Silencing Eternity; A Guild Wars Short Story

This place was made by the Deathand, and the Deathand keeps it. Here you may find all manner of stories and ideas he wishes the world to see. Enter traveler, behold its wonders.
Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Silencing Eternity; A Guild Wars Short Story

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:07 pm

NOTICE: This short story is taken out of context from any certain point in time. Suffice to say it is very early in Guild Wars history. Feel free to post anything about your thoughts on my writing, but keep it to an infrequent basis. My rights reserved as usual. End Notice
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaome Sky I was; Kaome Sky I will remain.
Henceforth all men will call me the Deathand.
Tyriaborn I am, but now my true habitation is the Underworld.
I was revealed in the depths of the Earth;
And with my brethren I was moved through the entire universe.
I shall remain until Doomsday upon the face of Tyria.
Who is there to say whether my flesh was meat or not?
For I was created from the nine forms of elements:
By the hand of my Lord Grenth at the worlds beginning.
The Necromancer of necromancers created me.
From the essence of all souls was I made.
Renowned blood once flowed in my veins.
I was made, remade, and will be made again.

Hear my bold telling:
I was a man once, A warrior I have been; a warrior I will be.
Bloodiest warrior, I could put into war what the spirit will suffer.
Like my brethren, I have fought since I was born.
I slew a crested serpent in whos skin six fifties of souls are tortured.
I caused a field of blood, and on it seven hundreds of warriors; slick and red my shield and blade.
Ah but bright gold my shield ring.
I attacked.
Hatred was my only weapon.
The spite of a demon burned within me.
The battle frenzy of Balthazar was not more glorious than my black rage.
I wounded an enchanted beast, a hundred heads upon it;
And a fierce host at the root of its tongue--A black, forked tongue.
Nine hundred claws it raised against me.
Faltering, I called upon Grenth to deliver me.
And then I thought no more.

At my new calling the small-souled scattered like sparks from a firebrand flung from high Shiverpeak.
Four fifties of smoke will follow me.
Five fifties of slaves will serve me.
My undead horse is swifter than any sea gull, swifter than any hunting hawk.
I am a consuming darkness that blankets the light.
Twin blades of excellence craft in my hands.
The battle is my true voice.
I wandered; I encircled.
I have slept in a hundred realms and dwelt in a hundred halls.
And a hundred hundred kings will yet salute me.
But today is not that day.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The eternal twilight was shattered as the first bright rays of a brand new dawn pierced my vision.
It was not the light that astounded me, nor was it the breaking of that dark abyss.
It was that I could see at all.
I found myself standing upon a well worn dock; the sound of gulls filled my ears, the bustle of cargomen, the splash and spray of the sea upon the nearby rocks. It was as if I had been thrown through the ages by the whim of a mad god and cast upon a shore to which I had no knowledge of. I cast my gaze to myself and found to be garbed in cloth and armor of which the likes I had never seen before. I could feel the plates covering my chest and shoulders, the gauntlets sheathing my forearms, the plates built into my gloves, turning a simple punch into a nightmarish strike. There! The thick plates protecting my legs as well, with boots the likes of which defied my minds eye, cloth wrapped and comfortable. A thick cloth hood rested over my head and veiled me from the world. Every inch of my skin was hidden from view, every inch protected or covered in these simple, yet somehow unearthly complex clothes. White the color of Shiverpeak snow, etched with a swirling design of a dying dragon drowned in inked blood red, trimmed with runes upon runes in the color of polished gold that shined like a star dying in the sky.
My next discovery was upon reaching over my right shoulder and feeling the worn grip of an ancient blade.
But lo! There was not one, but two blades resting like slumbering vipers sheathed in the hide of demons. I could scare contain my rapture as I unsheathed these weapons, blades of pure excellence, in a single motion, almost as if they wished for the grip of my armored hands, as if the awaited the wash of blood to stain them. The blade in my left hand, Salvation etched into its side, opposite that in marks I had never seen before, but understood as if I had wrote them myself, Take Me Up. A curious thing, but upon glancing at its companion Damnation there for the world to see, I turned it aside and clearly read Cast Me Aside burned into the cold metal. Steel it was not, it looked so ancient as if to break upon striking a piece of grass, but shimmered if held just right. I returned them to their resting place, just as easily as they could be drawn, a feature which seemed impossible for a human body to achieve, but flowed as smoothly as a stream cleared of rocks.
I had not been noticed by any as of yet, standing where I was surrounded by a legion of crates and other supplies. I was suddenly very thankful for that, as I glanced into the water to my side and found not human eyes, nor a human face looking back, but a leering, grinning skull, with orbs as crimson as the aura of blood on the moon at the dawn of a doomed year. I was slightly taken aback for a moment, how had this happened to me? Time streched until it snapped, the floodgate of my mind unbarred enough to know that I was still, infact, Kaome Sky...
It was only now I had undertaken an oath, a title fitting of my ways.
I stood from the kneeling position I did not know I had taken and looked inland.
The Deathand. I was Kaome Sky Deathand.
And Grenths will would be done.

