Scriptures of the Order

Here is where ongoing, thought out, or finalized works can be posted for the viewing pleasure of the entire forums. Please, remember to give constructive criticism to anyone asking for an opinion.
VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Scriptures of the Order

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:04 pm

From the Book of War, Chapter 16.

The Giant King Kar Jir

[1] And so it came to pass, in the following days, that the Order was attacked [2] by the armies from the bitter north. [3] The tribes of Mas, Ka, Rem, and Hur formed a coalition against the Deathand [3] led by the Giant King from beyond the Lands of Ash, Kar Jir. [4] Kar Jir used the old magicks to bind the tribes to his will [5] and led them south, to the gates of the Order's stronghold. [6] The armies of the Order cowered behind their walls, fearing the power of the Giant King.

[7] The Deathand looked upon his men and was angry. [8] He said "Cowards and dogs, fear not this rat. [9] His wrath is nothing compared to my will [10] or have you all forsaken me, the Serpent's favored one? [11] The armies all begged the forgiveness of the Deathand, to the last man [12] And he was merciful upon them.

[13] On the fifth day of the fourth month, the armies of the north assembled beneath the walls of the Order's stronghold. [14] And the men of the Order grew fearful once more [15] incurring the wrath of the Deathand. [16] He said "What men are you to cower at such a pitiful sight! [16] You fear this rabble from the north, [17] I will show you what you should fear!"

[18] The Deathand rode forth from the stronghold alone, despite the pleading of his men [19] "What use do I have for you sniveling fools? [20] No, you boys hide behind these walls, as I bring down the North!" [21] And the Deathand approached the Giant King [22] Who rode upon the back of the Dragon, Mar'Lami. [23] The Deathand was unarmed, but still he had no fear. [24] Riding back and forth in front of the enemy camp, he shouted

[25] "You snakes come to take our land with your black arts [26] Who among you will face me? [27] Who among you dares bare the wrath of the Deathand?" [28] Within the camps of the northmen, no one dared answer [29] and the soldiers shivered in their tents [30] In fear of the Deathand.

[31] And the Deathand continued to taunt the Kar Jir. [32] He said, "You rat! You think your magic will save you from my power? [33] I am the favored one of the Serpent! [34] I call upon him to smite you, and all your men, all your animals, and all your property!"

[35] And Lo! The Serpent descended from the sky and consumed the armies of Kar Jir, the Giant King [36] Saying "You dare strike against my champion, for this you shall die." [37] And flames poured from the Serpent's mouth, consuming the Giant [38] and his monstrous mount, the Dragon, Mar'Lami [39] And the Deathand smote what remained of the army [40] In the fields of Harim.

Written by the hand of the Kan Codifier.

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Re: Scriptures of the Order

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:14 pm

From the Book of Magic, Chapter 9

The Gift of the Grimoire

[1] And the Angels created from this energy a magical tome [2] containing the secrets of the universe around them. [3] The Angel of Life said to the others [4] "Our task is complete. But I am fearful. [5] Who shall we entrust this great power to?" [6] The other Angels shared their concern, for they knew of the danger this book brought. [7] They began to consider destroying the tome, lest it fall into unsuitable hands. [8] The Angel of Magic spoke against them. [9] He said "Wherefore is their magic in the world, if not to be used? [10] Let us share this knowledge with those below [11] through this Grimoire, not destroy it!"

[12] But the other Angels did not heed his words. [13] They planned to destroy the tome so that its secrets would remain hidden for eternity. [14] But the Angel of Magic stole from them the Grimoire [15] and hid it from their sight. [16] The Angels lamented at the loss of the Grimoire. [17] "Now our work shall be undone! [18] The Power of the Grimoire has slipped from our grasp. [19] Who can know what damage it will do?" [20] All were distraught but the Angel of Fate.

[21] He said "What will be has been foretold, what is has been written. [22] Only I can know the path of the Grimoire. All is as it should be." [23] The other angels questioned the Angel of Fate, but he said not a word. [24] Only to the Angel of Magic did he speak, saying [25] "Your actions cannot be changed, Fate cannot be rewritten, [26] but the Grimoire has many paths. You must choose wisely." [27] The Angel of Magic said nothing, and the Grimoire remained hidden. [28] The Angels continued to search for it, while the Angel of Magic searched for its master. [29] For many years, their searches proved fruitless.

[30] It was during the time of the Snake, and the Grimoire was thought to be but a legend. [31] The Angel of Magic waited patiently for the one who was destined to bear the tome to come. [32] There was young mage, a member of the Order of the Secrets. [33] His name was Brother Dusk. [34] The Angel of Magic watched him carefully as he rose through the Order of the Robe. [35] Brother Dusk was a powerful mage, curious, and bright. [36] The Angel of Magic could sense the power of the Grimoire call to him. [37] He said "At last! The master has been found!"

[38] The Angel of Magic retrieved the Grimoire from where it was hidden [39] and appeared before Brother Dusk. [40] He said "You have shown great promise in the arts of sorcery. [41] Ages I have searched for one such as you, worthy enough to receive this! [42] The Grand Grimoire, created by the Angels at the dawn of time. [43] Use it for discovery, unravel the secrets of the world around you [44] but do not be consumed by its power!" [45] The Angel of Magic handed the Grimoire to Brother Dusk [46] and returned to his home in the heavens once again.

[46] Brother Dusk said not a word [47] but opened the Grand Grimoire and found it to be real. [48] He sat there for days, his mind filling with the knowledge [49] that even the Angels feared.

