Chronicles of a Dungeon Diver

Join the forumites of VZ in yet another journey of epic proportions in the world of Angband!
Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Chronicles of a Dungeon Diver

Post by Black_Heart » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:27 pm

I just thought it would be fun to write a small sort of story about my character's adventures in Angband. I placed it here since it relates to that challenge; hopefully it isn't out of place. If anybody else wants to do something similar from their own point of view, feel free.
Sanesh's Journal, Entry 1

Today, my father handed me a sack full of gold pieces and told me it was my birth mother's final wish that I receive them, to be put towards my future. What future? Half-breeds like me don't have much of a place in this world. At least not the world I know of. Hell, the only person who'd hire me is that freak who manages the "free trade association," and it's about a hundred times safer going dungeon-delving than it is working for him and his "associates."

Speaking of which... There was a small group planning an excursion into the dungeon. There was a pretty good mix of people... I remember a Gnome, and one of those snooty High-Elves. Still, they looked like they knew what they were doing, and offered to bring me along. I'm pretty sure they were kidding, based on the way they told me to "meet them on the third floor," but we'll see how much they laugh when I get there.

So I'm on the second floor, now. I spent my mother's gift on a suit of armor and a sword/shield combo. I suppose this is proof that I'm not really an Orc, since I could have bought a battleaxe for around the same price, but I'm a little more comfortable with a shield in my hand. Easier to not die that way.

The first two levels had a couple of jackal nests in them. They were pretty rabid, leaping at me as soon as they heard me coming, but the tight corridors didn't leave them room to surround me. I'm getting a little more comfortable in my armor, it's easier to move around in than it was before. I've found a couple pieces of copper already, along with some bottles of liquid. I guess that they were left here by other adventurers who weren't quite as lucky as I was.

I tasted one of the potions. It smelled sweet, and had this soft orange color to it. As soon as I drank it, though, I started feeling sluggish... Sort of lethargic. It wore off pretty quickly, which was lucky for me, but now I know to be more careful with those things. I'm lucky it wasn't poisonous.

Made it to the third floor, finally. Now I just have to find the rest of those adventurers, if they're still here... If not, I guess I'll just have to push on without them. I have to earn back what I spent on this equipment... Otherwise this was all just a waste.
Image Image Image Image

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Re: Chronicles of a Dungeon Diver

Post by Black_Heart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 am

Sanesh's Journal, Entry 2

Met up with the rest of the group. They're just as cold to me as everybody on the surface, but... it's different here, somehow. I don't feel like they hate me for what I am. I... I don't know. I'll find out as we go, I guess. I hope I made the right decision, signing up with them.

The monsters are getting stronger as we delve deeper. There were a couple of these men in plate armor, carrying swords and these weird symbols. They attacked me on sight... I think they were rival adventurers. Guess they want all the treasure to themselves, and it isn't like there's any law in here. Anyway, the first time I went up against one, I started winning, seeing as I'm a lot stronger than they are, but he held up that symbol and mumbled something. Then he... changed. Turned into this massive, pulsating blob of darkness that reached towards me. I... I lost it. I ran as far away as I could... but when I looked back, he was just himself, backing away due to his wounds. I moved towards him cautiously and he just retreated... Then he morphed again, but I took a chance and swung at one of the dark tendrils. It just melted out of the way of my sword.

Turns out it was just some kind of illusion. It still startles me whenever they do it, and I'm always careful, but... I know not to always trust my eyes, anymore. I also know that I need to get a lot braver if I'm going to keep going down those stairs.

I also ran into my first trap. I was moving down a hall when the floor collapsed underneath me, and I gashed my arm on some of the rocks as I was falling. I managed to climb out, and the cut stopped bleeding pretty quickly, but it was still something I need to watch out for in the future.

Oh... and then, when I tried to cover the pit with a rock so I could cross back over it, I managed to fall in and gash my other arm. Not... not a very cool thing to have happen. I've got to shape up, if I want to call myself a dungeoneer. I've always liked that word.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Angband: The Adventure”