~More Later

Kaome Sky Deathand

Re: Silencing Eternity; A Guild Wars Short Story

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Imagine, if you can, not ever having to breathe. Ever.
There is no steady pulse of your heart, no rush of blood in your veins.
I could not tell whether it was a cold wind that blew across the harbour or a warm breeze. That the wind was blowing was easy enough to tell, the sails of the boats at anchor, my own garments flowing in and out, all visible signs. I pulled my hood as far as it would go and found to my delight that it nearly blanketed the entirety of my rictus grin. I stepped out from my place of solitude and headed further into the bustling dockyard. Again to my delight, people hardly noticed me at all. A strange thing to be sure, but as I glanced into the increasing flow of human traffic I found myself to be only unique by the color of my vestments. Guards in armor, others like myself yet clad in clashing colors of all spectrums, even a dignitary surrounded by several men in burnished black plate.
Perhaps it was indeed the color of my garb that snatched their attention. An unspoken word, as if they shared one mind, and all grasped the hilt of their blades. I ignored them entirely, they were nothing to me.Whatever it was that drove me, guided me deeper into the city. Buildings rose on all sides around me, almost as if seeking to choke the life from me.
The city itself seemed to be against me.
I pressed on.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 am

You might think it odd.
A man who suddenly finds himself no longer amongst the living not being shocked to the point of insanity. I tell you truthfully it still baffles me from time to time, but when you find yourself in the service to the God of Death, Grenth himself, you really don't question your existence. I suppose that would hold true for any of the six gods.
I found myself in a rather large market place, having walked through a living quarter hung with grand tapestries. Ahead of me, dominating the horizon, stood a marvel of human wonder. The Palace was immense and crafted as if by the gods themselves. Mighty towers stood trying to reach the sky, the central dome like a rising sun. I took a few more steps towards that direction and felt a sudden emptiness within me.
No, that was not the way I was to go.

I turned my back to the splendor and gazed toward the center of the city.
It was out there, whatever I was seeking, buried deep within the stone and iron that made this place.
"You there! Stay where you are!"
Slowly, ever so slowly, I turned my head around to glance behind me. Several guards converged on my position from my right to my left. I turned to face them and noticed that two of them had a very distinct aura about them, almost as if...
DHUUM DHUUM DHUUM DHUUM DHUUMDHUUMDHUUMDHUUM
Now I knew what it was I was hunting.
"Come to me..." I breathed. My voice sounded like the scattering of souls. A person frozen for far to long and allowed to speak only once. The noise of the wind when it whips through the grave stones.
Two of them flinched, that was all the incentive I needed.

My blades were already in my hand and I could not recall drawing them. I crossed the threshold of the open market in the blink of an eye. The man that would be first to die, was in fact a man, human, a guard in the service of this land. His armor opened up like parchment taken in two hands and pulled apart. I had leveled him with a hard right handed strike across his chest from left shoulder to right hip. My left, drawn back and low, slashed me into a spin. The blade sliced open the mans gut and formed a pool of blood at my feet. My final strike upon him was a reverse stroke, under my right arm as I switched grips on the weapon, skewering him like a fish between first and second lumbar. The tip stuck out his back trying to scar the sky.
All this in the span of a few seconds.