[50] The Angels lamented once more when they saw what had occurred. [51] The Angel of Magic approached the Angel of Fate, and he said [52] "Tell me, did I choose the wise path?" [53] The Angel of Fate said "Not even Fate can know the path of the Master of the Grand Grimoire. [54] He is above us now."

Written by the hand of the Kan Codifier

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:22 pm

From the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4

The Forging of Kaelis-Ra

[16] And the Deathand traveled to the deepest depths of the earth [17] searching for a weapon to replace his old. [18] He passed through the Fiery Gates of the Damned [19] and crossed over the Black Rivers of the Fallen. [20] All trembled as he passed, slinking away into the darkness. [21] The Deathand paid them no heed [22] for he feared no being. Even Angels trembled at his wrath.

[23] The Deathand entered the chamber at the end of his path [24] carved from the very center of the Earth [25] and free from Heaven's reach. [26] It was the Burning Hells [27] where the foolhardy and the weak found themselves [28] to suffer for eternity, but the Deathand was unafraid. [28] A black cloaked figure stood before the Deathand [29] He said "I know why you have come, [30] and I can make what you seek, [31] but it will be an abomination, devoid of all light, a blade reviled by all divine, [32] as black as the place where it was forged."

The Deathand replied [33] "I have crossed the boundaries where all men flee, [34] I have fought enemies more powerful than the gods, [35] I have caused the Angels to turn in fright with the mere sound of my voice. [36] I have no fear of anything. [37] I have come for a weapon worthy of me."

[38] The Fallen said nothing but turned to the forge [39] and he said "Very well, Champion, you shall have your weapon." [40] And the fires of Hell burned bright for ten full days and night [41] and the sound of the Fallen's hammer rang all the way to Heaven. [41] When it was finished, a choir of Fallen sang out its praises, [42] as the tears of the Angels' rained down upon it [43] cooling the living metal.

[44] The Fallen presented the blade to the Deathand [45] and the Deathand received it, accepting the unholy weapon. [46] He said "At last, I have a weapon worthy of me, [47] a sword of unspeakable power, [48] the bane of all who stand before it, [49] capable of cowing the Angel of War, [50] we shall face the end together, and bring it to its knees, Kaelis-Ra!"

Last edited by VZBushkiller20 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 pm

From the Book of War, Chapter 25

The Crusade of Ice

[1] And so Brother Faust, the High Reclaimer, led the armies of the Order [2] into the north for the Great Crusade [3] and as his force passed through the village of Chalxo [4] the barbarians descended from the hills [5] and ambushed the armies of the Crusade. [6] Horns blew through the night [7] as the snow fell. The High Reclaimer and his Crusaders shivered. [8] By morning, the armies of the Order had been pushed out [9] and the barbarians held Chalxo. [10] The morale of the Order was low and murmurs were heard among the troop.

[11] The High Reclaimer knew the fate of the Crusade depended on the image of invincibility [12] and that success at Chalxo was necessary [13] to claim the North in the name of the Order [14] and he moved his troops around the village [15] preparing for morning. [16] But the barbarian leader would not be so easily beaten [17] or so easily routed.

[18] The barbarians saw the Order and were disheartened. [19] They approached their leader, the warrior Lokar-Ri-Gar, [20] and they said “Come, let us flee this village [21] for the Crusaders are strong, and their numbers inexhaustible. [22] Let us return to our homes [23] to our wives and children!”

[24] But Lokar did not heed their words. [25] He said to them “The Order seeks to take from you your homes [26] and yet you would flee before them [27] in our hour of victory! Their reach shall not pass Chalxo!” [28] And he ordered barricades raised and defenses made [29] and the order was given that any man trying to flee would be put to death.

[30] At the sun’s light rose above the mountains, the drums of the Order sounded [32] and the barbarian warlords shook in fear [33] but Lokar knew no fear and the horns sounded once more. [34] The Crusaders charged the city [35] but the defenses held and they could not break through. [36] The High Reclaimer reorganized his force and led another charge [37] but once more he was pushed back, with a fatal wound from a barbarian arrow.

[38] The barbarians’ defenses were broken and the losses were heavy. [39] Yet still the barbarian leader refused to flee [40] and his generals spoke to one another [41] and they said “This city is lost, yet our lord refuses to admit the fact. [42] Let us open the gates of the city and as such save our lives.” [43] And a time was agreed on; at dawn’s first light.

[44] The High Reclaimer spent the night in pain as his wound refused to close. [45] From the shadows, a figure emerged, [46] the Kan Codifier, Brother Bush. [47] He said “I have come from the Scar on the orders of the Deathand. [48] You have served him well, but your command here is over, Brother.” [49] The High Reclaimer was incapable of speech, coughing up blood. [50] With the utmost respect, the Codifier eased his pain and helped the dying man pass. [51] He said “I shall finish what you started, Brother.”

[52] As dawn approached, the generals committed their treason [53] and the Crusaders saw the gates open and they charged. [54] They swarmed the streets of the village and still Lokar refused to submit. [55] With great fury he continued to fight, cursing his traitorous men. [56] After many deaths, he was bound and brought before the Codifier.

[57] The Codifier said “Tell me, barbarian, what is your name?” [58] In response, Lokar spat at Brother Bush’s feet. [59] The Crusaders rose to take his head, but the Codifier stopped them [60] saying “He has the courage to fight even now when his men have abandoned him [61] and he lays bound at my feet [62] and you wish to kill him?” [63] And thus the Codifier stayed their swords.

