Desdinova, Shadow of the Fallen Star

If you want to suggest a hero or a modification to a current hero, please make a new topic and post it here. Please follow the stickied setup for suggestions (Unless it's a modification).
Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Re: Desdinova, Shadow of the Fallen Star

Post by Loki » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:51 am

I thought it was obvious - so that the ground-cleaving chaotic and uncontrollable ground hero doesn't hurt him. This lets him fully interact with it on all levels without suffering the biggest drawback of its design - allied damage. That's heck of interaction, man, plenty enough so that the innate counts, is valuable, and defines the gameplay.
That doesn't sound right to me at all. In fact, I got a complete opposite reaction from that.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:14 am

Purely mechanical aspects of heroes really can't be left strictly to interpretation, though. Whether you like it or not is up to you and completely fair game, but from a mechanical standpoint it both makes sense and fits all the necessary requirements for an innate.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:27 am

But I don't see it working from a mechanical standpoint at all, I believe that it doesn't fit as an innate at all because it just because a certain ability doesn't allow him to be affected allows him to carry one of the most imba qualities of a hero.
That isn't even good interaction.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:33 am

It being an innate actually allows you to let it more define the hero than you're thinking. Due to the flight, he would obviously be very fragile and very weak in and of himself. Perhaps you could link them further, so that the Tarasque and the main hero have the same % life at all times. (As I suggested to Death originally) It opens up a lot of "You can balance the hero by tweaking numbers in X way," also him being hooked to the ground unit prevents the really lame "I'm going to fly over a cliff to dodge you" stuff.

That's all balance, though. You've got to remember that balance has nothing to do with hero design - and really, this isn't one of those cases where something is imbalanced in principle. (Normally, flying is, but this is a rather creative way to balance it out, honestly)

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:58 am

Hu, if he's uncontrollable how do you... play the hero(es)? Does he follow you? Does he have to be in a certain range near you? The other way around?

And cleave damage that hits allies is... horrible?
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:00 am

I haven't actually looked at the skills, but I suspect that with them you'd guide him around and be able to prioritize targets.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:55 am

Well there's no explanation how it's supposed to work and the current abilites aren't enough. There are one and a half abilites (not counting the ult) that allow you to "guide" him. And that one ability where you actually order him to move to a target point can't be spammable for obvious balance reasons. So...
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Well, to be honest, my thought for that was largely to just have the Tarasque follow you until it finds something better to do. Kinda like (and I'm moderately stretching for this analogy) the giant bug in Monsters V Aliens, it's phenomenally powerful, but to move it into position, they just hang a bright light in front of it which it just kinda follows. The same would be true in this, except that "bright light" would be Desdinova, who would have the Tarasque follow him like a lost puppy til combat starts, at which point, it goes into "eat shit" mode.

The cleave that hits allies part is basically an excuse for him to completely change the dynamic of the lane he's in. Myriad is another example of this, if Myriad's in your lane, you're not just dealing with creeps now, but instead with this huge swarm of things. I guess the reason I feel I can get away with this in Aot3 is that none of the rules have to apply. If a hero can balls his way through running differently, then more power to him.

What about the individual skills though, anyone have any real thoughts on those? Maligned Fate and Tyranny are the ones I'm most concerned about, Maligned Fate in how it works (does it really need to be preparation, or would autocast work just as smoothly, if not better), and Tyranny I'm just not sure about (Sure it "synergizes" with the Tarasque and Devil's Star, as you'll hurt it, but in the process kill tons of shit, and thus work up the regen, but I'm not too sure about it)
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Psiclone
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Location: As you can see from my avatar, I'm currently on the run from a--OH MY GOD!

Post by Psiclone » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:52 pm

This hero has just become considerably cooler in my mind. Whereas before your flying skill seemed a bit random and strange related to the rest of his skills, the combination of making him always fly but at the same time being more connected to the Tarrasque makes him really unique and interesting in that the Tarrasque and he act as a team that shares both their strengths and their weaknesses.

Also, Supermassive Hunger is an awesome skill name XD
Intellectuals are like the Mafia; they only kill their own.
-Woody Allen -
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hero Suggestions”