Now they reacted. There was five of them now, including the two demons.
It was the humans they sent in first. Three men against one undead. I was insulted.
The first fell easily, he was a fool, frightened, broken by the sight of his dying comrade. He charged at me, leveling for a wide sweep from his right side that would have cut me in half. I unsheathed my blade from the body it had been suspending and, still reverse gripped, made a vertical slash that cut the man from groin to nose. He spit blood and fell backwards into a heap. The others covered me from the sides. They came in swift and sharp. However their blows, one high, one low, found nothing but air. I was no longer there, and to their bewilderment they could not locate me until I had shoved a sword through the neck of one of Dhuums minions. To my surpise he didn't fall, he didn't bleed, he tried to turn and look at me.
I was forced to retreat via backwards lunge from his companions counter-blow.
I should clear things up for you. The humans held swords as normal as any, the demon with Salvation sticking out of his throat was also wielding a blade, just a jagged version. The other demon held a very large ball hammer.

I now had only one sword, which I gripped in two hands.
No...no I had more blades. Scores of knives at my disposal.
The people in the market place had long since scattered like leaves to the wind.
The humans now looked dubious, one of their 'leaders' still walking about with a sword through him.
Not to mention they were facing something that killed two of their comrades as if it was nothing.
I moved my left hand down to my chest and gripped a small hilt.

They were already charging.
The spite that only demons could have, raging within them.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:26 pm

A storm of iron.
I did not want to stop one, I wanted to slow them all. In my hand, the dagger I was drawing turned into countless (mostly because I didn't have the time to count them) shards of metal. They flew into the air and bounced upon the ground where they did more damage then I could have imagined. The demons writhed in sudden pain, their human counterparts stopping short behind them.
I wanted to be there, so I was.
"Vanish..." I hissed into their ears.
They turned as one and were rewarded with the explosion of powder into their eyes.
"Ack!" one managed to scream before stooping into coughing fits just as bad as his companions, who vainly tried to clear his eyes. Two wide sweeps, one from my right to left across the spine of one man, the other high, from left to right across the others face, neck, and shoulder. They fell as the smoke cleared, giving me time to react to a charging demon in human flesh. His vile counterpart close behind.

I charged and leapt as he, being the one with the hammer, swung hard. Time seemed to slow as my orbs and his eyes met as I cascaded through the air. I landed with hardly any sound and took out his companion in two quick slashes, that I cannot recall how they were made. Only that he fell apart and turned into ash. Salvation once more in my hands. The other minion of Dhuum was at a loss. My back toward him I sheathed both weapons in a motion and turned to face him.
"Well? Aren't you going to make your master proud?"
He snarled and threw...THREW...his hammer at me as if it was a toy, all pretenses of 'humanity' gone.
It was easy enough to dodge, but he wasn't seeking to harm me. He was running now.
My hunt had only begun.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 pm

Imagine if you can, never getting tired.
You could run and run and keep on running until the world ended.
At that moment, that was how I felt. The legionnaire of Dhuum headed into the heart of the city, away from the sprawling market place and the wandering eyes of the populace. that suited me just fine, almost as much when he took to the skyways and started to go from building top to building top. It meant I wouldn't have to worry about guards getting in my way. I followed suit, staying on his heels as he leapt from shingled roof to shingled roof with sure foot and limitless stamina. His aura darkened, the humanity guise slipping from him like water off a melting icicle. I soon followed not a man in armor, but a creature with bulging muscles and sweeping tails.

It was a trap.
He was leading me into the heart of darkness, for not a moment past before he dropped once more onto the streets and vanished into a gaping hole in the ground. I stopped short on the roof above the pit and squatted down. Nothing moved within that hole. Still I wasn't going to press my luck. I dropped to the street and walked the few paces toward the gaping maw of darkness and pulled a few white stripped orbs from my garments. Where they had come from, I do not know. I did know however, what they were going to do, without prior usage. I tossed them casually into the air and watched with morbid fascination as they descended into the darkness of the depths of the earth, then rewarded with a glaring bright light that challenged the sun for dominance.
I descended into that madness of screams and grunts.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:31 pm