[64] He said to Lokar “I respect your strength, warrior [65] and am disappointed to have won by treachery alone. [66] Come, join us and fight by my side.” [67] Lokar said the Codifier “Justice must be served to the men who defied my orders, [68] give me your sword so that I might deliver it.” [69] With no fear, the Codifier gave Lokar Mar’Zhal, and the barbarian executed the punishment on his generals.

The writing here is smudged and illegible. What was said here has been lost to the records.

[82] Brother Bush said “Welcome to the Order, Brothar Lokar.” [83] And the High Reclaimer looked upon his army, those he had once called enemy. [84] He raised his sword and his scream could be heard throughout the village. [85] “FOR THE ORDER AND THE GLORY OF THE DEATHAND!”

Written in the hand of the Archivist Lankon

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:03 pm

From the Book of Shadows, Chapter 17

The Alabaster Assassin

[1] And so the Order of Secrets found itself opposed by the White King, who distrusted their methods and feared their strength. [2] He slandered the Deathand and his armies, saying that even they could not breach his ivory fortress. [3] The Deathand saw the attempt for what it was: [4] the desperate gambit of a terrified monarch. [5] Though he saw the bait, the Deathand chose to spring the White King's trap, for the Deathand heard the whispers in the shadows. [6] They spoke of something of unimaginable value that awaited his forces.

[7] So the Order marched under the personal command of the Deathand. [8] They made camp only once, in the Path of Rooks leading to the White King's castle. [9] While the army rested, the Deathand meditated beneath the moonless sky, [10] seeking in the darkness clues to the treasure he was meant to seize.

[10] The Deathand's meditation was not to be completed, [11] as he was interrupted by a presence not of the Order. [12] A figure, shrouded in white and with a covered face, leapt at him from the rocks above. [13] The Deathand was aware of everything that happened within his camp, and yet the assassin had evaded his notice for so long. [14] The Deathand's interest was piqued, and he was compelled to learn more.

[15] The assassin drew no weapon, and so the Deathand met her in unarmed combat. [16] She was swifter than the wind and stronger than the mountains, but the Deathand could not be beaten. [17] Without a word, the assassin drew back and uttered a long-forgotten word. [18] Around the Deathand the world itself seemed to bend inward, determined to bring him to his final rest, [19] but the Deathand would not be silenced. [20] Uttering a word of his own, the Deathand reached into the darkness around them and it lashed out at the assassin. [21] Her swiftness was not great enough to avoid the darkness all around her, [22] and it consumed her right arm before she danced away from it. [23] She was clearly unable to avoid another attack, and yet the Deathand still was compelled to wait.

[24] Before his eyes, she placed a hand in the air and began to weave it. [25] Within seconds she was whole again, and she opened her mouth to speak another curse, [26] her eyes empty of fear or passion. [27] The Deathand was impressed by the rapidity of her recovery, [28] and he closed the distance between them in an instant, interrupting her spell with a return to the dance of the fist.

[29] The Deathand spoke to her, but what he said was kept forever between the two warriors. [30] By the time the morning sun rose,the assassin had been given a place among the Deathand's chosen, garbed in the color of blood. [31] The White King, his gambit failed, was swept from the landscape of history before the star had reached its zenith. [32] The last sound he heard was his assassin, [33] singing a lament in the forgotten tongue that brought his very castle crashing down on him.

[34] The men of the Order present would never forget how the nameless assassin gained the title of Warsinger [35] or why they called her Scarlet.

Written by the hand of the Whisperer in the Shade
Image Image Image Image

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 pm

From the Book of War, Chapter 22

The Fall of Angels

[1] And so it came to pass, that the Deathand had defeated all mortal foes [2] and turned his attention to the Heavens. [3] And the Angels grew fearful. [4] They said to one another "This mortal has grown to powerful [5] and he wields the cursed blade, [6] the sword of the Abyss, Kaelis-Ra. [7] Come, let us send forth a champion to face him in combat [8] and put a stop to this threat [9] lest he become stronger and defeat us."

[10] One of their members stepped forward. [11] He was the Angel Eshal, lieutenant to the Angel of War. [12] And he said, "With my sword, I shall end this threat [13] and bring his head before this council." [14] And so Eshal grabbed his sword [15] the holy blade, the Vindicator, and he descended from the Angels' Halls.

[16] The Deathand walked through the fields of Rem [17] when he came upon a man standing in the grain. [18] As he approached, the man began to change [19] as wings sprouted from his back [20] and fire appeared around his body. [21] And the angel said "I have come to stop you, Deathand [22] and to end your threat to the rightful rulers of this world."

[23] The Deathand laughed and continued on his way [24] and Eshal became angry. [25] He said "You dare ignore me, Deathand? [26] Stand and face me! Your end is near!" [27] But the Deathand ignored him. [28] Eshal drew his blade and charged the Deathand [29] but the Deathand expected this. [30] He grabbed Kaelis-Ra and deflected the Angel's strike. [31] With power no mortal man should possess, the Deathand turned and attacked Eshal [32] as the two blades clashed once more, [33] light and dark mixing around them.

[34] The duel lasted for three full days [35] but the Deathand did not tire, nor did his strength wane. [36] At the end of the third day, the Deathand swung Kaelis-Ra [37] and knocked the Vindicator from the Angel's hands. [38] He said to him "You Angels have grown arrogant in your power [39] and forget that there are greater powers than you. [40] Your end is here, Angel." [41] And he thrust Kaelis-Ra into Eshal's heart.

[42] The Angel began to spasm as the Abyss poured into his heart. [43] His shape changed and lost its light [44] his wings morphed and became dark [45] and his Holy Blade burned on the ground beside him. [46] Eshal screamed in pain, but the Deathand was unmoved. [47] At last, he pulled his blade from the Angel's chest. [48] He said to him "The Abyss fills your heart [49] and to that place you are chained. [50] You have been defeated, Angel, [51] you have Fallen!"

