was out in the open night sky, and behind me laid only a large pile of rubble. I looked up to see the face of a Houndoom.”

“You see, when the Houndoom was cast out from the monestary, he still felt he had a duty to do, so he to began tracking the Salamence; for him it was somewhat more personal. I returned to the head monk to tell him of what had happened, and although happy that they were no longer in danger and that I had returned alive, there was much mourning for their fallen brethren. When I told him about the Houndoom, he explained to me that that particular Houndoom was in fact the offspring of a Houndour given to the monk by my father, all those years ago. He said it was fate that brought the two of us together, and for that reason I left the monastery, with Chauncey Esquire the Third, at my side. But as adventurous as that voyage was, I had done it simply to prepare myself for my later successful climb to the peak of Mt. Coronet and the Distortion World, which of course is a whole other story all together and best saved for another time.”

Terds finished the glass of water he still held in his hand and then walked back over to the table. Filling it once more he returned to his seat and sat down, this time finally finished of his ‘short’ introduction.

Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by Vinnam » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:33 am

Before the man he had approached had a chance to reply, Brendan heard a voice from behind him. Glancing around in surprise, the medic noticed that the man who had been walking towards the wall had walked back over to greet him.

"Terds Fargo, hunter and trapper extraordinaire, if ever there was a pokemon that couldn't be stopped Terds Fargo has yet to meet it. And this is my faithful companion, Chauncey Esquire the Third."

Turning towards the man, Brendan stiffened slightly before returning the hunter's grip. He had not failed to notice the man's Houndoom; reaching down to scratch Batista between his horns, felt a small tremor pass through the pokemon. "Easy, laddie..." he said under his breath. Batista seemed to hear him, as the tremors stopped, but Brendan continued scratching the Houndoom to keep it calm.

"Nice ta meetcha... Terds? Or do ye prefer Fargo? Either way, do ye know what I've missed?"

Brendan watched as the man reached down and patted his own Houndoom. He didn't trust the cocky way Fargo carried himself, but there was no helping it; if he hadn't been worn to a raggedy edge yet, then more power to him.

"...at you've missed, you'll have to forgive me but I, myself, have only just arrived."

Brendan jerked as he once again tuned into what Fargo had been saying. He'd been reflexively scratching between Batista's horns, staring slightly fixedly at Fargo's "Chauncey", noting its superficially calm exterior. As if nobody but it existed in the world...

"Alright, before we start. Introduce yourselves to everyone so it will be easier to communicate during battle." Tobias looks at Fargo talking to another trainer. "And make it quick."

Looking around, Brendan saw that the other trainers had begun dispersing to talk amongst each other; seeing an opportunity to split off and take care of some urgent matter, the medic hurriedly thanked Fargo for what little assistance he had provided and began walking towards the front desk to speak with Nurse Joy about Haven's remaining supplies.

Noticing that his Houndoom had not moved, Brendan spoke to him. "Batista, come." With a snuffle, the Houndoom turned and began walking alongside his trainer, though it gave one last sidelong look at Chauncey and it's supremely calm stance.

As he walked up to the tired-looking nurse, the medic heard Ingram's voice coming out of a nearby loudspeaker:

*KKKRRRRRKKK* "This is Ingram. I need a small squad of trainers at the northwest corner of the city, directly up Rallis Street. This is not an emergency." *KKRRRRR*

Brendan snorted before turning back towards Nurse Joy; organizing Haven's dwindling medical supplies was already an emergency, if not a crisis. He HAD to talk with the Nurse; anything else short of an actual emergency could be taken care of by other, less preoccupied trainers.

"Hey there, Joy; How're the stores holdin' up?"

The Nurse put on a weak smile, though clearly her heart wasn't in it.

"Well, Brendan... It isn't bad, but it's worse than it was yesterday."

Sighing, Brendan leaned over the counter, grasping Nurse Joy's hands.

"Now, listen, luv... Ye've got to pull yerself together. We cannae afford to bugger out; we're the ones've got ta take care o' everyone else who does."

Tilting the nurse's head up with one hand to look her straight in the eyes, Brendan spoke again.

"Now, tell me straight, Joy: how long will our supplies last, with what we've got?"
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 am

"As you wish hassim. I have traveled far in a short amount of time. My thread begins as I left the ruins of Wrest. Two days out by Onix back I snaked through the Dune Waste, harrowed by ferals on the outskirts of the mass. I began to harass them, winding around the mass as a coil snake strangling out the life from subdued prey. Sandstorms raged, unnatural, feral made, I taste such things in the wind."

Ingram watched patiently and with baited breath as the man drew his words in the sand and their ears at once. Ingram picked apart each word at its roots to make sure he grasped every which angle it could be taken. Some of his companions weren't taking Crux seriously, but Ingram knew enough about his kind of bandits to know that they took what they did very, very seriously.

"I used the storms to my advantage slipping behind their mangled lines, cutting down those in my way. A day in the dust proved to be worth a fortune, for I gained knowledge of what approaches. A doom of the olden times. With haste I made for Haven, crossing the Ocean of Fire and the Empty Quarter to slip through the Dante Gates."

Crux either really liked hearing himself wreathe words in the wind, or perhaps he was simply a bigger fan of the build-up than the climax itself. Either way, Ingram noticeably leaned into the next words - eagerly awaiting them. Crux made short work of the anticipation as he unveiled the critical piece of information slowly and delicately, like a chef might handle his final dish or a gentleman his fair dame.

"Your foe...tis a dragon of the Earth.... Tis a Garchomp."

Ingram wasn't sure whether to believe the man or not. A Garchomp? But... How? They don't even live in the desert, there hasn't been one seen in ages, since one was spotted leaving and entering Razorback's Peak many, many months ago. Could it be the same one? Could it truly be..?