I had landed in a nest of vipers.
There was twelve of them, at least, surrounding me in a staggered circle. I had but moments to plan an attack to fell them all before they overwhelmed me utterly. I had less than that, for I no longer had any rational thought, the process was slow, instead I took action, and reacted. The first of the twelve fell without a sound, I chose to double strike him in an 'X' slash across his face. He bled a sickly green from his ruined orbs and collapsed into a heap. I kept my momentum running forward into the next foe, sliding in low to avoid a murderous headblow, and removing his feet. As he fell I contorted, swinging out in a wide arc and finding to my delight that I had slit some fools belly and throat. I held an upside down view of my attackers and instantly wished to be behind the one in the back.
So I was.
He did not register that fact until I cut his armor open in a right handed sweep as easily as a dockworker cracks open a sealed barrel. His body shielded me from a barrage of arrows coming from the left. Twisting away, I was forced to lunge left handed into my next foe, driving my blade into his throat before twisting it, making a right mess of the wound and spilling his blood on the ground. I danced around his body and was smacked square in the chest by a vicious hammer blow. I felt, rather than heard my ribs shatter with the strength behind it. I was tossed like a ragdoll into the air and landed upon the ground, bouncing once, before coming to a rest.
I was not bothered, I knew what would happen next.
I sat upright, startling my adversaries, the sound of snapping bone was audible as my body fixed itself. I had been tagged in the side, just under the left arm by the marksman. I gripped the offending trinket out of my clothing with my right hand and snapped in half with my fingers. My sword lay a few feet away from my grasp, such a blow I had taken. They came at me again, fire in their eyes, roars on their breaths. I lashed out, focusing my sights on one in particular and was rewarded with a great meaty smack of a flesh. The dagger I had just cast found its mark in the fletchers eye and broke his aim. A two handed grip on my sword, and I became a whirling dervish.
I feinted forwards, before lunging back, unleashing a torrent of blinding powder upon my foes. Three of them cursed, falling into the trap. Two of which met Grenth by my hand in a series of vertical and horizontal slashes in rapid sucession. The third fell to my open left hand, I palmed him square in the face, grasped his skull, then wrenched him behind me. The sickly sound of meat being swekered followed soon after as he was impaled by the earth itself.
Now fear crossed them.
The next wave advanced into my web of whirling destruction.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:56 pm

A twitching form on the ground, he had no legs...he would be no trouble unless I got close.
The archer, wrenching the jagged dagger from his torn socket with a spurt of blood and a snarl.
Four advancing demons.

I met the first with a high guard and gutted him in a single sweep. That sweep became a turn, which became a thrust into the chest of the next foe before me. He gurgled and fell to his knees. My sword stuck fast. Cursing I withdrew from the body and evaded a number of wild slashes from the remaining two. They were filled with it, this fear of me, and I drew strength from it. I retreated back to where my other blade had fallen and picked it up in a smooth motion, turning just in time to deflect a poorly aimed shot from the struggling archer. It was over now and they knew it. They turned.

I was at the archer, tendrils of wispy black smoke surrounded him, binding him in place. I shoved a dagger into his other eye and left him to writhe. I was at the first, a blade in his hand. In a single arc I cut him from left thigh to right shoulder, opening him up liek an animal at Carnia. I was at the last, he had dropped his hammer and was running full out. Twin daggers found thier mark in the meat of his thigh. He stuttered and fell, having just enough time to look up and see his flashing doom. It was a short walk back to the body which held my sword. A twist, the sound of grinding bone, and the blade came free. They returned to their home.

One left, writhing on the floor.
I approached him and peered down into his eyes.
He cringed.
"Tell me lost one...where is your master?"
He gurgled and spat at me.
"So be it..." I hissed and slammed my palm into his prone form.
In a matter of moments his body turned black and purple. He twitched violently then fell silent.

I had seen all I needed.
He was here, Dema the Eternal.
I would fix that.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:37 pm

It did not take me long to find him and his cabal.
I had wandered, almost aimlessly deeper into these dark places.
It was as if I was being led there, as if all of this was some event I had already done and forced to do over and over.
Who is to say? The gods are cruel and could easily do that to a being.

Dema the Eternal, a Magos to Dhuum.
Grenth wanted him dead, and so he would be.

Only the five, Dema and four retainers.
As I dropped onto the dirt floor from my higher vantage point, he turned and looked straight at me. Across the way, as if he had known I would be there. He knew who I was, what I was to do, a look, not of fear, but of...anticipation almost, crossed his features. He gestured for his retainers to fall back into the shadows. They did so without hesitation. We crossed the threshold, coming closer to one another, I could see him in detail now. He was tall, taller than me, immense bulk of demon muscle, yet still almost acrobatic in his meandering step. He was enjoying this, his body language told me as much. He wore armor the color of shades, he held a sword of thorns and chitinous bone. It dripped a vile ichor. His head was like a toads, for his grin was ear to ear, showing me his teeth, rotten, yellow, and sharp.