[52] And Eshal, the Fallen, stared in horror as his form began to melt [53] as he was called to the darkness. [54] The Deathand smiled [55] for the time of the Angels would soon be over.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Scriptures of the Order

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Where there is Light there is Shadow, but the Shadow cannot shine.
Thus; it lives, fights, and dies in darkness. So that the Light may continue to shine.
This is the fate of a Shadow.
~preface to the Spheres of Balance

[1] In the spring of the year my lord and master, Kaome Sky Deathand, Right Hand of the Serpent, Scion of Balance, Deamon of the Thirteenth Seal did speak unto me asking to record his thoughts. [2] Verily he spoke, in a soft tone, asking that I, the Kan Codifier, listen to whispers of doubt and the song that silence sings. [3] So, with parchment and inks I sat ready and the Deathand spoke saying: [4] "I was man once, as were we all." [5] "As a man, I could never have contained the awesome truths I know behold...but are we not so much more than we once were?" [6] "Are we not likened unto Gods?" [7] "As such, are we not indivisible?" [8] "As long as one of us stands, we are Legion." [9] "Yay, though I speak out of turn. I was a man, once." [10] "I was once filled with a great dreading of my own mortality, not death, never death, but the life I lived." [11] "I wanted to be free." [12] "Free from fear, free from pain, free to take as much as I wanted or give as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted." [13] "I vowed: Someday, somehow, that was the way things were going to be." [14] Yay though the Deathand spoke I could not bare to hear such truths. [15] Mine own hands moved beyond the control of my mind and body, held in trance by the mere utterance of words from one such as He.

[1] And so the Deathand spoke saying: [2] "Still thine heart and clam thine mind old friend, you time has yet to come." [2] Mine own heart obeyed, calming, slowing, a normal pace set to the rhythm of anothers breath. [3] The Deathand continued saying: [4] "Kaome I was and Kaome I shall remain." [5] "Bloodiest warrior, I could give voice to that which was put forth in battle." [6] "Henceforth all men have called me Deathand." [7] "Worldborn I am, but my true habitation is beyond the cosmos." [8] "For who among you here was there to tell if my flesh was meat or fish?" [9] "All manner of implements have come unto me." [10] "There was a blade made in the cold depths of the dark of the earth, cooled in tears fallen from Angels as they wept on the wracks." [11] "On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, upon a forge of blood, there sat helm crafted by the Dead and left to be worn by the Damned." [12] "A suit of armor forged by the Forsaken was gifted to me to slate my hunger for battle." [13] Here the Deathand grew agitated venting unseen power into the very air. [14] He spoke hotly saying: [15] "The spite of a Deamon rages within me." [16] "The wrath of the Angel of War is NOTHING compared to my black rage." [17] "I have yet to cause a field of blood." [18] "Slick and red my blade and shield." [19] "Ah, but bright gold my shield ring." [20] His ire cooled, he spoke softly saying: [21] "Ah but these things have yet to happen and have already happened." [22] "We are a vile thing to behold."

Written by the Hand of the Kan Codifier, Nihlus Acto, Year of the Scavenger
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 am

From the Book of Magic, Chapter 17

Thorns of the Warsinger

[1] And it happened in the days of the Dragon that the city of Gar'Lopi rebelled [2] and their Witch-King, Basor, raised his banners against the Order [3] and Basor was skilled in the ways of the Old magic [4] and the armies of the Order were powerless against his sorceries. [4] And the Deathand was full of wrath.

[5] He called upon his Council and they met in the Scar; [6] the Kan Codifier, Brother Bush, the High Reclaimer, Brothar Lokar [7] The Harbinger of the Rising Dusk, Brother Dusk, also known as the Grand Scurator, [8] the Lorekeeper, Brother Sent,[9] and the Warsinger of the Order of the Rose, Sister Scarlet and all the other members of his Council[10] and they all met in the Bastion of the Scar.

[11] And the Deathand said to his Council "This rebel seeks to destroy the Order [12] and he practices the dark arts of the forbidden magic [13] to attack the champion of the Serpent himself! [14] How should we meet this threat?" [15] But the Council said nothng, except for Brother Dusk. [16] He said "The Old magic is not as strong as it once was. [17] This Witch-King is little more than a petty magician [18] whose magic is but illusions and sparks. [19] I shall compose a spell to defeat this rebel once and for all." [20] And this plan pleased the Deathand and his Council.

[21] But the Warsinger disagreed. [22] She said "This threat is beneath such effort. [23] I shall defeat this man and restore the Order [24] in half the time it takes Brother Dusk to finish his spell." [25] And the Deathand smiled at this and consented [26] despite the protestations of the Grand Scurator. [27] And he said "Compose your spell, Comrade, but I have faith in Sister Red." [28] And Brother Dusk left the Council to begin his work [29] and the Warsinger went forth from the Scar with the Order of the Rose behind her.

[30] And the Kan Codifier traveled with her [31] and he asked of her "What plans do you have to defeat this magical foe?" [32] But the Warsinger was silent. [33] And the Kan Codifier and the women of the Order arrived at the field of Huron [34] filled with lavender flowers of Spring.

[35] And the armies of the Witch-King came upon them [36] casting his spells upon the defenseless Order. [37] The Kan Codifier turned to the Warsinger and questioned her once again. [38] He asked "The Old Magics combat my own and I cannot overcome him. [39] How do you plan to defeat him?"

