Your Melodic Blade Slices That Band

Everything social between absolutely anyone who can type a post. Although this is an open forum, avoid the typical bad forum conduct.
Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Your Melodic Blade Slices That Band

Post by Hydrolisk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:17 am

I'm interested in what bands and music genres people like and hate, and their cold, hard logic behind it.

And: if you could bring to justice a band for whatever reason (or do the justice of bringing a band to light), what band would it be, why, and how its punishment/award should be.

-

I like the bands Dream Evil and Disturbed. I love Heavy Metal and most Metal variations for its powerful beat/rythmic stability altough I also enjoy very melodic pieces as well. However, I simply can not stand the incessant whining and WTF-is-your-gender-voice qualities of emo music, where there terrible screaming is corkscrewing your head and bringing "annoyed" to a whole new level. I mean, honestly; you can scream and make it sound good, but I assure you that emo bands CAN NOT scream properly AT ALL. It's like nails driving through a chalkboard on an angle in a giant echoing cavern. Not pretty.

I think Dream Evil needs to be heard throughout, since I think the band has a good balance of melodic and rythmic and heavy songs, but each song has a perfect mix of every element required for a successful band. All it needs now is a larger fanbase.

Also, I believe that because of recent surgery, Distirbed's singer's voice changed. When I listened to a few samples of their newest album, I though that the change made their songs sounded off-pitch. The vocalist's pitch is all flat now and no longer has the same guttural quality it had before; a sad developement. Some generic higher power, please, restore that worthy vocalist's voice!
Last edited by Hydrolisk on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Your Melodic Blade Slices That Band

Post by Hell_Tempest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:25 am

What is up with you and these threads?

Anyway, I like pretty much the same genres you like, and hate the same ones, for the same reasons.

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Me and which threads? :(

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Hydrolisk wrote:Me and which threads? :(

The blood one, among others. Wasn't insulting, btw.

Bregan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Bregan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:05 pm

dragon force is both under and over rated at the same time. i find few people who act reasonably towards them. i like them because i enjoy the heavier type o music, and i enjoy the uplifting and wistful lyrics. its not love songs and crybaby bullshit. i find too many people who are all "OMFG ITS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN!!! ROOOOOOCK!!!" and too many people who are all "the lyrics suck, they just go crazy on the guitar with no music to it." its lame.

"within temptation" is better than "evanescence"

alex band is my favorite artist. long story, its just that the words of his songs have gotten me through many a hard time through the last 7 years.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forstall my return

StyrofoamBoots
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by StyrofoamBoots » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:33 am

Modest Mouse
Queens of the Stone Age
Mindless Self Indulgence
^Win^
Carpe Omnious.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:05 am

Um, Wolfmother. They rock.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Bregan wrote:dragon force is both under and over rated at the same time. i find few people who act reasonably towards them. i like them because i enjoy the heavier type o music, and i enjoy the uplifting and wistful lyrics. its not love songs and crybaby bullshit. i find too many people who are all "OMFG ITS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN!!! ROOOOOOCK!!!" and too many people who are all "the lyrics suck, they just go crazy on the guitar with no music to it." its lame.
I like a few Dragonforce songs, but really, they aren't that good. It's true they're all about speed (I take it that's what you meant by "go crazy"?). If you want an example of a great guitarist, try Jimi Hendrix. This is a good one. The whole song is great but around 3:10 is what it's most noted for. Little Wing is also very, very good - definitely my favorite by him.

Anyhow, as you can see I'm a big fan of rock; it's what I grew up listening to. However I do enjoy a wide variety of music, from classical/orchestra to some synthpop stuff to metal, so I'm not going to list all the bands I like. A couple I've been listening to a lot lately are Arcade Fire and Chevelle, 'cause I really like their new albums (well, mostly one song by Arcade Fire). If you like metal I recommend Chevelle's Vena Sera, though, as that whole album is pretty good.

StyrofoamBoots
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by StyrofoamBoots » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Is Chevelle seriously considered metal these days......
Carpe Omnious.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 pm

JIMI HENDRIX *Hugs Scarlet* FTW!

Little Wing is amazing, check out the Stevie Ray Vaughan cover (If you're fine with Texas Rock). All Along the Watchtower, my favorite Hendrix song :D. Star Spangled Banner and Wild Thing are examples of Jimi being one crazy sonofabitch. :D
An tírghrá Éireannach

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 pm

StyrofoamBoots wrote:Is Chevelle seriously considered metal these days......
Well, if you look them up they're considered "alternative" metal, but honestly, listen to something off Vena Sera. It's very different compared to some of their earlier stuff from what I've heard. I Get It and Midnight to Midnight are two I like.

Oh, and I already have some stuff by Stevie Ray Vaughn, Patriot. Ever hear Texas Flood? It's good. But yeah, Jimi rules. His take on All Along the Watchtower is great stuff.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:34 pm

E Nomine is pretty orgasmic, as Oxy will probably attest to.

Suicide Silence is pretty epic as well.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Yeah, Texas Flood :D. I haven't heard him do All Along the Watchtower though. I think I have his greatest hits, or something, and it has Taxman on there :D. It is various degrees of epic.
An tírghrá Éireannach

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Oh, I meant Jimi's cover of it. If Stevie has a cover I haven't heard it and to be honest I've never gotten too much into "Texas Rock", as you put it. Ryan Adams is supposed to be good, though, but I can't really confirm for myself as I've only heard a couple of songs and didn't really pay much attention. Like I said, I have yet to look into that specific genre much.

Bregan
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Bregan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:56 pm

anima libera

look it up.
its STUCK in my head.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forstall my return

Return to “The Social Experiment”