"Dema..." I hissed.
"Kaome Sky Deathand..." He spoke my name as if it was a piece of rotten meat he was rolling around in his mouth.
"Words are lost Dema...shall we begin?" I took a stance, my blades begging to cut him apart.
Dema nodded in agreement, before lunging in with a vicious slash.
You cannot imagine such speed as we unleashed. In the span of a few seconds we exchanged thirty-three blows. His demonic speed was almost rapturous, he danced around me like a Canthan celebrant, I countered with arcing sweeps and driving lunges, making him break off and dart in when he could. The tension was amazing, I didn't think about it at all, it was natural, it just happened. We traded another set of forty blows before we deadlocked. We broke and circled.

"You rotting corpse...how long can those old bones last?" he fingered a nick I had given him across his cheek.
I ignored him and lunged in for a dual strike. He countered as easily as the wind would snatch a leaf from a tree. He swung wide, forcing me to evade out of combat. He chuckled as I apparently struggled with his attacks. Rushing in, we exchanegd another set of blows. Sparks flew off our blades as they met, striking the floor in chaotic swirling patterns as we danced around each other in combat. An endless waltz of fury and determination.
We broke off again.

"How long must we do this puppet of Grenth? How long will you continue to defy your ticket to Oblivion?" He was bleeding from a score or more of cuts on his body. His breathing pattern had changed. I got him more, he got me deeper. There was a jagged hole in my chest on the higher tier of the right side. Three or four ribs were missing, causing my right side to be sluggish to attacks and movement. He scoffed again and regained a better composure. I was behind him, slashing high and low. He was behind me, striking for a vertical slice. I was at his side, he was at mine. I was above him, falling like a spider. He was not there when I landed, but rushing from the left like a bull. I was to his right, lunging like a mantis. He was to my back, coiled like a viper before slashing out. I was behind his swing, clawing like an fox. He was in my blindspot, blossoming like a lotus. I was in the air, free.
We broke again. Spent. Utterly spent.

I could feel them, clawing at my mind, his rabble of demons.
For a creature of unlimited stamina, I felt tired.
His blade sailed at my head, I turned it aside with my twins and shoulder checked him back a stumbled step.
I had a moment to strike, I went in for the kill.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Kaome I was, Kaome I shall remain.
I have single handedly angered the six gods and defied their will.
I have defied the laws of reality and made a choice outside Lyssa's Grace.
Hear my Bold Telling:

I was a fool.
The attack left me overextended, defenseless against his counter attack that all but ripped me apart. I struggled to retain my host form, the skeletal remains shattering with the force of his reverse swing. My knees buckled and I fell to the floor before him. Salvation was wedged in the meat of his throat and shoulder, the wound dripping his lifeforce everywhere. He was grinning regardless, taking a rigged position over me, drawing his blade up to end my existence.
No...
It could not end like this.
What transpired next defies my ability to describe.
His blade fell in slow motion. In that time frame I moved through the universe. I saw a land where Abaddon left his mark against the world. I saw a sleeping dragon beneath a vast ocean of fire. I saw one awake, in a place of dust and ash, she trembled at my coming. I saw a creature that was, but wasn't, with a book of power. I saw a city in ruins haunted by its former occupants. I saw a set of blades of pure flame. I saw a horn that shook the sky. I saw an army of creatures not unlike my current self swarm over the land and plunge it into darkness. I saw it shattered by one lone figure. Finally I saw myself in a vast plain, where sky and sea were one vast reflection. I saw myself in armor the lieks of which the world had yet to craft, wielding blade and shield. I was greeted, as my future self knew this event to be an exact moment. I was shown what I had the ability to become.