[40] And the Warsinger said nothing [41] but began to sing and the armies of Gar'Lopi stopped in fear [42] for the reputation of the Warsinger was widespread [43] after the fall of the White Castle. [44] But the Witch-King pushed them harder and they turned to fight. [45] They charged into the field of flowers [46] and Sister Red completed her song. [47] The lavender flowers sprouted thorns [48] and the Witch-King's army cried in pain [49] as the thorns cut them and the Order descended upon them [50] and the Witch-King fled, but the Warsinger caught him [51] and she bound him and brought him to the Council.

[51] And the Deathand congratulated the Warsinger on her victory [52] and all were impressed with her strategy. [53] And the Deathand said "To defeat the army, we searched for a way to defeat the king, [54] but you sought to defeat the king, and searched for a way to defeat the army. [55] You have restored the Order, Lady of Thorns." [56] And Brother Dusk acknowledged her victory [57] saying "You boasted of completing your mission in half the time I could complete my spell [58] and I thought you a proud fool [59] but now I am humbled by your methods, Sister Scarlet."

[60] And the Order was united once again [61] and the land was peaceful [62] and the fields of Huron were renamed the Field of Thorns after the Warsinger's battle.

Written in the hand of the Kan Codifier

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:28 pm

From the Book of War, Chapter 28

The High Reclaimer's Wrath

[1] And Brothar Lokar led the Crusaders home victorious [2] with riches and spoils from the Heart of the Wetlands. [3] They stayed in the Valley of Mar'Kass [4] named for the Dragon who had lived there. [5] For ten days they camped there [6] and on the eleventh raiders from the mountain clans descended upon the camp [7] while the Crusaders were deep in their cups. [8] And the raiders slaughtered many a men and stole away with the spoils.

[9] And the High Reclaimer was full of wrath. [10] What was left of his men where gathered [11] and they turned to the Mountains of the Stars [12] the home of the fifteen mountain clans. [13] And Brothar Lokar led his men through the mountain paths, slaying all in their path. [14] It was the raiders of the Blood, Wolf, Sun, and Crescent Moon Clans that had incurred the High Reclaimer's wrath [15] yet none that crossed this crusade lived.

[16] And the Crusaders came upon the Ten Tower Castle, the bastion of Sun Clan. [17] Its walls were as tall as a thousand full grown men and as thick as fifty oxen. [18] Within its barriers the Sun Clan ruled the Dragon Mountain unchallenged. [19] And the cowardly raiders stayed behind their walls, taunting the High Reclaimer. [20] Brother Lokar rode up to the walls alone and unarmed. [20] And he bellowed a cry in his language [21] and it echoed throughout the mountain and in the valley [22] and the walls began to crack.

[23] The Ten Towers, except one, toppled and the walls collapsed from the might of his scream [24] and the Crusaders poured forth, killing all in the castle. [25] And the Sun Clan ended that day [26] though the sole remaining tower still stands. [27] It is called the Bellowing Tower.

[28] And the Blood and Wolf clans heard what happened to the Sun Clan [29] and the two joined together to fight the High Reclaimer's army. [30] They hid themselves high in the Hawk Cliffs [31] and the Crusaders could not reach them. [32] The Blood clan was enemies with the Snow Clan [33] and the Snow Clan approached the High Reclaimer to aid him. [34] They said "There are paths inside the mountains [35] hidden from the outside that lead to the Hawk Cliffs. [36] If you will aid us in defeating our enemy, we will guide you through the mountains." [37] And the High Reclaimer agreed and guides were sent.

[38] And the Blood and Wolf Clans saw that their enemy was leaving [39] and they celebrated their victory with dancing and wine for seven days. [40] On the eighth day they stopped, exhausted. [41] The High Reclaimer had arrived on the sixth day, but waited within the caves. [42] And on the eighth day his army appeared and slaughtered the raiders within their beds. [43] And thus the Blood and Wolf Clans were destroyed and the Snow Clan gained the Hawk Cliffs.

[44] The Crescent Moon Clan, the strongest of the four, had heard of the destruction of their allies. [45] The chieftain was skilled in the arts of magic and created wards to protect his lands. [46] And the High Reclaimer could not pass [47] but camped on the border for six days, his anger still hot. [48] There was a mage in the Crusaders named Brother Sent, the Order's historian. [49] And Brother Sent approached the High Reclaimer, saying that while his magic could not remove the wards [50] he could disable them for one person to slip through. [51] And the High Reclaimer approved of this plan.

[52] Before dawn on the seventh day, Brother Sent cast his spell [53] and the High Reclaimer crossed into the lands of Crescent Moon. [54] And the High Reclaimer's wrath was so great that he cut through anyone he came across. [55] No one could stop him. [56] And Brother Lokar made his way towards the Great Hall where the chieftain sat [57] maintaining the boundaries that kept the Crusaders out. [58] And the High Reclaimer chopped off his head and stuck it on a pike outside the hall. [59] Thus the Crescent Moon Clan was brought down by one man.

[60] His wrath assuaged, Brothar Lokar led the Crusaders back to the Scar [61] laden with the spoils of war.

Written in the hand of the Kan Codifier.

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:42 pm

From the Tome, "The Shattered Stars", Volume I

The Fall of Order
The Battle of the Bloodfort, the Exiled Dragon Returns, The Flight of the Legions

[1] The Order ruled unchallenged for centuries and their castles were spread across the land, [2] yet one of the most magnificent was the Bloodfort, [3] the Bastion of Lord Xaris, Leader of the Vanguard [4] and general in the Order of Secrets. [5] Lord Xaris guarded the pass between the Mountains of the Stars and the valley below [6] and held it from the mountain clans that had been subdued. [7] During the Great Famine, apocrypha began to spread through the valley, [8] teachings that went against the sacred teachings of the Order.

