Aos Theory-Crafting

All discussion relating to WC3 on the whole should be posted in this forum. If you are looking for beta testers or would like to advertise your map, do so here. All sub-forums created for specific maps over the duration of this website's existence are located in this forum.
Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Aos Theory-Crafting

Post by Oxygen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:06 pm

Might be hard to make, but might be amazing if it's pulled off correctly.

I've been active on the aom forums lately, and convinced everyone to start working on aom again.

Guess what.

We're currently working on every spells, one by one, and making them stats based

We have one done so far! Whee!

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 pm

Yay.. Make AoM more cluttered. >_>
Your move.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:32 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote: I still disagree with the choice to base everything on attribute. Flat numbers are so much more intuitive and you can always boost them in other ways. What keeps you from just having items/abilities/etc. that "Boost spell damage by X%"?
Flat numbers are nice but when you want to make diverse spells its hard to implement them.

If a spell that conjures an elemental and one that deals DoT adding a flat value would be hard to do... Though your idea of giving skills level sounds interesting. I personally would associate each skill with an spell attribute and make so that changes in spell attribute reflect on the spells procentually (Necromancy skill casted at 150% necromancy is three times stronger than skill casted at 50% necromancy).
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Deschain wrote:Flat numbers are nice but when you want to make diverse spells its hard to implement them.
If you want to make diverse spells you simply have to make % bonuses more accessible. No need to complicate things with attribute dependency.
Oxygen wrote:Guess what.
We're currently working on every spells, one by one, and making them stats based
We have one done so far! Whee!
AoM has far more pressing matters to attend to than adding an extra quarter-dozen additional numbers to tooltips... The least you could do is motivate him to improve the map, not dive it deeper into cataclysm.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:53 pm

I hope it's somewhat simple to calculate them..or at least estimate them..

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:
Deschain wrote:Flat numbers are nice but when you want to make diverse spells its hard to implement them.
If you want to make diverse spells you simply have to make % bonuses more accessible. No need to complicate things with attribute dependency.
Accessible? In what way? You mean as displaying it somehow to the player?

assassingao
Teh UBER Typist

Post by assassingao » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Deschain wrote:
Rising_Dusk wrote:
Accessible? In what way? You mean as displaying it somehow to the player?
He means making it manipulatable to some degree, but not by using attributes.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Accessible in terms of being easy to find and use. A buff skill could boost magick damage dealt by an ally. Or an item could add a stackable 5% to spell damage, etc. You could make a flat bonus per primary attribute to spell damage, lots of really easy and accessible things. However, it's far more reasonable to do it in this manner than "X + (Y*attribute)" because it requires no actual calculations. You can totally guesstimate what 50% of 100 damage is, but I can't estimate 100 + 2.4*INT when I have 63 INT. I have to sit down and crank the numbers out then.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Wufei
Champion Noobite

Post by Wufei » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:01 pm

Well, if anyone has tried Aeon of Dominion, that's an interesting concept... depending on how you play the hero, it gains stats. Every hero starts with abilities at level 1, and whenever skills are activated/procced a certain amount of times, they level up. To gain strength, you have to take damage (Hence tanks become more tank-like). To gain agility, you have to attack. To gain intelligence, you have to cast spells. Since tanks are usually limited in mana capacity, they won't have much intelligence, because they can't cast their spells very often. They'll have moderate agility(They can't attack that fast) and high strength (They'll be in the thick of combat). So a tank hero becomes a tank. As for ults, if you take a certain amount of damage, you gain your ult, which is a certain level just as mentioned before for leveling. I can host it today, if anyone requests.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Wufei wrote:Well, if anyone has tried Aeon of Dominion, that's an interesting concept... depending on how you play the hero, it gains stats.
AoD concept has problems. Each hero has a main attribute which is the most logical thing to level. Second agility hero due to errors in map were imba (not a good attack system). You could attack towers to gain agility. Overall it felt a bit meh... Having levelable skills is something I prefer to see in AoS.

Dusk: Really? Funny I was planning of doing heroes that way...

Return to “Generic Warcraft 3 Chat”