[A-] Magnark, Gravity Bender

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!
2-P
Revenent of the Replies

[A-] Magnark, Gravity Bender

Post by 2-P » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:20 am

Magnark
Gravity Bender
Intelligence; Melee; Order.

Story.

Model: Goblin Tinker

Innate Skill:
Magnet Rise
  • Creates a magnet at the target position. The magnet lasts 30 seconds. 4 seconds cooldown.
Level 1 Skill:
Allure
  • Target Magnet
    Magnark pulls the target magnet towards himself, enemies caught in its wake take X physical damage and are maimed. Y casting range.
Level 1 Skill:
Overcharge
  • Target Unit Buff
    Target enemy is blinded and ruined for X seconds and gets connected to the nearest magnet if there's one within 300 range. (The enemy can't get farer away than 300 range from the magnet.) Lasts Y seconds.
Level 1 Skill:
Iron Will
  • Passive
    Magnets take X% less damage. The prevented damage is dealt back to the source as physical damage if it's suffering from a condition.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Magnatron
  • Instant Cast, Buff
    Magnar gains X% additional movement and attack speed for every nearby (large area) magnet. Whenever an enemy takes physical damage, nearby magnets will zap it, dealing magickal damage and extending ruin by 1 second.

The Drawing Board (or: reasons for an awful hero)
Somehow I'm not able to come up with serious themes. Well I do, but those of my heroes with serious themes tend to suck. xD

I took Innert as the very basis for the hero. The thing I liked about Innert were his summons, though back when he used to have the ghost summons he usually had not more than one of them on the battlefield at once, not really a summon hero in my eyes. After he got the wolf summons he had more, but enemies just focused on Innert, completely ignoring the wolves most of the time.
So basically what I wanted to do was:
-Go back to the static summons
-More summons
-Give the enemy a tough time deciding if he should attack the hero or his summons

The Innate
Oh my God an innate. Had that innate in the mind from the very beginning. I thought about putting the magnet summon in a level 1 skill and design all the other abilities to work without a magnet as well (like Dusk did in his submission), but nothing I tried felt right for this little guy here.

Allure:
I'd like to emphasize the casting range of the spell, which could be quite high, a lot higher than the casting range of Magnet Rise actually.

Iron Will
I had many, many different versions of it... all with the goal of making the magnets more sturdy.
Since he can already blind+maim it's mainly directed at spells, I thought about using magickal damage reduction only, but there are so many physical damage spells...
If you have another idea please let me know. >:

Magna-tron
The new ultimate with the go-go alternate form of the goblin tinker. Best I could come up with this morning. >:

The original ultimate:

Level 6 Ultimate:
Polarity Change
  • Instant Cast
    Shatters all magnets, every magnet deals X damage to nearby enemies and extends knockdown by 1 second. No cooldown.
Last edited by 2-P on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Magnark, Gravity Bender

Post by Greenspawn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:51 am

I like the idea of this hero :) you can do a lot with him, like drag enemies towards you (my favorite part) if they're latched onto a magnet.

Good job!
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:46 am

Seems cool but what does a magnet have to do with bending gravity? xD
English should not be a prerequisite for intelligence,

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:24 am

Happens to be very similar to stille gameplay wise. Yes, I'm pointing out the similarity because we'd all like to see something unique for a change.

Now I like the first skill, but how having a magnet collide into you blind you has yet to make any sense.

The problem with shattering magnets is that you make all of your other spells useless by doing so.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:38 am

Intoxicated Crayon wrote:Seems cool but what does a magnet have to do with bending gravity? xD
They obviously don't know how and why magnets work, so they think Magnark is messing around with gravity. :vela:
Happens to be very similar to stille gameplay wise.
Eh... no? Having something in common and having similar gameplay are two different worlds.
Now I like the first skill, but how having a magnet collide into you blind you has yet to make any sense.
He's obviously pulling the magnet through the sand at a fast pace. so nearby enemies get sand in their eyes. XD
The problem with shattering magnets is that you make all of your other spells useless by doing so.
Yeah, true. I just never really saw that as a big problem, since the magnets have a very low cooldown and it's meant to be some kind of "finishing" spell anyway.
Dunno, I thought about changing it into a tank-mode buff where he gets a bonus for every nearby magnet... just can't come up with a good bonus, just adding some stats like +attack damage is lame.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:25 am

2-P wrote:
Intoxicated Crayon wrote:Seems cool but what does a magnet have to do with bending gravity? xD
They obviously don't know how and why magnets work, so they think Magnark is messing around with gravity. :vela:
He's obviously pulling the magnet through the sand at a fast pace. so nearby enemies get sand in their eyes. XD
Good answers lol

Also, what is the end condition for Allure? When does it stop moving the magnet?
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:09 am

Wee update.
-Changed Allure's blind to maim.
-Changed Overcharge's maim to blind.
-New ultimate.
Also, what is the end condition for Allure? When does it stop moving the magnet?
Hm, good question. I guess the speed would be rather fast, think EoD. Not channeling, you can walk while the magnet moves towards you. And yeah, it moves until it reaches you.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Review:
  • General Pros:
    - An innate that works. I've thought about this hero from every angle, and there's no way it could be shoved into a normal skill for it to work. Furthermore, this hero crumbles without the innate, just like it should.
    - The summon interaction is so there and it's so cool, too. How simple is that? Pulling a summon to you with an ability to deal some damage. That's great, reminds me of the first iteration of Myriad that failed for other reasons, except that this would work. That's great.
    - The magnet link ability is f*cking brilliant. God, I can't believe I didn't think of that myself. Totally kicks the shit out of any leashing thing Innert previously had.
  • General Cons:
    - Personally, the passive would be way cooler if instead of returning damage, it simply made the magnets explode when they die and deal AOE damage. That would function to the same effect of making enemies hesitant to kill them in melee, without having to do some crazy damage return even on ranged physical.
    - The ultimate being a self-booster ability is actually rather cool, especially that it makes him stronger for each magnet in range.
    - I hate the Tinker model, too one-track. Easily fixed, especially considering my next point.
    - I don't like the ideas of magnets, they really don't fit DoE. But who cares? Inspiration is good enough and you could replace the magnet with any dozen other things that would make more sense. No big deal.
  • Final Thoughts:
    - I walked into reading this hero expecting the contest to be a 3 way tie. Boy, was I wrong.
    - Only reason it didn't get a flat A was because the condition interaction is a bit silly in the proposed form. (ie. not very important at all to the hero) It's definitely still better than B range, though, no matter how you cut it up, so it gets an A-.
  • End Grade:
    A-
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Hero Contest #3”