[9] And Lord Xaris sent out his soldiers to suppress the heretical teachings [10] but for every disciple he arrested, two more appeared. [11] The Vanguard was helpless [12] and soon, even its members began to study the apocrypha. [13] Rumors of a man who would end the famine [14] and save the Order spread like wildfire through the populace. [15] The rumors said that this man would replace the failing Order [16] and create from its ashes a new Order. [17] And this man, the Dragon, would defeat the Deathand and his champions in combat and restore the Order to its glory.

[18] A former solider of the Order began to travel through the empire [19] claiming to be the prophesied Dragon. [20] And he would perform miracles for the common folk, [21] make it rain where it was dry and grow where it was dead. [22] And everywhere he went, his followers increased [22] until he had a small army, based in the valleys beneath the Mountains of the Stars. [23] And people flocked to his camp every day.

[24] Lord Xaris knew that it was his responsibility to end this rebellion [25] and he recalled the Vanguard from across the country, and they met in the Valley of Tears. [26] And the Dragon's army laid siege to the Bloodfort [27] and for ten days the people in the castle starved [28] and it was almost in open revolt, [29] and the walls were breached [30] when the Vanguard's banners appeared above the valley. [31] And the Vanguard smashed the Dragon's army of peasants [32] and lifted the siege of the Bloodfort, though the cost was heavy for both sides. [33] But the Dragon had slipped away in the Chaos [34] and the Deathand ordered the entire Order that he was to be killed if he returned.

[35] And so the Bloodfort was saved [36] but the Famine continued and the Apocrypha continued to spread. [37] It was said that the Dragon had been killed in battle, only to rise again. [38] The soldier's name was lost and he became simply known as the Dragon [39] and people still flocked to hear the teachings [40] awaiting their savior's return.

[41] And the Order was fractured as the Famine took its toll. [42] People whispered about the coming of the Dragon [43] and the common children played games of the Dragon's conquest. [44] For a year, the Dragon remained in hiding [45] though every now and then, he'd be seen before disappearing once again. [46] His students spread his teachings and soon his banners could be seen in town squares. [47] And the Deathand ordered the Crusaders and the Vanguard to hunt for the Dragon [48] but their search was futile, for no one would reveal where he was hiding.

[49] News reached the Lord Xaris that the Bloodfort was under attack from the mountain clans [50] and he took his army and marched back to the pass. [51] When he arrived, he saw the banners of the Order had been torn down [52] and the Dragon's banners were in their place. [53] And the mountain clans descended upon the Vanguard, led by the exiled savior. [54] And the Vanguard was pushed against the walls of the Bloodfort [55] when the Dragon's army left the walls and crushed the Vanguard. [56] Lord Xaris died that day and those that survived fled or took up the Dragon's banner.

[57] All across the Order, towns and villages raised their arms in revolt [58] and every day a new village had gone over to the Dragon. [59] And the Order was pushed back as the Dragon's armies marched across the land [60] taking castles and fortresses as they went. [61] Everyday, their army grew and the strength of the Order waned. [62] And the armies of the Order lost battle after battle [63] until it was driven from the northern lands completely. [63] And the legions turned and fled [64] and the Dragon's armies followed them and caught up with them [65] in the desert of Era Nos, the Night King.

Written in the hand of the Kan Codifier

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:07 pm

From the Tome, "The Shattered Stars", Volume I

The Crusade of Fire
The Fields of Era Nos, Brothar Lokar Holds the Pass, The Deathand’s Charge

[66] The Night King was a sorcerer bound to the Order [67] though he had yet to leave his lands to aid them. [67] Era Nos saw the armies arrayed before his fortress and turned to his advisor, [68] the shadow walker, Jakin Marak, slayer of Kaj’el, the giant. [69] and Era Nos asked him [70] “Tell me, Jakin, what should I do? The Order is weak [71] and the Dragon is strong. [71] Should I lead my force out to destruction?

[72] And Jakin Marak replied [73] “The Dragon cannot win, my lord, if you help the Order. [74] I believe I have a plan that will assure your victory [75] If you are to follow my advice, lord, the day is yours.” [76] And Era Nos heard the plan and it pleased him.

[77] And the legions of the Order were lead by the Horse Master Sargun [78] the leader of the Order of the Lance. [79] And Brother Sargun summoned the three other Generals [80] Brother Bush, the Kan Codifier, Brothar Lokar, the High Reclaimer, and Sister Scarlet, the Warsinger [81] and he said to them [82] “Comrades, for the last season we have been chased [83]and our forces nearly spent [84] yet we can run no further. [85] It is here we must make a stand against the Dragon [86] despite his stronger force.” [87] And the other three agreed.

[88] The Kan Codifier spoke [89] “We dwell within the Night King’s lands and he is our ally, [90] shall we not send for assistance? [91] His advisor, Jarkin Marak, was once as a brother to me.” [92] But the Warsinger disagreed. [93] “The Night King is craven, as he has not yet sent out his force to honor his oath. [94] He is as likely to turn to the Dragon as he is to help us.” [95] Brother Sargun said [96] “I have already sent out runners to Era Nos [97] and they have not yet returned. [98] We must prepare as though we are alone.”

[99]Brother Lokar said [100] “What friends we have left cower in their castles [101] as we alone fight to save the Order. [102] The Warsinger is right, we need no help from those who lack the strength to fight. [103] I shall tear the Dragon apart with my own hands. [104] All those who betrayed us shall face my wrath.” [105] Brother Bush said nothing else, and the four left to prepare for the battle [106] in the desert of Era Nos, the Night King.

