Google chrome

Everything social between absolutely anyone who can type a post. Although this is an open forum, avoid the typical bad forum conduct.
vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Google chrome

Post by vesuvan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:32 am

get it here.

Googles' web browser promises much faster rendering, increased stability, extendability, and usability. According to my tests, its memory usage compares favorably to firefox and opera. Most of the features are just potential capabilities, but as of now it delivers a few great functions.

Popups are confined to a particular tab, meaning while you are browsing one tab, the others can not interfere in any way. The browser also features a stealth browsing mode that does not store cookies or history. Another huge feature is that if a tab crashes, it cannot crash the entire browser. Google chrome can even save rich web media as an application that functions offline.

Things you won't find yet are plugins like flash, but flash is useless anyway, and community developed plugins will come soon as google chrome is open-source. The google software update is annoying though, and is difficult for some people to uninstall.

Again, the real power of this browser is it's fundamental design that enables tremendous extension and the capabilities of a browser that runs in multiple processes.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Google chrome

Post by Cooldood » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:50 am

I was just on my way here to ask if anyone had tried chrome yet :P

I'm messing around with it, and like Ves says it has a huge potential to be added-onto, and the beta looks really promising :)
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:22 am

Lol, nicely timed. Seriously. A while after the great premiere of new Firefox and Opera. We'll see how it develops, who knows. Maybe I'll switch, even though I love Opera so much ;P

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:34 am

vesuvan wrote: Things you won't find yet are plugins like flash, but flash is useless anyway, and community developed plugins will come soon as google chrome is open-source.
It is open-source. Where are mah plugins?

Also a get plugin window is displayed (similar to Firefox, on the same page you get chromium). But I didn't manage to get it to work. Lousy college comps.

Only thing to complain is that there isn't RPM or DEB binary for popular distros but there are ways to get them to work
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 am

i'll wait for the google OS kthnx.

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 am

erwtenpeller wrote:i'll wait for the google OS kthnx.
You already have one, but for mobiles.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:17 am

Lame name for an internet browser.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Vigor
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Vigor » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:49 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:Lame name for an internet browser.
How about "Internet Explorer". Highly creative I'd say.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moi Adore - Beaux - Sjiq - Ojaques - Guy - Threetron - Nollop

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:53 am

Wasn't it the first "popular" one, though? If so, I can understand something ludicrously intuitive like that for a name.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:05 am

Who cares about the name. I would use a product that has that kind of functionality even if it was called Robert McDuck's last Quakie.

Vigor
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Vigor » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 am

The name is everything.

Nobody would use Firefox if they had called it "Internet Explorer Deluxe".
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moi Adore - Beaux - Sjiq - Ojaques - Guy - Threetron - Nollop

Glortex
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Glortex » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:36 am

I was just on another forum and some quick details,
11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

And an example, Yup. Here's another scenario: Local band tries to make it big and posts their music on a/their webpage using the Chrome browser. Google may now use that song in any of their current or future advertising campaigns (e.g., television and/or radio commercials -- not just internet ads) without paying that band a dime.

Or try this one on for size: You code a game and distribute it (closed-source) online, and you just so happen to have uploaded it to your website with Google Chrome. Maybe you even charge people for your game. Google can edit your game to stick in the Google logo all over the place and then freely distribute the edited game in order to "promote" the Google search engine.

All in all, I'd say don't bother with it.
I play TF2.
Ok, so I live on TF2...

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 pm

Vigor wrote:The name is everything.

Nobody would use Firefox if they had called it "Internet Explorer Deluxe".
Ofc not. Name is trivial if the product delivers.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:06 pm

The name is never trivial because it impacts people trying it for the first time anyways. If a person never tries it because it sounds dumb (A la me), then you'll never sell your product to that person regardless of its quality. Google Chrome is a pretty terrible name and I don't particularly care to change from Firefox, so I won't even bother trying it.

You have to sell a product before you can get people hooked on it.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:50 pm

that copyright bullshit has got to go. When i post an image on the internet it is my goddamn image, and google needs to keep its grubby paws off my business, twinking fags.

Also, chrome is no worse then firefox, opera or safari. Hell, "Internet Explorer" to me sounds like the perfect name for a browser, as it keenly represents it perpouse, wich none of the other ones do, except maybe safari wich does imply somekind of journy.

So, whatever. It sounds pretty rad.

imo though, it should have been called "Google Browse"...

Return to “The Social Experiment”