[D+] Vosko, the Opressive Arcanist

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!
VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

[D+] Vosko, the Opressive Arcanist

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Vosko
the Oppressive Arcanist
INT; Hallowed Order.

"I've never understood that name. Oppressive? Like, with the not-grantin-social-rights kinda thing?"
"Not social oppression. Physical. The air around him is...slow. Thick. As if time itself was congealing and centering around him. If you stay, your attacks must fight through the resistance. And if you try to run, you are swallowed by air and blinded by lights."
"'F he's a magick sort, wouldn't he want the opposite?"
"Oh yeah, he won't be able to do much to you when you're kept in close like that. But his friends will."

Level 1 Skill:
Stifling Sphere
  • Active Summon. Summons a magickal sphere that maims enemies in X range for 10 seconds. Y second cooldown.
Level 1 Skill:
Arduous Air
  • Toggle. Cripples all units (enemies and allies) in a short range of Vosko. Allies get an x% bonus to attack power.
Level 1 Skill:
Shimmering Shield
  • Passive. Any unit within X range of Vosko that moves away from him is blinded for Y seconds.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Beckoning Beacon
  • Active Summon. Summons a Beacon of Power. It can be moved by Vosko, is invincible to normal damage, and has the "Beckon" ability. When "Beckon" is used, all enemies in X range are blinked to the Beacon, which then disappears. 180 second cooldown.

To clarify for Beckoning Beacon(I wanted this part outside of the skill text because it makes it look messier and more complicated than it really is): Beckon cannot be used for the first 5 seconds of the Beacon's existence. The Beacon stays summoned until destroyed (e.g. communion, not normal damage), 'Beckon' is used, or Vosko dies.

He's a controller. I like how range is a variable in three of his skills, it makes him a bit harder to predict. His main game is to keep enemies in melee - while he himself is bad at melee. So not a hero killer, but a hero manipulator. I think his skills really make sense and speak for themselves.
Last edited by VZhitogoroshi on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Noname, the Nullus Identificatious

Post by Oxygen » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:44 pm

vertejaune more or less has a similar passive skill
ultimate blatantly plagerized, though I won't hold it against you since I revoked my submission
ultimate blatantly similar, though I won't gold it against you since I revoked my submission
Last edited by Oxygen on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:54 pm

:o! I've only played a few games of DoE in the last few months, so I forgot that. Hrm...Shimmering Shield just works so well for him though. I need something that protects him from range, and does blind. Shimmering Shield was perfect. :x

I'll think about it.

EDIT: And oxy, that's a modified ultimate from my Contest 2 hero. I don't call it 'plagiarized', I call it 'modifying my old ideas.' >_>

EDIT EDIT: Wow, that really is pretty much exactly panic aura. I changed it up a bit. The new Shimmering Shield leads to some wacky dilemmas. Do you stand behind an ally, making it so a fleeing enemy can't turn around and counter-attack, or put yourself in a flanking position with an ally, so the enemy must choose between being blinding and attacking your ally or attacking you while being exposed to your ally...? The new skill cuts down his power level quite a bit, but the mind games certainly benefit.

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm

While the Stifling Sphere meant that I didn't need Beckoning Beacon to be an actual summon, Dusk's post got me thinking that making the Beacon a bona-fide summon would be an interesting wrinkle. It's a tad more complex than I like now but I think it's more fitting than the old one. Comments appreciated.

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Vosko, the Opressive Arcanist

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Holy crap! A real name?!!?

Any last critiques are certainly welcome. I can't find anything to change, at any rate. Assuming, of course, Shimmering Shield's current incarnation can be programmed in to the game. :/

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:16 pm

sphere looks like maltheron's embersparks alot, it is suggested to find skills that aren't already in games!

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Eh, the sphere is a summon as opposed to a zone, doesn't do damage, has different variables, and Vosko will be on the opposite team as Malth. I don't think that's similar enough to warrant change. (As opposed to Shimmering Shield version 1, which was almost EXACTLY panic aura.)

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:07 am

Review:
  • General Pros:
    - I really like the blink-to-me-beacon skill. (Minus the summon part, see below)
  • General Cons:
    - Your skill names are about as inspired as the skill names in WoW. "ARCANE MISSILE!" "DARK POWER!"
    - So you have some interesting abilities, but... Where do they work together? Consider that you have a passive that only works when they run from you, a quasi-summon that pulls things to you, and some assorted fluff stuff. None of those things really make sense together except the 'around-you' cripple and the ult when used as soon as it's summoned when it's next to you. The passive is never going to be useful with his playstyle and the first skill is kind of... Just there, really. I mean, an AOE sphere summon that maims stuff and deals some damage? I don't follow what makes that more than just "Interesting."
    - I really don't like the ultimate as a summon. If I were to make this hero, I'd remove the fact that the beacon can be moved (because it would look ridiculous as all getup) and just make it pull enemies to it in an AOE. I really like the dynamic of yanking enemies to it, but it's just left hanging by the rest of the abilities on the hero.
  • Final Thoughts:
    - So you've got a fairly dull hero I hate to say with one spell that has huge potential for awesome (the ult). The summons are rather silly, and really, you don't get anything out of them that tickles me in any way, shape, or form. I was hoping that people would focus more on interacting with the summons, especially since I never specified that you could only just create a summon. The hero needs so much more interaction (and a totally new passive ability) to really be awesome. You should totally have hooked to the ult, removed the summon stuff from it, and focused the entire hero around interacting with it. Heck, you could've had your summon ability then interact with a point, like chaining a dog by a stake to a part of the terrain. Oh well, the hero wasn't awful, but it was certainly more "meh" than "ah."
  • End Grade:
    D+
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Hero Contest #3”