[107] And the armies of the Dragon met with the legions in battle [108] on the sixteenth day of the seventh month. [109] For five days the forces fought, yet neither side was victorious [110] and every night the armies would break and gather their dead. [111] As darkness fell on the end of the fifth day [112] Brother Bush entered his tent to find the shadow walker, Jakin Marak, standing there. [113] And the two greeted each other as friends [114] and Jakin Marak said [115] “Era Nos wishes to support the Order [116] and fulfill his oath [117] yet his army is weak. [118] Under my advice, the Night King has waited for this moment [119] and soon the Dragon will fall.”

[120] The Kan Codifier said [121] “What trickery is this that you have planned, my friend?” [122] The shadow walker did not answer [123] and quickly vanished from the tent. [124] Brother Bush was left standing alone. [125] He left his tent to find the Horse Master to repeat what he had just been told.

[126] Brother Sargun and the Warsinger were discussing the day’s battle when Brother Bush appeared from the shadows. [127] Neither spoke as he repeated his tale. [128] And the three sent for the High Reclaimer to plan the next day’s battle.

[127] As the sun rose the next day [128] men lined the walls of the Night King’s castle [129] and the Dragon grew angry at the defiance [130] and marched his men to the walls, destroying the defenses quickly. [131] As his men walked through the castle [132] they began to lose their sight as darkness descended [133] and stumbled through the halls blind. [134] From the shadows of the keep the Night King’s forces emerged [135] and slew the blind force of the Dragon [136] whose numbers were exhausted from the five days [137] that they turned to flee [138] only to find the forces of the Order waiting for them. [139] And the Dragon’s army ran from the field beaten [140] though the Dragon himself escaped.

[140] Despite being defeated in the desert of Era Nos [141] the Dragon still managed to raise another army from the remains of his first [142] and the Famine continued to spread across the world [143] and the people flocked once more to the Dragon.

[144] The Legions of the Order stayed outside the Night King’s castle [145] until they had gathered enough supplies to return to the Scar. [146] The Dragon heard about these events [147] and marched his army towards the Mountains of the Moon to defeat the Order. [148] Despite their victory, the forces of the Order were tired [149] and numbered only seven hundred men. [150] The Dragon’s army was more than thrice the size of the Order [151] with nearly two thousand, five hundred men [152] all rabble raised from across the land.

[153] And the Order passed through the Pass of Mar’ka [154] when the Dragon’s forces caught up with them [155] and the four Generals met once more. [156] Brother Sargun said [157] “We cannot fight in this area [158] for our numbers and strength is weak. [159] If we can make it to the Scar [160] we can wipe this worm from existence.” [161] Brother Bush replied [162] “Yes, Brother, but how do we reach the Scar? [163] The Dragon’s forces come behind us and though we are superior fighters [164] their numbers could overwhelm us.” [165] Brothar Lokar rose from his seat and said [166] “My Crusaders and I shall hold the pass. [167] As long as I stand, they will not cross.” [168] Brother Bush said [169] “Do not underestimate them, Brothar, [170] for despite your strength, you are but one man.” [171] At these words, the High Reclaimer grew enraged [172] and drew his sword as if to slay the Kan Codifier [173] but the words of the Warsinger quickly interrupted the fight. [174] “Let us not forget that this is the man who brought the Crescent Moon clan down by himself. [175] Though far less numerous, they were warriors [176] unlike the peasants that chase us.” [177] And the four agreed to send the Crusaders to hold the Pass of Mar’ka.

[178] And the Dragon’s forces came upon the mountain pass [179] the massive horde that had rallied to his call [180]and found the High Reclaimer waiting for them. [181] And he said to the army that was laid out in front of him [182] “You mongrels dare chase those the Deathand favors? [183] We are those the Angels fear! [184] Countries bend to our will, and walls crumble at our voices [185] and yet still you defy us? [186] Very well then, curs! Test your strength against my steel! [187] As long as I stand, not a man shall pass! [188] I give you once last chance, rebels! Leave! Or perish in this spot!”

[189] And the Dragon’s forces were terrified [190] for they all knew of the High Reclaimer’s victories. [191] And not a man stepped forward to accept the challenge. [192] Every day at dawn, Brothar Lokar would rise and wait, yet no man came to face him. [193] And on the fourth day, the High Reclaimer once more stood before the army [194] alone and unarmed [195] and shouted at the Dragon’s forces. [196] “You call yourselves men? I’ve seen more bravery from lambs! [196] Is this the best the Dragon can summon? [197] An army of sheep wearing men’s clothing? [198] I have given you four days to accept my challenge and none have. [198] WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE? [199] I came for a fight, yet this is what I receive? [200] Fine! Then I shall bring the fight to you! [201] This is your last warning! Flee now! Or you shall all die where you stand!”

[202] And the High Reclaimer finished his speech [203] and charged down the mountain, screaming in his language [204] and the Dragon’s forces were frightened and broke [205] and the Crusaders chased them from the Pass of Mar’ka all the way back to the Bloodfort. [206] And there the Dragon’s army turned and faced the High Reclaimer [207] taking safety in their numbers.