Dema struck the ground with such force he fell to his knees.
The look on his face was pure confusion. I stood over him, ragged and broken. Our places swapped. Damnation sang in my hand. i meant to end him right there and then, if they had not arrived. The room was still. I could not move, save my sight. And such a sight I beheld...How many creatures can say they have seen the Avatars of the Six Gods? Shining and powerful they stood around me. Dwayna on my left, Grenth on my right. Before me, past the form of Dema from left to right, Melandru, Balthazar, Lyssa, Abaddon. They looked at me, as if I held some sort of answer to a question they had pondered since the dawn of man.
Choose...
I glanced sidelong, for it was Dwayna who spoke.
"Choose?" I managed to speak.
Choose creature...where this one shall go.
"Go?" I hissed perplexed by her lack of explanation.
Whether he shall see the light of my Eden...or...
Come with me to Oblivion...
I shifted my gaze to Grenth.

I started to speak, but Melandru came forward.
You are favoured by the Gods and as such deserve a reward. For this favor we will grant one in return. Are you not Kaome Sky Deathand? Did you not slay a Dragon who devoured souls? Did you not wound a beast the gods themselves struggle to fight?
Balthazar grumbled at the last remark.
"I am he..." I said.
She nodded. It was now Lyssa who spoke.
Then I will help you choose creature. Your choice shall be recorded by Abaddon and made Legend. One the one hand, Dwayna shall restore your flesh and eternal vigil over her Eden shall be yours. You will be made glorious, shing and bright.
On the other... Her twin spoke.
...You shall be made immortal in the undying. A true avatar of Grenth. You will hunt the underworld for eternity striking against Grenths enemies and ferrying the souls of the dead. You shall be blessed with undeath, and host powers not meant for this world.

So choose...

I had to decide, there and then, how I would spend my existance until Doomsday.
I thought of what I had seen, how I had looked. Neither guarding Eden nor hounding the Underworld.
I looked to the blades and found my answer.
You have made your choice?
"Yes..." I answered.
"Yes I have..."

In a surging strike, I smote Demas head from his shoulders. Salvation and Damnation cut through him as one, slicing through bone and muscle equally. Upon his demise, the demon dispersed into nothingness. I let the blades clatter to the ground. I knew not what awaited me now, but I would meet it on my terms.

"Go..." I said to them. "...go from my sight...I defy you."
The Gods were furious. I had bested them all at their own game.
The proverbial coin had landed on its edge and they had to abide by it.
Grenth nor Dwayna could claim me, Melandru would not harvest my bones for her renewing earth, I defied the dual nature of Lyssa, bested Balthazar in combat, and made a secret even Abaddon could not scribe. Instead, I became something more. Anathame to them, a creature that openly defied the gods simply by existing, a Tatari-Gami as the people of this land would say. My flesh was not entirely restored, nor my soul entirely made mortal...I remain.

No you have heard it...
Salute me and follow with free will or whither and die under the cruelty of the gods.
Master your own destiny or be mastered by it.
Whatever the choice, to me it does not matter, I abstain.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Fin
~Exitus Acta Anhelo
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:33 pm

And so the story is told.....
Thoughts?
Cruor Vult

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 pm

It's a thrilling story. But one thing confuses me.

How is killing Dema not what Grenth wanted? Or is just not choosing is the act of defying them?
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:25 pm

I certainly enjoyed it. The only criticism that comes to mind right now is that the last third of the last chapter was sketchy. That's the best way I can describe it.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:44 pm

How is killing Dema not what Grenth wanted? Or is just not choosing is the act of defying them?
Because the Gods desired him to be given in sacrifice to one of them, but now, on the contrary, Dema had been stolen from all of them.
The only criticism that comes to mind right now is that the last third of the last chapter was sketchy. That's the best way I can describe it.
I wouldn't say sketchy, but it at the very least felt a bit rushed to finish. I attribute that mostly to the fact he had to entirely rewrite it, so it lost a bit of the original flare. (It like, crashed when he first typed it all up)

The one thing I really disliked about the GW story in general is how the Gods aren't really Gods. I mean, the dragons themselves are more powerful than the Gods, and eventually the Gods simply abandon the world. It makes no sense to me, how can you be a God if there are beings more God than you? Would that not make you a half-God? A deity? A mortal? The scum on the bottom of my shoe? I mean really.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:24 am

Sadly it lost a lot of its flavor...
This ending is only about 40% what I had for original content.
Thats the problem with me sometimes...I get ahead of my self and forget to Save.
Cruor Vult

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:02 pm

Sorry to hear that, it's always painful for me. "I'll just load this up and fini-wait...where'd it....waaaaaah."
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Return to “Arcane Sanctuary”