The Death of a Lion

A place to talk about serious "real life" stuff without having to place it in between a demand by Blankie for food and Logue's latest almost-pr0n thread.
Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

The Death of a Lion

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:12 pm

I don't know, I suppose I might as well post a topic for this. To pay our respects I suppose.

Although I'm too young to have known what Ted Kennedy had done for the US, me being so young, it's a shame he was taken from us by cancer.

There is a lot for me to do expect be sad for the family, pray that my condolences mean something, and to respect him.

Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy (February 22, 1932 – August 25, 2009)

The last thing I'll say is something I could think about this great man that is so highly respected by our country.

He lived as long as one man but what he did was enough to say that he had lived a hundred times...

Comments about this unfortunate thing? I know everyone has to die and that a lot of people do die everyday... But what are your thoughts on death and the way it affects others? Do you believe there is something after death? Is it just black after death, is there nothing beyond it?

crayon
Last edited by Intoxicated Crayon on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
English should not be a prerequisite for intelligence,

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: The Death of a Lion

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 pm

I'll toast to that. Cheers, Ted, and may ye' live on forever in the hearts of men.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:15 pm

Not to speak ill of the dead, and my condolences go out to the family, but Ted Kennedy was, for lack of a better word, a bum. He rode a political horse of his family's name, that's it.

In 1969, the body of former campaign manager of Robert Kennedy was found in Ted's car, which was overturned and at the bottom of a pond. It was only later that Ted Kennedy pleaded guilty to walking away from a scene of a crime, as he learned from the family lawyers that it was how he would be able to escape murder or manslaughter charges. Ted refused to allow his chauffeur to drive and instead took the woman from a party the night of the incident, even though her purse and hotel key were still at the party. He "accidentally" took a wrong turn down an unlit dirt road, when looking for the ferry. Then upon leaving the pond he walked back to the house where the party was held, claiming that he never passed anywhere that he could call for help, even though the path took him past several occupied houses. He then went back to his hotel, never calling the authorities, and made no more mention of it until authorities contacted him the following day when a fisherman found his car.

He was known as the lion of the senate not because of his "ferociousness" or aggressiveness but for his leading both democrats and republicans in getting bills passed. He did this not because he actually felt strongly about the issues, but because he was good at speaking, that's it. All he did was convince people who didn't want to think that he would think for them, no more/ no less.

Like I said, I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but Ted Kennedy wasn't some great figure head, he was just a greatly-known one, mostly for what his last name was. It's the same as mourning a celebrity, like people's reactions to Michael Jackson's death.
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Bandwagon, do you ride it?

Jericho Veronus
Blasphemer

Post by Jericho Veronus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Oxygen wrote:Bandwagon, do you ride it?
Though I'm not sure if this was meant for me, if it was, then no, i don't!

Contrary to belief it is possible to have original opinion that coincides with popular thought.
May God have mercy on your soul, for you shall find none here!

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:04 pm

Jericho Veronus wrote:Contrary to belief it is possible to have original opinion that coincides with popular thought.
This.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 am

Back to seriousness now...

About "life after death", I think it's okay to believe in some sort of afterlife, if that comforts you. I personally don't think existence of consciousness after one's death is logical, but I see nothing wrong with faith.
Last edited by Greenspawn on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

Return to “Serious Discussion”