[208] The Crusaders could not fight such a large force [209] despite their superior training. [210] For a full day, the Crusaders held against the horde [211] yet their morale was sinking. [212] The Crusaders almost broke when a voice boomed down from the mountains saying [213] “Who dares challenge the might of the Deathand? [214] Thamos! Turn and face your doom for I have returned!” [215] And the armies turned and saw the banners of the Vanguard [216] and in their head stood the one man that not even the Angels dared challenged. [217] And the Dragon’s forces once more broke and ran [218] for not one of them wished to fight the Deathand. [219] And the Deathand lead the Vanguard in a charge [220] smashing into the Dragon’s army [221] and the field outside the Bloodfort ran red [222] as the Dragon’s men fell one by one [222] until only he remained standing [223] and the High Reclaimer approached him and said [223] “I swore to my brothers that I would tear you apart with my bare hands. I shall not disappoint.” [224] And the High Reclaimer threw his sword on the ground and the two fought [225] and the High Reclaimer held the Dragon’s head up high [226] and the men of the Order cheered. [227] And the first battle of the Crusade of Fire ended with the Order’s triumph.

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 am

"And lo, the Deathand did wage war against the sons of man, wrapping himself in the armor of contempt."
~ Preface to The War of Shadows

[1] 'Twas early in the Age of the Ox that the Deathand traveled to the tombs of the ancestors and delved into the depths of the corpse cities. [2] Hearing tales of walking abominations and lesser filth that plagued the once sacred places, he sought to end the trail of blood that stained the Deadstones. [3] There, at the House of Sacred Remains, did he find the source of the dire work being done. [4] A Cabal of men and beasts consorted with the dregs of Hel and affronted the light of Heaven as they did gire and gymble in the gabe. [5] The Deathand spoke from the shadows saying in a still small voice that drifted to the Acolyte of the Great Horned One who led the Cabal. [6] "Verily I speak with thee, for you show a promise that your master doth not. Pray thee, slay him with thine might, that thou would gain what he hath lost." [7] And the Acolyte did look about, finding none but his brothers and beasts about him and he did tremble. [8] Again the Deathand spoke in a still small voice, finding the ear of a diseased Neophyte girl. [9] "Verily I do speak with thee, for I am ashamed that your flesh is covered by garbs so unfitting. Might that you shed them for thou would strike a fire in the hearts of man and beast alike." [10] And the Neophyte did look about herself, before gazing toward her bosom and a light did play about her face. [11] Again the Deathand spoke in a still small voice, finding the ear of an elder Practicus. [12] "Verily I speak with thee, for thou should have more than thou hast gained. That you should raise your arms and call for power enough to impress thine leader and display for him the energies of the world." [13] And the Practicus did smile and commune with the aether foolishly. [14] Once more the Deathand spoke in a still small voice from the shadows, whispering to the Great Horned One. [15] "Your enemies shall make themselves known to thee, for thou hast pleased me servant and should thou defeat thine foes, thine riches would grow tenfold...but 'ware thine flock, for wolves lie amongst the sheep and feed upon thine power." [16] And the Great Horned One did cry out against the voice in his head causing the Cabal to start and defend themselves with power. [17] And the Neophyte did stand, revealing her defiled flesh, causing panic to mark the Cabal. [18] And the Practicus did display his power, for lightning did shoot forth from his hands, slaying a tenth of the Cabal. [19] And the Great Horned One did incur a terrible wrath from his false god, exploding with a force to slay his flock, who was in turn slain by his Acolyte who plunged a dagger in his masters heart upon his death. [20] And yet the Great Horned One did not die, for the man was man no more, now a force of pure hatred. [21] And the Deathand did step forth from the shadows and face the construct. [22] "Though you be no mortal man, I shall see thee slain by my hand." [23] And battle did wage for hours, yet at length the Deathand grew victorious, sealing the essence of the beast in a gem that pierced its spine. [24] The House crumbled as such energies were made slave to another and the Deathand crept into the shadows as the House fell. [25] Ye, did the Deathand walk in the light once more, before taking the gem to the Forge of Vulcan and bartering with the Forsaken that manned the furnace. [26] Thus the Armor of Contempt was forged...and the Deathand one step closer to War.
- - -
Cruor Vult

Kaome Sky Deathand

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:58 pm

And they forged something so loathsome and vile they had to turn their heads away as they made it.
~ A fragment from the Bone Chimes
- - -
[27] And the Deathand crossed the great Ocean of Fire and marked the passing of the year. [28] And the Age of the Ox came to a close as the Age of the Crone began. [29] And the Deathand stood with the Kaelis-Ra in one hand and the Armor of Contempt was garbed about his body and his voice shook the mountains where he rested. [30] Ye the people of the mountain did not greet the mighty host and fled into the caves. [31] And lo, the Deathand did march again across the Ocean of Fire and find himself before a mizzer. [32] "Speak, what thou must and hence begone from me shade, your lies proceed before ye like an air of vapors." [33] And the mizzer spake in a wretched voice to the Deathand. [34] "What does though seeketh? What is thine purpose here?" [35] And the Deathand drew forth power into his body and caught the mizzer by the throat. [36] "I seek the mountain of Skulls where you and yours have crafted a helm of battle to be worn by the damned." [37] And the mizzer laughed, even in the grip of the Deathand and pointed to the ground. [38] "Would that your eyes be lifted from this world to the next, for lo, ye already stand upon a mountain of skulls." [39] And the Deathand looked, and he saw, for the Ocean of Fire was not of sand, ye but of bone. [40] And the Deathand did bleed the mizzer of it's earthy shell and cast it to the ground, and there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth. [41] And the Deathand did stand once more and call upon his powers to lift the veil and he beheld the hole in which one could travel to the realm of the dead. [42] And the Deathand did lower himself into that great dead sea...and almost did not come back.
- - -
Cruor Vult

Return to “Collected Works”