Ingram had nearly forgotten that there was a man sitting before him. His companions looked uneasy, more so at the way Ingram had zoned out than exactly what Crux had said.

"A Garchomp, you say..." Ingram didn't want to believe it, but what reason would this man have to lie? What else could have suddenly spurred the forming of a feral mass in a desert once plagued merely by rogue ferals? It all made so much sense.. "That is most troubling. If you have seen it as you say you have, and I have no doubt that you have, then much will have to be adjusted for in our plans. I thank you for your warning, whatever enticed you to provide it." Ingram wanted to say more, he truly did, but he had no words to offer. There was nothing else to be said, he had to find a way to deal with the titanic dragon.. And fast.

Ingram turned from the man suddenly, looking back towards the city, up at the sky, and then at the city once more. A fire was burning in his eyes. He wouldn't let this city fall, not like that. He clenched his right fist tight at his side and gritted his teeth, glaring forward at the city that would be his undoing.

"Master, something is not right.."

Weavile stood up at once on the building, looking out at the horizon with a strange confusion settling into his eyes. Ingram caught Weavile's gaze and Lucario's words and turned back to follow Weavile's line of sight. Ingram shared of Weavile's confusion - and then his horror - as he witnessed the very horizon he was looking at move toward him, toward the city.

"Now, tell me straight, Joy: how long will our supplies last, with what we've got?"

Nurse Joy looked down and to the right, dodging Brendan's gaze shamefully. She didn't want to tell him the truth, she wanted to lie and convince him that maybe things were getting better - even though they never, ever got better.

"A scant few weeks at the rate they're being used, I fear..." Her eyes met Brendan's again and she pulled her hand away from his. She wanted to cry, to turn and run away, but she knew that what he said was true. They had to be strong for the others. She stifled the tears just in time, caught her bearing, and looked up with a visibly fractured smile playing across her features.

"We'll make do." Joy nodded her head in the reassuring way that she always had and tilted her head into that cracked smile she now wore.

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:27 pm

Leon watched the conversation attentively. He had come when Ingram had requested - but not directly. He was willing to fight with these strangers, perhaps, but he was far too much of a pragmatist to act as this man's bodyguard. He and Ludavius had watched as Crux entered the city, far enough away that he couldn't hit them quickly but close enough to gun him down if things went poorly.

But Crux had not come for any sort of vendetta, but as an informant. The information had come like a physical blow to Leon - a Garchomp. Leon was never one to underestimate a feral mass, true, but he hadn't expected this. And then to see the cloud on the horizon...Leon clenched his fists. He had been in this situation once before - where a large mass with a terrifyingly strong leader was charging directly into the city. But then he had fought with two hundred trained, mounted Rai, with an armed encampment to fall back to to gather supplies, and the Rai-Kami himself leading the fray. Half of those Rai, including the Kami, had died that day - and all it gave them was a stalemate. That leader - the Nidoking Turuv, curse his heart and soul - had lost his horn but was most certainly still alive.

And what did they have now? A dozen or so fighters, no definite perimeter, and a few ragged scraps of military power.

Leon's first instinct was to run away. This wasn't his battle, and if he began riding hard away from the mass he was sure he could survive. He looked briefly at Ludavius - and the latter shook his head. Leon could force Ludavius with him, push come to shove, but he knew the Machamp would never forgive him for abandoned these clearly desperate people. "We play with your morality for now, Ludavius," he whispered, "but should Ingram die our agreement is nullified - and I have no intentions of starting another for the defense of this city."

Having said that, he walked closer to Ingram and Crux. "Blessing of the Rai upon you, E-Rai Crux, for the information you have given us."

Leon bowed his head slightly before turning to Ingram. "I have been in this situation before. The greatest weapon our people used here - the dynamic screen - is unfortunately denied to us, unless you have at least a few dozen mounted men with working cross-communication and training as a unified whole. Our first priority should be abandoning as much of the city as possible and moving all supplies and civilians to a compact mass we can defend. One of our few advantages here is that we can rotate our forces, take breaks, and resupply for another round of combat, and we'd do well to maximize that advantage."

Ludavius added, "If we are driven to defense of the stockpile my guns will prove significantly more useful than in the sandstorm."

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Crux turned his gaze over his shoulder.
In the distance the sky was unclear, the earth shifted in his vision, blurring together. It moved much like visible wind, yet against the force that blew toward it. Crux cursed himself for being followed. No doubt the ferals knew where the outpost of Haven was, but that they followed the path he took by the mountains no doubt allowed a skirmish party to cross the river and harass the unready lines.

"Blessing of the Rai upon you, E-Rai Crux, for the information you have given us."
Crux turned his attention to the speaker, surprised to find a member of the Rai in the outpost. Crux bowed his head in respect to the honor he had been given. The man spoke to Ingram, allowing Crux the time to center himself. Slowly Crux reached into his sash and placed an ornate ring on his left center knuckle. He knocked against the ground...an audible ring resounding when one shouldn't have. Crux stood and replaced the ring in his sash, not taking his eyes off shifting sands in the distance.

"Hassim Ingram." he spoke over his shoulder.
Crux did not know if he had interrupted, but he did not rightly care. Time was against him.
"Prepare your defense with haste...though we are not allies, I shall strike a truce with you." Crux turned to face Ingram. "If you can promise me your band of ragtag trainers will not strike against me, I swear by the sands I will not slit your throats while you sleep." Just behind Crux, the massive form of Sutekh slowly rose out of the sands until its head and a few segments of its sandstone body were visible. The diamond eyes flashed, glittering with interest, or amusement. Crux extended his right hand, palm skyward, in front of him. "They fear Sutekh, I can get you time. Do we have an accord?"
Cruor Vult

Return to “Pokemon Adventures”