Some skin updates

All artistic endeavors related to the DoE characters or the world they live in go here. If you've got artistic questions about how people interpret a hero or just have something nice you've drawn to show, drop it in a post here!
NiRVaNa_87
Noobite Warrior

Some skin updates

Post by NiRVaNa_87 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Hello everyone! As mentioned in AR's thread, I did some updates of some skins very long ago. They probably wont make it into the game as I never got any feedback from Dusk, so for now this is just showcasing old works :P

For Janise I only changed the wings, as the original idea of making energy wings didn't worked right in warcraft and with the warden's model; as for Ztera I changed the cape and body a bit, and increased the overall saturation to fit with the rest of the cast.
Stille was made from scratch, while still basing it on the old look. I added more colors to break the monotony, made it slightly lighter, simplified a few things and increased the saturation and contrast a little.

And the comparison from the old to the new, since I honestly didn't remembered how they looked like before:
Janise

Ztera

Stille

That's all, hope you guys like it

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Re: Some skin updates

Post by Loki » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Oh wow, I LOVE the new Stille!! :o
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 am

Yo, scrub, if you had an instant messaging service we could talk about this stuff! PMs suck so hard for this stuff. :P

That Janise isn't much different from the current one going into 1.15 so far as I can tell.. Just by comparing to the one on my computer, the only difference is the wings. I really liked the last versions' plasma-blade wings! ;_; I'd be kind of sad to see them go! I do, however, need that icon; the old one just isn't cutting it for the new skin.

I kind of have a soft spot for the old Ztera, and for whatever reason I like it more than this one. Also, this one's a bit too over-saturated and bright for WC3 (can't believe I'm saying this). For instance, her skin is so rosy it looks sunburned and her hair is so bright it looks bleached. I like the way you did the leaves on the skirt and shoulderpad, though. I always felt that the old skin was a bit too busy in those areas and all you could make out was the color green.

I totally dig Stille, though. Happily add that to the game without hesitation; the old one is a bit dark and tough to see anyway, and that new icon is baller as hell. <3

P.S. If you're interested, I could use a few newer icons for older heroes too. The textures have been getting updated, but they still have ancient icons that barely look like them anymore, hah.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 am

Janise feels more complete in the new version even if "plasma wings" (or whatever) looked sweet. I must agree on ztera. The old one is seemingly all covered in sand which is totally fitting given "desert" of exile". Though the new one's face is probably better, the other has hers so dirty, that I do find weird. Hard to hate the new stille, thought the old one also had this sandy attitude. Can thrown blades have a custom model? (I'm sure they can). Any in-game shots of them? I'm pretty sure doe has special ambient light which might make them look less saturated as dusky said.

NiRVaNa_87
Noobite Warrior

Post by NiRVaNa_87 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:04 pm

The thing is, I don't have wc3 anymore, so I could take the ingame screenies.
Janise's energy wings, while they sounded like a good idea, really didn't worked on wc3 in my opinion, since as you said, the model seem to get darker with the shading system in there, and those energy stuff should be really bright and glowy. Ztera I take the crit, guess it's just a matter of taste, I thought the old one was just too dried out, but I guess id does fit in the whole deserty environment better.
And glad to hear everyone liked Stille, he was pretty much the main atraction in this thread sort to speak :P

As for the icons, I'll see what I can do, I must make 8 good quality drawings this month, and I'm starting with university next week, so I'm trying to get done as much as I can before I start. Are there any specific icons you need changed?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Nirvana_87 wrote:Are there any specific icons you need changed?
I have a list if you're curious. I'll PM them to you I guess. (Seriously, get an instant messaging service!)
Nirvana_87 wrote:Janise's energy wings, while they sounded like a good idea, really didn't worked on wc3 in my opinion, since as you said, the model seem to get darker with the shading system in there, and those energy stuff should be really bright and glowy.
You've always used really bright and saturated colors, so they seem to glow in their own right. Plus, hero glow from her cyan team color kind of makes them stand out anyway. I still think keeping a coherent color palette rather than introducing so much bright red would end up looking better in-game anyway, but I'm willing to try anything once. If you still have links, I'll give them a shot in the environment and take some screenshots for comparison. I'm pretty sure it'll seem strange, though.

The new Ztera would probably be perfect if the colors just weren't so bright. I know that years ago, I had the same kind of critique for your other textures too (Fahren used to be way too bright too, then you muted the colors a bit and it was great). I'm sure that's probably all that needs to be done.

Also, for the record, don't take the crit too harsh; anything you see AR post has gone back and forth through me at least a half-dozen times before he posts it. :P
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

NiRVaNa_87
Noobite Warrior

Post by NiRVaNa_87 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:I have a list if you're curious. I'll PM them to you I guess. (Seriously, get an instant messaging service!)
I have one, I just don't use it much. I know many people that probably hate me for not getting online often (erwt is surely on that list if he actually remembers who am I).
I could try adding you on msn and chat sometime, but I promised this so many times I'm starting to not believe it myself :P
Rising_Dusk wrote:You've always used really bright and saturated colors, so they seem to glow in their own right. Plus, hero glow from her cyan team color kind of makes them stand out anyway. I still think keeping a coherent color palette rather than introducing so much bright red would end up looking better in-game anyway, but I'm willing to try anything once. If you still have links, I'll give them a shot in the environment and take some screenshots for comparison. I'm pretty sure it'll seem strange, though.

The new Ztera would probably be perfect if the colors just weren't so bright. I know that years ago, I had the same kind of critique for your other textures too (Fahren used to be way too bright too, then you muted the colors a bit and it was great). I'm sure that's probably all that needs to be done.

Also, for the record, don't take the crit too harsh; anything you see AR post has gone back and forth through me at least a half-dozen times before he posts it. :P
No biggie, I like taking crits, it's just that its been so long since I did something for wc3 that I don't know if I can't still do the whole "make it look good ingame", I got bored of working on low ress models. I really should learn some proper modeling and do skins for my own stuff sometime.
I don't remember that thing with Fahren actually, but I do tend to use saturated colors a lot, that's something I have fix someday... I'll check if a quick color tunning does the work though.

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Cooldood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Shiny : )
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

Return to “Concept & Fan Art”